Can I get my OEM trunk keyed to fit my OEM saddlebags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can a dealer get my OEM touring trunk keyed to fit my OEM saddlebags for my 08 FJR? It's not a huge deal, but I really prefer to have just one key for everything. Now, I have one key for the ignition and saddlebags and one key for the OEM trunk.

Or would a local locksmith be the place to go?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Scott

Did you use your spare lock that came with the new bike for the OEM touring trunk? If so, it should already keyed the same. If they supplied a different lock, do you still have the original lock? It's probably in the same place as the bag hole covers. If used, did you make sure the spare lock came with the bike? These options are the easiest.

If no, then local locksmith is probably the quickest and easiest.

The bike as supplied would have had a third lock to use i your top-box, but presumably it's fallen by the wayside somewhere in your bike's history.

It is possible to re-key the lock barrel to fit your key, it involves taking it apart, rearranging the slidy bits (technical term) to fit as best as possible, finally with the key inserted, filing off any protruding slidy bits. This has been done by several forum members, hopefully one with actual experience will post up.

This thread had to do with helmet locks (great product by a Forumite btw) but you'll find info there to help you unlock (
smile.png
) some answers.

I'm not the original owner of the bike. The guy I got it from said he didn't have the extra lock any longer.

^^^^ In that case [pun intended] your best bet is pick up a third lock and visit a local locksmith.

Good luck!

--G

A work-around is to have a new key blank cut with the profile of the ignition key on one edge and cut the other edge with the trunk key profile. Mark one side of the key so it is easy to see. Put you key in the ignition/tank/side bags one direction, then rotate the key 180º and it will open the trunk.