Camping on the way from the SF Bay Area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !
Reaction score
Hello campers.

I'm heading out Monday (July 27) for points up north. I plan to hit up camp sites along the way, no need to hurry. My goal is to be near Moscow Wednesday night so I can show up Thursday morning at the Best Western. Anyone care to join me?

Monday night - KOA near Mt. Shasta California

Tuesday night - KOA near Redmond Oregon

Wednesday night - KOA near Pomeroy Washington.

Here's the tentative route...

Picture1.png

I am willing to adjust the route as needed. The goal is to enjoy the trip!

Any takers?

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Brodie, I am looking at a map of Oregon,

and Redmond would be very close to my

first night destination, I am not camping

this trip, beds and hot showers for me!

FWFE

I assume you mean Monday the 27th?

We're planning a similar path and haven't decided on departure time from the Bay Area. The big difference is our "camping" is motels.... We are planning on Mt Shasta on Monday, the Bend on Tuesday as we have business associate we're meeting for dinner night, Enterprise OR on Wednesday, and Moscow Tuesday.

The route we were planning on Wednesday was Bend, 97/26 to Mt Vernon, 395 to Ukiah, 244 to La Grande, and 82 Enterprise. On Thursday 3/129 to Moscow. Our one given is Bend Tuesday for dinner. I've read good things about 244 and 3.

Perhaps we can hook up at least through Bend? Depending on when we leave here, we can to some exploring around Mt. Shasta. I grow up in the Shasta Valley (too many years ago :rolleyes: )

roy

Michael

I push a shopping cart every few days from my neighborhood back to the fish market down the road. Riding my AE, I got to do something with my left hand.

Brodie

Brodie! FOUR days to get to Moscow?

It's the one in Idaho, right?

You pushing a shopping cart up there?

Is it an AE thing? :D

[SIZE=8pt](I just woke up, and this place is a morgue.)[/SIZE]

Brodie! FOUR days to get to Moscow?

It's the one in Idaho, right?

You pushing a shopping cart up there?

Is it an AE thing? :D

[SIZE=8pt](I just woke up, and this place is a morgue.)[/SIZE]
Be nice Old Michael! Brodie enjoys the fine art of CBA riding. You should try it sometime! :lol:

I've looked at some motels/hotels vs KOA etc. and nothing is cheap. And camping requires carrying the camp gear. What to do......Might see you on the road Brodie as I plan on CBAing it myself. PM. <>< :unsure:

Brodie,

You might consider overnighting in Walla Walla rather than Pomeroy.

There is more to see and better restaurants. It'll add about an hour to your Thursday morning ride.

You could even eat at the Backstage bristo. It is owned by jazzmusician, a forum member and FJR nut. I'm sure it would be fun. Bob loves to talk bikes.

I don't know much about it but here is one option for tent camping. Close to town.

Fairway RV Resort

50 W George St.

Walla Walla, WA 99362

(509) 525-8282

(866) 855-8282

Have a great ride. See you in Moscow.

Brodie,

Tumac Mike is correct. Pomeroy is not much of a town and although there is, I think, one crummy little rv park where you could camp, I wouldn't recommend it. Walla Walla is about 1 hour closer to you than Pomeroy, and has a great place to camp. (Fairway RV resort), and I'm here. Trust me, anybody that ever shows up at the restaurant with a proper motorbike, (FJR) gets well taken care of.

All you need to know is the secret phrase, "I ride slowly."

Bob

Please update this with the route you end up taking...as I'm going to be riding up to C'ouer d' Alene (near Post Falls) around the 20'th of August, to fetch my wife and kids from the In-Laws. (Hauling the fjr back in the trailer behind the RV.)

