Can't get iPod to work with Starcomm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopB8

Reaction score
I've have a Starcomm unit under the rear seat and have been using it for intercom only. I recently decided to get some tunes going and purchased one of those tiny 1GB iPod Shuffles. I planned on mounting it on top of the triple tree bolt so I ran a cable from that position to the unit.

Problem is is that I don't get any sound from the iPod no matter which of the 4 jacks on the Starcomm I plug it into. Today I went and bought another cable just to make sure I had the right one and that I didn't somehow get a bad one. The salesman assured me that I have the correct cable. Still no luck.

I've tested the iPod with the headset so I know I'm getting music out of it. I've also been sure to turn the volume way up just in case it was just too low to hear. No go.

So, what can I be doing wrong? I'm praying it's not a bad Starcomm unit because I don't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling it and exchanging it.

Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you get audio from anything? Any walkman type anything that you can get headphone jack audio from?

I've used my StarComm with a couple different iPods and it's dandy!

Two of my daughters have the 1gb shuffles, if you can get audio from a radio or something else to play let me know and I'll go test out a shuffle for you to make sure it's not a shuffle specific thing but it shouldn't be.

-MD

Can you get audio from anything? Any walkman type anything that you can get headphone jack audio from?
I've used my StarComm with a couple different iPods and it's dandy!

Two of my daughters have the 1gb shuffles, if you can get audio from a radio or something else to play let me know and I'll go test out a shuffle for you to make sure it's not a shuffle specific thing but it shouldn't be.

-MD
My shuffle works just fine. I plugged it into the audio jack. Check your volume controls and your vox. Talking mutes it for ten seconds and then it comes back on.

Dutch1201

+1 you VOX settings might be dorked up, though if you've used it as an intercom I'd doubt the volume part is, but it's worth checking.

The only other device I have is another Shuffle and I'm getting the same results with it.

I've messed with the VOX setting both up and down. Each time I've been patient waiting for the delay of up to 10 seconds Starcomm talks about. Still nothing.

It's starting to look like I'm going to spend 700 miles without tunes this weekend :-(

That's a bummer, CopB8. I just installed a Starcom and my Ipod (30GB video) works fine.

Besides trying another music source, like Renegade suggested, have you tried unplugging all other Starcom accessories (PTT button, remote volume, bluetooth adapter, etc), making sure the the audio plug for the Ipod is pushed in ALL the way :blink: (sorry, have to check the obvious stuff, too)? If you get sound, plug each accessory in, one at a time, and see which one of them is causing the problem.

Obviously, if you get audio from another source (CD player, walkman, etc), you know it's a Ipod Shuffle thing. If no sound from any source and there's nothing else plugged into the Starcom, AND your settings are close to the factory settings, I'm thinking defective Starcom unit.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Latest posts