Calsci windscreen impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron47

Reaction score
This is only MHO and your results may vary. I put a CalSci screen on my '07 this weekend. I don't remember the size but it's a +4 +2 I think. I am 5'10 and have a seat pad that raises me just a bit. I find that it does a great job of creating a nice quite, no-buffeting pocket at any speed and the material is perfectly clear. The only "dangit" I have is that the cutout hole near the bottom of the screen produces a "howl" at speeds above 60MPH in any position from about 25% raised and stops the howl at full raised position. It's annoying even with earplugs but not nearly as annoying as the stock screen. I will try a piece of tape as a temporary "plug" and see how it affects the function of the screen.

Not having anything else to compare this screen too, I think it is a huge improvement over stock. At $205 delivered, it seems a bit pricey, but heck, I just put $3.16 a gallon 87-octane in my tank today, so...... The package includes a nice cleaning cloth and bottle of cleanser, cloth storage bag for the old screen and a complete set of SS mounting screws. Nice touch. :)

I put on the Cal-Sci XL (I'm 6-2), before riding the new 08 back from D&H. Although I liked the Rifle better on the 07, the Cal-Sci works reasonably well; much better than stock. It would probably be perfect for someone 5'10"-5'11".

The only issue remaining is the air turbulence at the full up position (where I need it, for cold weather), which is expected. I ordered the CB w/flip, and hope it can be kept lower, thus eliminating the vertical turbulence issue for me.

Ron, your "howling" noise on the 07 may be due to the 2-piece bracket, not the Cal-Sci. I had the same problem on my 07, which is easily fixed with black silicone, between the 2 bracket bars. Oddly, the bigger shield made that noise worse than stock. The 08's now have a 1-pc bracket, which is silent.

You could be right. The noise wasn't there with the stock screen, but then again, there was so much buffeting maybe it couldn't be heard. I could make the noise go away by placing my hand to block the hole, so I assumed the hole was to blame. A piece of tape should prove or disprove that theory.

I have a calsci medium purchased off a forum member. It had been sitting in a box because I was enjoying the factory tall shield. I initially did not like the calsci because it took off so much air the slight lean forward position of the bars was uncomfortable without any wind to hold you up.

Now that I have my heli triple clamps installed the position is more relaxed so I tried it out.

The calsci is much quieter than the yamaha tall. I can ride the cal sci without earplugs when raised about 1/4 up. Buffeting is not an issue at lowest setting but above 2/3 up it starts to be annoying, but by that time I am almost looking through the shield and it is too much height anyways. I have the big cutout on my shield also but I dont notice anything unusual as far as sound. I used to have the cee bailey with flip but did not like it for me.

I will admit the factory tall is a great looking shield, the calsci looks much larger and not nearly as good, but I think the noise tradeoff may be worth it, at least while it is still cooler. I think the calsci may block too much air when it gets real hot here in Texas and the stock or tall shield will go back on.

enjoy the shield.