CB radio questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisflock

FJR nose gunner
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a long ride with some Goldwingers, and it sure would be nice to be able to chat with them. They've all got CB radios, so I'm looking into getting one.

The big deal here is, I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive. I'm aware that there are several hand-held style units out there, but I'm a little unsure about how well they actually work on the bike. I suppose if I mount the CB in a reasonably accessible location, I could stand having to push a button on it to talk, although something with a remote button I can mount on the left handlebar would be much nicer...

So, anyone got any info to help me out? I did search the forum, most of the info I found was in regards to connecting J&M units to other accessories, like GPSs or something...

I do have a J&M headset laying around, but I don't think I can swing the $300 bucks or so to buy their CB unit...I did take a look at the Integratr from J&M, but it appears you have to buy the 120 integratr itself, and then a 100 portable CB radio unit as well, is that right? Or does anyone know if that midland unit can be used with just a headset?

Thanks in advance!

PS, thanks to the wonderful info I found here about cruise control, I went ahead and ordered an Audiovox unit for this upcoming trip!

If it is a one time thing and you just want to own a cool, little cb then I would buy a Midland xx-822 (don't remember the prefix) and get a cheap headset that you can jury-rig in your helmet. You might spend 120.00. You can always try to find one used.

If it is a one time thing and you just want to own a cool, little cb then I would buy a Midland xx-822 (don't remember the prefix) and get a cheap headset that you can jury-rig in your helmet. You might spend 120.00. You can always try to find one used.

that appears to be the same model as J&M is using in one of their kits. Does anyone out there have one and can give any more information about it? It appears to have jacks available for use with a headset and a push-to-talk button, is this something that needs a proprietary cable?

I'm not real concerned with the range on it, as I'll only be using to ride in a group.

The radio is the Midland 75-822. https://www.sierra-mc.com has them for $99.00. If you search you can probably find it for $10 cheaper, but Sierra is dependable and reputable, where others may or may not be. They also have and RHD-10 interface which will plug into your J&M headset. You may have to call Sierra to get info on the RHD-10, because, while they talk about it on their site, I can't find it listed. I think it was in the $60-70 range. (J&M has a similar interface that includes a mounting bracket and canvas-type case for the radio, but sells for ~$160.00.

The 75-822 is a good little radio. Several people that I've ridden with over the years have used this combination on bikes that didn't have factory radios available. I will be using one for awhile, but I plan to go to the Autocom eventually. (I'll still use the Midland radio, but I won't use the interface.)

They've all got CB radios, so I'm looking into getting one.
If you go https://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/messages and search for CB radios, you will find a lot of discussion regarding CD radios and bikes. The antenna is really the main controlling factor on how strong the transmission and reception will be. I don't know how J&B sets up the antenna and ground plate system on bikes as it was always more money than I wanted to spend since I'd need 2 for bike to bike with my wife.

I suspect that a portable/handheld would be "good enough" for "casual" use. You will need make sure that the antenna is mounted vertical to the ground and away from metal and your body if possible. If the antenna is not vertical, the reception and transmission will be less than good. The worst will be if the antenna is parallel to the ground.

I'm in the process of purchasing a FJR so can't comment on bike and wind noise relative to the VOX circuitry. On my RoadStar and my wife's VStar with "typical" FRS/GMRS/CB radios, we could not get the VOX systems to work above 30-35 mph. And when with an Autocom system. With the typical handheld, plan on using a PTT (push to talk) button.

Roy

that appears to be the same model as J&M is using in one of their kits. Does anyone out there have one and can give any more information about it? It appears to have jacks available for use with a headset and a push-to-talk button, is this something that needs a proprietary cable?

I'm not real concerned with the range on it, as I'll only be using to ride in a group.
Yes I actually have one. I have never used it on the bike, but plan to. It has mike and headphone jacks which have ptt ability. Good little radio and if you do go with a starcom1 or autocomm system then you will already have the bike to bike part licked. Little whip antenna is dicent for what it is, but I use a k40 with the truck. Got mine from amazon.com with a free shipping deal-99.00 delivered. You can find a better deal but not by much. +1 on the headset adapter if you already have a j&m. Recommend the cb.

Thanks for the great info. I'm glad to see that there is a unit out there that works decently that is inexpensive enough that I can pick one up for my FJR, and get one for my wife's bike when she's ready to go on longer trips...

Thanks for the great info. I'm glad to see that there is a unit out there that works decently that is inexpensive enough that I can pick one up for my FJR, and get one for my wife's bike when she's ready to go on longer trips...
I bought that kit from JM that allows you to use a hand held CB from Midland. I bought the Midland from Wally World for like 49 bucks. It works pretty good.

I bought that kit from JM that allows you to use a hand held CB from Midland. I bought the Midland from Wally World for like 49 bucks. It works pretty good.
You got that model from Walmart? I'll have to check and see if I can get it. If I could just pick up the CB there, and order that PTT and headset linkup from JM, that'd be pretty sweet. That's the sort of price range I can handle :rolleyes:

My cruise control is on back order! Argh! :angry2: But it is supposed to be back in stock in plenty of time to get installed for this ride in May...

Latest posts