Can Am RT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfpasquin

Reaction score
Wife and I test rode a used Can Am yesterday. No counter-steering or leaning, just turn the bars. It's absolutely the "motorcycle" she wants as she's always been petrified about making turns and leaning. She was cruising down the road screaming with joy in a matter of minutes. Absolutely amazing how much technology goes into these things. The RT (touring) version for '14 will have a new 3 cylinder 1300cc engine (2 cylinder 998cc engine now) and 6 speeds instead of 5. Safety features are HUGE. ABS, traction control, stability control, power steering and other features that make then easy to ride and prevent tip over.

My wife wants one too ...

...but the PRICE!
uhoh.gif
no.gif

Some eye candy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest doing some research on the electrical issues with the Can Am's. I'll be the first to say that they look like really cool bikes but they are very expensive. Branson, MO police department was actually given a few to use as motor units and they have given them back due to electrical issues and other problems.

I would suggest doing some research on the electrical issues with the Can Am's. I'll be the first to say that they look like really cool bikes but they are very expensive. Branson, MO police department was actually given a few to use as motor units and they have given them back due to electrical issues and other problems.
Sometimes, it seems More than NOT, the more bells and whistles ... The more issues you'll have.

But I do like the adjustable passenger floorboards!
rolleyes.gif

Tyler rode the living crap out of her red one and upgraded it with a newer model. Don't know that she had very many problems.

I think they're cool. My wife used to ride her own bike, but didn't like leaning much either. I think she'd really enjoy a Spyder...If only we had the money or the room!!

I'd think they're pretty dependable. Can Am's been making these for decades-- at least the ones made for snow with a track instead of a rear wheel.

I'm not quite ready for the Can Am (one of the target audiences are men who have difficulty holding a bike up at stops) but it should be noted that a couple of years ago they applied for a patent on a design that would allow the front wheels to lean through corners. The latest models have a suspension upgrade that apparently makes the Can Am a lot more corner friendly but I think leaning wheels would be worth the cost.

Tyler rode the living crap out of her red one and upgraded it with a newer model. Don't know that she had very many problems.
Only had one issue with the steering sensor going out but it was replaced right away and I had no issues with it after that... it's been to Baja, Canada, and all over the US. B)

I'm not quite ready for the Can Am (one of the target audiences are men who have difficulty holding a bike up at stops) but it should be noted that a couple of years ago they applied for a patent on a design that would allow the front wheels to lean through corners. The latest models have a suspension upgrade that apparently makes the Can Am a lot more corner friendly but I think leaning wheels would be worth the cost.
The new ST suspension upgrade is a HUGE improvement over the RS, imo. I am very happy with the upgrade! As for the leaning model, yes, they filed a patent but it will be several years before it comes to market so I'll ride the shit out of this one until then. :D

I was up in the NY Adirondacks [Lake Placid], third week of Sept. must have seen 200 of these...prolly a rally...pretty cool ride.

My wife sat on one at the dealership, and fell in love! Blew me away, as I was certain she wouldn't like it. She doesn't ride, not even on the back of mine, but this got her blood flowing! She's thinking a 60th birthday gift, as our daughter will be halfway through college then. So, 2 years from now we'll be Can Am hunting.

Check out the color options and read about the 14's. Burgundy seats on silver machine are down right cool!

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/

Never ever seen my wife this excited (except when she met me). But heck, she’ll get good on it and we’ll have a blast…riding together with me eating the curves on my ’14 FJR. Well actually, that's only a dream for a while until I take a creative financing class. And who said money can’t buy happiness.

She had to give up riding a few years ago due to vertigo, and she doesn't even like to ride pillion on two wheels anymore.

However, she sat on a Spyder RT in a dealership in February of this year, bought it, and has put 11K on it.

The Spyder has been a godsend to her.

As for issues with the Spyder, the concensus over at spyderlovers.com is that it depends on how well the bike was set up at the dealership. Issues with poor set up can include faster-than-normal tire wear (OEM rubber is supposed to last 20K+, but poor setup can reduce that to well under 10K), and some electrical issues.

If you are considering getting a Spyder, go to spyderlovers.com and find a reputable dealer near you. Also, avoid the 2013. They have a small tendancy to burst into flame, and other lesser heat issues. (There is a recall that is supposed to solve the issues.)

One of the fires was at a demo ride event created by the manufacturer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75RPJOp36ts

My wife has a '12, but she's been drooling over the '14's. They have better cooling, a bigger engine, and other substantial improvements.

Also, avoid the 2013. They have a small tendancy to burst into flame, and other lesser heat issues. (There is a recall that is supposed to solve the issues.)
That's awesome that your wife has something that she loves to ride... as for the 2013, if you do get one, ask if the recall has been done. Mine has and I put about 7K miles on it in 3 months with no issues with heat or my ass catching on fire... :D

Also, avoid the 2013. They have a small tendancy to burst into flame, and other lesser heat issues. (There is a recall that is supposed to solve the issues.)
That's awesome that your wife has something that she loves to ride... as for the 2013, if you do get one, ask if the recall has been done. Mine has and I put about 7K miles on it in 3 months with no issues with heat or my ass catching on fire...
biggrin.png
Well, that's disappointing...the wifey doesn't get one then....

Well, that's disappointing...the wifey doesn't get one then....
If the 2013 has had the recall retrofit, they are safe. Also, to be fair, only two Spyders have burned, so it's not been that big a problem. It's just joked about a bunch on the Spyder specific forum.

Can Am is replacing the burned RT with a brand new 2014, so they are taking care of their customers in a big way.

The 2013 Spyders (RT and ST) have a 'NO RIDE' recall as a result of the one or two that caught fire. If a dealer checks one in for service/maintenance, he is not supposed to turn it loose until the fire recall has been completed. The head pipe for the rear cylinder is about 3 inches from the master cylinder, which has a plastic top. If you let it sit idling long enough, the top can melt resulting in brake fluid on the head pipe (which is probably a nice cherry red at this point) resulting in a fire. Since this little drama is occurring directly under the front of the gas tank, the chances for a marsh mellow roast are quite high.

The fix consists of a stainless steel heat shield and heat blanket for the master cylinder, a heat blanket for the emission canister in front of the head pipe, and a heat blanket around the parking brake cable. Looks like the fix will resolve the problem so no more flaming Spyders.

No I don't work for BRP, I've just has the pleasure of doing this recall 8-10 times at a dealership.

Since this little drama is occurring directly under the front of the gas tank, the chances for a marsh mellow roast are quite high.
I picked mine up on a Friday and left the next day for a 2-week, 4K-mile OR/WA trip with no issues. So not sure how high the chances are or if I just managed to dodge the fire bullet! :lol:

Since this little drama is occurring directly under the front of the gas tank, the chances for a marsh mellow roast are quite high.
I picked mine up on a Friday and left the next day for a 2-week, 4K-mile OR/WA trip with no issues. So not sure how high the chances are or if I just managed to dodge the fire bullet! :lol:
Screw that. You've paid your dues for two lifetimes. If Karma sends you the fire bullet, we're gonna track that bitch down and beat the crap outta her!