Cee bailey Windscreen cutout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Reaction score
I got my new ceebailey +4+2 flip windscreen yesterday. Quality and workmanship is fine..except: The four machined cuts into the shield that the four hooks of the "w" trim plate hook into were cut way to deep and not tapered. All that is remaining is approximately 50 thousandths, about the thickness of a penny. So what happens when you attach the outer trim plate and tighten down the two screws from the bottom, the trim plate can be moved in and out from the windscreen, especially at the top by approximately 1/4". Obviously not good.

I inspected my original factory shield and not only is the cut not nearly as deep into the plastic, but it is tapered so that the maximum cut into the plastic is maybe 60-80 thousands and that tapers back to no cut at all on the side furthest from the cutout. And the hooks on the trim plate have a tapered opening to go over the plastic of around 110-130 thousanths. Then when the two screws that tighten from the bottom pull the trim plate down, it snuggly tightens the trim plate against the windscreen so the fit is tight. and won't vibrate, etc in the wind.

Called cee bailey late in the day friday and talked to someone and since it was close to closing apparantly, he agreed to call back monday morning to discuss further. I have to say, I did not get very good vibes in our short conversation. Sounded like long on excuses, short on fixes. The rep made it sound like this is how all fjr shields are cut. I don't believe it.

As a group, motorcyclists are pretty finicky and do not tolerate poor fit and finish. I would like some feedback if possible from those of you with ceebailey shields how your's was cut where the hooks of the trim plate slide over. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just checked my Cee Bailey's +4/+2 flip in the garage.

Same thickness as you noted - about the thickness of a penny. I purchased mine last summer (June) and rode 3000 miles with no drama. My "W" was firmly in place the entire time.

IIRC, though, when I installed the CB and installed the plastic W again, it seemed to line up differently than on the factory screen. Just felt different upon install, but installed just fine.

...and you'll hate to hear this, but I replaced my CB with a V-Stream last month and found it a very nice improvement. I am 6', 30 inseam (so tall torso) and wear a new HJC helmet. The CB offers better overall coverage form the wind when up (it's taller than the V-Stream, after all), but I prefer the ride behind the V-Stream. Wind management being entirely subjective and individual, this should not in any way dampen your enjoyment of your CB. ;)

Oh, and all three of my calls to CB left me feeling luke warm. They were fine to deal with, though, and I chalked it up to personalities. ;) They always answered my questions and took care of my needs (tracking the order, changing the ordered size after placing the order, changing the shipping address, checking on cleaners to use on the screen)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sportsguy I just recently asked Big D this same question about his Rifle which he seems to love but my question is have you any experience on how these screens work with a passenger, CB & V-Stream. When ridding 2up my wife seems to be bothered more than I am by the noise and buffeting. I guess I,m just too happy riding to notice. :p

Sportsguy I just recently asked Big D this same question about his Rifle which he seems to love but my question is have you any experience on how these screens work with a passenger, CB & V-Stream. When ridding 2up my wife seems to be bothered more than I am by the noise and buffeting. I guess I,m just too happy riding to notice. :p
Yep - added that feedback in this thread...

Short version, my wife likes the V-Stream in both up and down positions better than the CB when she's behind me. ;) ...though I'll admit, the version at that clicky isn't much longer than this one... :D