Cats & covers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbart

Reaction score
Hi,to those of you that store your bikes outside w/ a bike cover,what methods do you employ to keep cats from seeking shelter under the cover?

mastiffstand.jpg

Though there may occasionally be some unwanted byproducts on the wheels.

Large open can of mothballs...keeps out other critters too...

KM

(where do they get all those moths to cut their balls off?)

mastiffstand.jpg

Though there may occasionally be some unwanted byproducts on the wheels.
So sorry, Alan, but I've got a tomcat that could take that puppy with a paw tied behind his back. :p

KM

Owosso, Michigan.

There used to be a product called 'Outdoor No', think it was made by Hartz. Doesn't take all that long to break their habit and they'll go somewhere else.

Oh, wait a minute....you got a Gen-II, this will be more difficult than I thought!! :lol:

After I got my Russell seat, the 2 Boyz just won't stay off of it. They go "Full Satan" on me when I tell them to get off!

IMG_20110308_184338.jpg

We had this conversation a couple of days ago, shoot the cat. If you like it that much then take it and have it's balls cut off, you know Neutered. If that does not work then you piss on the bike after you ate about 2 dozen asparagus. Or just buy one of those drive on totally enclosed things for it. I still think a 22 is all you need to rid yourself of the issue.

KM

Owosso, Michigan.
Yer a real fugi ya know it? The moths balls here fall off as soon as they see the CT on me scoot..

How do you get those tiny legs apart to chew em off down there dinknose?

Pretty simple really. Grab the cat, place your left hand on its shoulders with your index and thumb wrapping around its shoulder blades, then take your right hand and do the same thing behind its ears, then try to seperate your hands as fast as you can. Less messy than a 22.

disclaimer: I do not condone cruelty to animals, only pests, you decide. YMMV

This is funny! I was wondering if I was the only one with this problem! We have 4 cats that live here, they spend the nights in the garage with the FJR, car, ATV, another bike, etc.. I used to cover the FJR tightly with a Dowco cover, and I even punched more holes along the bottom to tie more "strings" to really tightly seal it up!! The tighter I sealed it, the more the cats would consider it a challenge!! They would somehow wriggle their way in under the cover and sleep on the seat. The tighter I got the cover the more they would try to defeat my efforts and those cats were successful every single time!! I abandoned the cover idea, and just use old sheets loosely draped over most of the bike. On exposed portions of the fairing and the front of the tank I put masking tape, in loops, so they'll get stuck to the tape if they crawl around there. This actually works, and it's easy to rip off the tape before riding!! I don't care if they sleep on the covered up seat, but I don't want them climbing anywhere else, the tape stops that. I'd send a pic of my bike with sheets and tape, but it really does look ridiculous, so I'd better not.

Anyway, you asked!! I'm jes sayin' what worked for me. Your cats may require other techniques already suggested!

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha I still like ionbeams suggestion, "the big dog" but hey if it doesn't work the tape method will. Just get a roll of packing tape, and place it, sticky side up, where ever you don't want the cats to go. Cats absolutely sticky things on themselves or their feet. Try it some day when the wife is going for groceries, "NOTE" just make sure she has her purse with her, cause when she arrive back to get it and sees you taping a cat up you will either end up on an episode of Jerry Springer, or you may then "be alone" with your "pussy" for a long time.

motion senor/battery/air horn. After a couple attempts to violate the sensored area, my guess is the cat will stay clear of the FJR for awhile. I would have to have a camera as well. Without video footage of the cats response, the effort just doesn't seem worth it.

Off topic, I would so love to own this cat for entertainment purposes.

How many of you guys with cats under the cover have a problem with mouse nests in the air box? :p

Last edited by a moderator: