Canyon Dancer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorSWATCop

Reaction score
Do the Canyon Dancer Tie Downs work well on the FJR? I know they were not reccomended for my Wing because the bars were aluminum.

The one time I had to trailer the FJR, they worked ok for me. Sort of. I didn't have any problems with the bars, and in fact, I didn't even tie down the rear. Probably not recommended, but mine stayed rock steady. The one problem however, is unless you find something to put over the grips that doesn't also interfere with their ability to keep the bike steady, they will do a real number on your grips.

You don't need a Canyon Dancer.

You can use a 3rd Tie-down and loop it over and around both clip ons at the base in opposite directions so the tie down won't slide. Then gently tighten each side equally.

I've trailerd Zed this way many a times.

Put a couple straps mid to rear to make sure it doesn't lean one way or another and you're good.

But it does beg to question. Why in the hell would you trailer it ? :D

Let me know where you want it (point A to B and I'll ride it there) :D

Just got back from a 2000 mi. trip trailering both bikes. Both with Canyon Dancer's! FJR has risers. The riser is billet and stronger than the triple clamp or handlebar, so not a problem. I solved the grip problem by sliding a piece of sched. 40 1 1/2" pvc over the bars before installing the CD's. 2 tie downs up front and 2 in the back ea. (didn't have the R1 done yet). I've never had a problem with CD's. Always inspect them well before each use. That goes for tiedown too! Any fraying or wear, replace! They don't last forever.

P6201372.jpg

a.jpg

Just got back from a 2000 mi. trip trailering both bikes. Both with Canyon Dancer's! FJR has risers. The riser is billet and stronger than the triple clamp or handlebar, so not a problem. I solved the grip problem by sliding a piece of sched. 40 1 1/2" pvc over the bars before installing the CD's. 2 tie downs up front and 2 in the back ea. (didn't have the R1 done yet). I've never had a problem with CD's. Always inspect them well before each use. That goes for tiedown too! Any fraying or wear, replace! They don't last forever.
P6201372.jpg

a.jpg

How wide is your tailer?

You don't need a Canyon Dancer.
You can use a 3rd Tie-down and loop it over and around both clip ons at the base in opposite directions so the tie down won't slide. Then gently tighten each side equally.

I've trailerd Zed this way many a times.

Put a couple straps mid to rear to make sure it doesn't lean one way or another and you're good.

But it does beg to question. Why in the hell would you trailer it ? :D

Let me know where you want it (point A to B and I'll ride it there) :D
Because, when i travel w/ my wife, we have princess rules. She will not ride all the way to South Dakota or Montana. On those trips, I have to get 2 or more bikes out there. I tried the saddle bags on my Wing and the darn other bike just wouldn't fit. It was close but there was no room left for the sacred make-up mirror. Me; I'll ride anywhere, anytime, in just about any conditions. I like a dirty bike.

My wife has an ST1300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess rules are a bummer.
Nice trailer, RTSR1/FJR. That's sweet.
Thanks! I drug that trailer all over the place for the the last few weeks!. Down roads I couldn't even ride a bike down. Pulled it up a path (they called it a driveway) with ruts and an incline of close to 15 degrees for close to a mile (thank god I had AWD). Bikes got shook up real good! lol Not one problem with the Canyon Dancers! I've used them since they came out without problem for many thousands of miles. If used properly, nothing to worry about!

I would not use the Canyon Dancer tie down. I have some if anyone wants them. Make me an offer. The Canyon Dancer puts a lot of stress on the bars and the grips - can cause the grips to twist on the bars, and the bike is not very secure. Way better to use tie downs and soft straps, or the tie downs with the soft straps, and run the soft straps off the lower tripple clamp. I have trailered the FJR many thousands of miles this way (as well and numerous other bikes) and never damaged the bike or had any problem. Let me know if you would like to see pictures of the tie down point.

Princess rules are a bummer.

Nice trailer, RTSR1/FJR. That's sweet.
Thanks! I drug that trailer all over the place for the the last few weeks!. Down roads I couldn't even ride a bike down. Pulled it up a path (they called it a driveway) with ruts and an incline of close to 15 degrees for close to a mile (thank god I had AWD). Bikes got shook up real good! lol Not one problem with the Canyon Dancers! I've used them since they came out without problem for many thousands of miles. If used properly, nothing to worry about!

MSC,

You sound like a traveling man! :)

"She will not ride all the way to South Dakota or Montana. On those trips,"

Do you have a particular area in MT that you like to frequent?

I'll be moving August 1st (700 miles away) and will be renting a 26' moving truck (I will be driving.. Uhaul, Penski, not sure yet).

Need specific information on the best way to tie down my FJR04, as well as what quality equipment to use to tie it down with and the best place to purchase it.

Pictures/info would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

I would not use the Canyon Dancer tie down. I have some if anyone wants them. Make me an offer. The Canyon Dancer puts a lot of stress on the bars and the grips - can cause the grips to twist on the bars, and the bike is not very secure. Way better to use tie downs and soft straps, or the tie downs with the soft straps, and run the soft straps off the lower tripple clamp. I have trailered the FJR many thousands of miles this way (as well and numerous other bikes) and never damaged the bike or had any problem. Let me know if you would like to see pictures of the tie down point.

[i have used CD before and hate what they do to my grips! I would like to see pics of how you use the soft straps.

MSC,
You sound like a traveling man! :)

"She will not ride all the way to South Dakota or Montana. On those trips,"

Do you have a particular area in MT that you like to frequent?
We usually HQ in Paradise Valley. Emigrant to be specific. It's about 30 miles from the north entrance to Yellowstone. Good access to the Beartooth.

I would like to see the pics. My plan is to use the Dancers as a front stabilization device, not primary front tie down.

I have used the Canyon dancer tie down system all the way across I-70 through the Colorado Rocky Mountains....it was a great sytem for me and I now keep my set in the hard case of my 2006 FJR in case of the need to get trucked or trailered. (It did happen after a flat tire issue).

+1 on the forget the CD's and get some soft ties and do it right.

I personally have never seen a CD failure. What I have seen is a handle bar failure on the bike (not an FJR) which used CD's.

As for the CD load being anything compared to the load placed on the bars when riding, I'm guessing the implication is that the rider tips the scales at about 650 lbs like the bike does. The weight placed on the bars by a rider in flight is far less than that placed on the bars when a trailer hits a bump and the whole front of the bike wants to lift off the ground (but is restrained by the CD straps).

Soft ties to the upper triple tree are a sure thing, less costly than CD's, are easy to use, and pose no such risk to the bars. I'm unsure why the effort at defending the CD's is taking such an emotional tone.

Bikes that I've seen successfully use the CD type straps have always been lighter bikes in the track-bike (or dirt bike) class. Do they work when the bike is in a lighter weight class? Sure! Do they work for heavier bikes (sometimes, sometimes not). When comparing zero risk to any risk at all, why bother?