CB Radio

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
I saw an unusual trap on I74 just before Davenport this fall. A few cops on the overpass shooting laser at threel lanes of traffic and a dozen chase vehicles just after the overpass. Coming up over a rise you had no chance. Lucky I was listening to the CB so I knew it was coming up. 
From topic posted at Clicky
I've used CB in my travelling trucks, found it very useful. Have others included CB into the FJR ride?

If so, what are you using?

Are you using it with one of those audio mixer thingies that multiple input and one output with volume leveling control?

How useful have you found it to be?

dcarver:

I have one to install on my new '06 when it arrives. Got a Cobra HH38WXST "Roadie" (has an external antenna) an I will run it through my Autocom with the appropriate interface cord. Autocom suggested this make and model to me if I just had to use a CB (they don't suggest using them) because they are old technology. However, I still ride with my old geezer Goldwing buddies and they all use CB's so it comes in very handy on group rides. I also have Motorola FRS/GMRS radios and use them when I ride with my more enlightened FJR types. ;)

Autocom told me to use the batteries to power the radio and not to use the 12V option through the bikes electrical system since...I think I remember correctly... that the CB and the FJR electronics are both FM frequency and I will encounter noise in the CB through the bikes electrical system if powered by the 12V method. However, I plan to wire in an additional 12V plug directly to the battery and try and power the CB through the 12V system anyway. :beee: If that doesn't work, then I'll use the battery power method to operate the CB. :p

So, I mainly use the CB for group riding with my Goldwing friends. We usually use channel 3 and therefore do not get any "trucker" type information while on this channel. But, when I ride alone, or with those that don't have bike to bike communications, I use channel 19...especially if I'm going to be moving at a good clip. :D

I would be interested if others have already used a portable handheld CB on their FJR, and if so, how did it do.

Now, thanks, and back to WAITING.........

Fjrtn

I've used cb on bikes and trucks the last 30 years and think you need a good unit on a bike with all the background and electrical noise. Handhelds sound like crap. I use the J&M right now and have had no problems with it. I have a four foot (yes it sticks up over my head) firestick no ground plane antenna attached to the back rack.

The only bad part about it is I can hear my buddies behind me chuckle that the antenna looks like it's growing out of my helmet like that martian on Bugs Bunny. You remember Marvin the Martian? <_<

I have a Cherokee hand held CB. I fabricated a bracket that attaches to the left handlebar. I bought a push to talk button from Sierra Electronics that is activated with the left thumb. The Cherokee can be expanded to 120 channels (side band) with one little solder joint. The channel display toggles between the conventional channel designation and a frequency counter. If you have someone with a simular setup you will be assured of finding a clean channel on which to communicate. Plus on sideband you can transmit and recieve over long distances.

The whole setup cost about $150. Works for me!

Bananas!