Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Teamset Review

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCWatts

Reaction score
Santa brought me both the Scala Rider Q2 Teamset and a Nuvi 760.

I've learned the hard way that Garmin's Nuvi series will not pair via Bluetooth with the Q2. I've found that documented so far only in a couple of forums and on two Web pages in which resellers, at the bottom, state the Nuvi series will not pair with the Q2 . . . I'm guessing they learned of this through returns of the Q2s.

My solution to this issue is to connect to the Nuvi via a wired connection - Cardo provides a wire that connects to the GPS unit or MP3 player and then to the back of the headset unit. I've decided to be satisfied with this solution, which will keep the Nuvi in my pocket, ending the ritual of disconnecting it from the bike every time I hop off somewhere.

I'm actually very satisfied with the FM reception of the Q2; others have complained about this but when I find a strong station, the sound is just fine, although in mono only.

The controls on the Q2 are a pain, literally and figuratively. The volume buttons require a firm push, okay the first few times but when you're using them to find different FM stations, your fingers get to hurting after a bit. Also, with only four buttons, you have to commit to memorizing all the ways to use them in order to get the full functionality out of the headset.

Rider to passenger intercom - so so. I've only seen a few complaints about this, but for us, we found ourselves regularly losing the connection, even in mid-sentence. A very loud word, or yodel, or horror-movie-quality scream would re-establish communications. Apparently, the system is designed primarily for angry people who are in some type of quarrel; I think they'd sustain a connection longer than my wife and I did. When we first noticed this happening, we were at first happy to learn how to quickly reconnect, then increasingly annoyed when this proved to be a consistently occuring issue. I understand you can instead choose manual connection by tapping on the control switch; we'll have to try that out.

Phone communication worked fine for me. The person on the other end couldn't even tell I was riding a motorcycle.

One problem for me is the volume setting for intercom communication and phone is not the same as for FM listening. If you turn up the volume enough to adequately engage in a telephone or intercom communication, then switch back to FM without lowering the volume back down, prepare for a very loud reminder.

Bottom line for me? I like the FM, like the ability to connect to the phone via Bluetooth, am grudgingly OK with the limitation on connecting the Garmin Nuvi GPS, and am less pleased with the intercom functionality.

I've learned the hard way that Garmin's Nuvi series will not pair via Bluetooth with the Q2
Use the FM transmitter in the Nuvi and set it to a FM station which you have matched and saved on the Q2. Remember that the Q2 FM receiver will turn on to the last station that was played, plan accordingly. In my area I use 89.7 as an open station frequency. The transmitter on my 2730 works very well with our Q2s. When I have my GPS powered up in my house I can walk through my entire house without loosing the signal to my Q2. The sound of the GPS MP3 player received into the Q2 is vastly better than the Q2's radio sound, it is possible to forget that the Q2 is mono. I've been guilty of running the GPS MP3 player and walking around the house with my helmet on listening to music on the Q2 (shhh, don't tell anyone, this us just between you and me :lol: ).

I'm actually very satisfied with the FM reception of the Q2
I find the Q2's FM sound to be functional but minimally adequate. I never expected to use the Q2 for FM anyway, so having it at all is a fringe benefit.

The controls on the Q2 are a pain
As you have noted. The Q2 actually has too few buttons for all the functions :wacko:

Rider to passenger intercom - so so...we found ourselves regularly losing the connection, even in mid-sentence. A very loud word, or yodel, or horror-movie-quality scream would re-establish communications...I think they'd sustain a connection longer than my wife and I did....I understand you can instead choose manual connection by tapping on the control switch; we'll have to try that out.
I suspect that your microphones need to have their positions adjusted. We have found that voice sound level and the associated sustentation of connection is directly related to good mic position. We often have to make minor adjustments to the mic position after having our helmets off/on. Choose words with good solid hard consonants to open a VOX session, I'm fond of BARK :) The full time intercom mode works great! We were able to ride from southern Pennsylvania to Central NH in one long day with the intercom on 100% of the time and never ran out of battery. Um, if you have Tourette's Syndrome you may want to reconsider the full time intercom mode... :lol: Over the years I've grown accustom to the occasional private outburst at traffic or some other thing that irritated me, I've had to learn not to do that anymore. My wife says that I scare her sometimes :glare: :lol:

Bottom line for me? I like the FM, like the ability to connect to the phone via Bluetooth, am grudgingly OK with the limitation on connecting the Garmin Nuvi GPS, and am less pleased with the intercom functionality.
My mileage varies from yours. I'm luke warm about the FM, the Bluetooth/phone works great, try to FM connect the GPS to the Q2 -- works real good for me, move your mics around and see if your intercom gets better. We have no problem with VOX sessions dropping out and the VOX sessions stay active for 30 seconds after the last word is spoken. In places where it is legal to drive 85 mph, ;) with the helmet visor cracked open a bit there is an occasional wind induced VOX connection. On our 3k mile odyssey to EOM and back this fall the Q2s paid for themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a thought,

My Nuvi 780 has an FM function that allows me to play MP3's and listen to GPS voice directions through the car stereo and speakers. Is it possible (assuming the 760 has the FM function) to sync the FM channel of the Q2 to the Nuvi and be able to have full function?

Looks like Ionbeam beat me to this thought...

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 to ionbeam on all points, especially the comments on the rider to passenger intercom. Try adjusting the mic as ion pointed out and I think you'll find it works very well. Also, if the wife is talking about something I don't want to hear I can cut her off by tapping the rear button and it takes me back to my music. :yahoo:

I have the iphone connected to the Q2 and the phone connection sounds better in the headset than it does on the phone itself! Just bought the Nuvi 760 and looking forward to getting that into the loop.

+1 to ionbeam on all points, especially the comments on the rider to passenger intercom. Try adjusting the mic as ion pointed out and I think you'll find it works very well. Also, if the wife is talking about something I don't want to hear I can cut her off by tapping the rear button and it takes me back to my music. :yahoo:
I have the iphone connected to the Q2 and the phone connection sounds better in the headset than it does on the phone itself! Just bought the Nuvi 760 and looking forward to getting that into the loop.
I have the multi set , it seems to work good for me considering the price, speaker positioning and mic is important. I mainly bought it for talking to the wife and to use the phone, everything else it does is just a bonus but the more you use it the more you will like it. It is a learning curve associated with it.