Carb Tune vesus Carb Stix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I have owned two sets of Motion Pro carb stix and have the mercury spills to prove it. They always worked fine, but I hate messing with mercury and once sucked some into my carbs.

So I am looking at the Carb Tune device https://www.carbtune.com/ that uses metal rods instead of mercury, and I would like to hear from someone who has used it. How exactly does it work and do the metal rods have any kind of air gap between them and the tubes? My worry is that if the rods are not manufacture very precisely that you could have an air gap that would alter your readings. If you swap the lines from one throttle body to another are the readings consistent?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, none of your concerns are issues. Many on this site have used the Morgan Carb Tune for their FJR and it has been noted by comparisons to mercury that there is no difference in readings.

I too, used Carb Sticks forever! Then I bought the Morgan Carbtune. Same results, better devise! Stores in smaller areas and in any direction too. Can lay down in tool box even! Mercury served me well for many years, but I'll never use mercury again if I can help it.

+1 I used mercury for many years, but about a year ago cracked the plastic housing on my motionpro gauge-- it's truely amazing how small and tight a crack mercury can leak through! So as I was sweeping my garage floor to get it all up, I hunted for and got the carbtune, and have been quite pleased. Results are spot on compared to my old gauge, with 'no muss no fuss', and it slips into a small case that tucks neatly into my toolbox.

Or you can try this:

Clicky

Fluid is Mobil 1 Syn ATF (red), and the PVC baffles are large enough to hold 100% of the ATF fluid (so you can't suck anything into the intake on the bike.

Compared to a mercury carb stick, the resolution is at least 4X better

+1 on the Carbtune. I had the same concerns but I read all the reviews and mine seem to work fine. They have more 'stiction' than liquid mercury but the bike vibrates enough to keep 'em floaty.

+1 on the Carbtune -- really easy to use, set up and no worries about spilled mercury or how to store it. I bought the storage pouch/case, which makes it easy to store in my roll away and forget about til I need to use it again.

I highly recommend the Carbtune. It was my first adventure w/ the tbs on the FJR and everything came out great. I never had the mercury, used to have a shop do it. Not anymore.

+1 on the CARBTUNE

Got mine about 2 weeks ago, and it works great, comes in a neat little pouch that holds all the adapters, and hoses. The price with the case was like $120 delivered to my door, and it was here in less than 1 week.

Todd

What the hell? no posts saying how ya shouldn't get it (mercury) on your hands an rub your nuts er they'll fall off or, how ya might get poisoned if you suck it into yer face?

Who are you guys, an' what have ya done to this place?

:jester:

I love mine,and got it not out of concern for the mercury, but because of it's accuracy and ease of use. It's compact size makes it easy to mount right at the bars center, where it's easy to observe as you make your adjustments. No worries with mercury ingestion or spillage, rock solid stability in the readings, robust construction, and ease of storage also favor it over merc stix, which I've used for years.

You probably don't need another +1 but I have a Carbtune and I like it a lot.

Never used the mercury stix as the one I had bought I spilled mercury out of the fill hole and never even used it.

Carbtune +1