I'm thinking about heading over to Reno and then heading north, and completely avoiding Oregon. Driving back from CDA last Christmas, was heading through Oregon, and boom. State speed limit is 55...I was at 74. Idaho, Washington and California all have 75 as the state speed limit...so being used to that, I got a nice $140 lesson and traffic school. :banghead:

Please update this with the route you end up taking...as I'm going to be riding up to C'ouer d' Alene (near Post Falls) around the 20'th of August, to fetch my wife and kids from the In-Laws. (Hauling the fjr back in the trailer behind the RV.)
I'm thinking about heading over to Reno and then heading north, and completely avoiding Oregon. Driving back from CDA last Christmas, was heading through Oregon, and boom. State speed limit is 55...I was at 74. Idaho, Washington and California all have 75 as the state speed limit...so being used to that, I got a nice $140 lesson and traffic school. :banghead:
It's not C'ouer d' Alene rather 'Coors d' Arlene' in tribute to a local gal working in Creston, just sayin! :rolleyes:

Brodie,
Tumac Mike is correct. Pomeroy is not much of a town and although there is, I think, one crummy little rv park where you could camp, I wouldn't recommend it. Walla Walla is about 1 hour closer to you than Pomeroy, and has a great place to camp. (Fairway RV resort), and I'm here. Trust me, anybody that ever shows up at the restaurant with a proper motorbike, (FJR) gets well taken care of.

All you need to know is the secret phrase, "I ride slowly."

Bob
Walla Walla also has a forum member who has posted here, I think he has the local Yam dealership?

Correct me if I'm wrong but state speed limit in Oregon is 65. The Oregon DOT decided "not" to raise the interstate speed to 70 :( . Oregon, other than interstates are 55 period. California other than interstates are 55-65. California state speed limit is 70 with some rural interstates are set at 75. Commercial trucks are still 55 in both states no matter what, major suckage especially if your a trucker.

Some really cool states like Nevada, Washington and Idaho are set at a more comfortable speeds for our FJR's :D . With my trip to WFO-6 on Hwy. 50 headed east not once was I tagged with lidar/radar and was at some points cruising at nominal triple digit speeds :eek: when the NHP was met coming the other way in their cool little SUV's. Thank you, and on rural roads just choose to look the other way, waaaaaaay cool. And old truckers never die, they just keep on truckin. :lol: PM. <><

Speed Limits

....TIC-TOC.......TIC-TOC......... IS IT TIME YET..... IS IT TIME YET??

It's gettin close now....... :hyper: :drinks: :fans: :D :D :lol: :lol:

B

Here is another option from a former FJR owner. I stayed here 2 years ago and nice with showers, etc. No store or some other amenities a KOA has, but at the time I got a 10% discount being an FJR rider. He certainly knows the local roads and was a good resource and friendly.:

Randy Williams

Hidden Pines RV Park

(541) 536-2265

[email protected]

PS. We are located about 30mi south of Bend

:yahoo:

This looks like my final route plan to Moscow...

Picture2.png

A
I plan to depart Monday morning early, never mind the 101 route.

B
I plan to wind my way up to Eureka where my good buddy FarWestFastEddy will put me up for the night. Tuesday morning Ed and I will head north a bit, have breakfast with family, then head inland.

C
We will stay somewhere around Bend Tuesday night - probably be moteling it (uh that's a cage without wheels). Hopefully Wednesday morning we can hook up with Roy and Cathrine Epperson and head east. Ed will split off from us around Mt Vernon and end up in Cambridge Idaho.

D
Roy, Cathrine, and I will head for Enterprise Oregon for the night.

E
Thursday morning I will make a beeline to Moscow. I want to get a good break before the SS100 on Friday.

Koa Kamping won't happen this week, but I have the return trip to do and there are a lot of camp sites (not necessarily KOA) in the costal range where I plan to return through. If anyone plans to camp on the return trip in the pacific northwest please let me know. I'd love to have a riding partner. I've got all week to find my way back to Milpitas.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions, I considered them all. :rolleyes:

Roy, Let me know if this sounds feasible.

:clapping:

Brodie