Cee Bailey Windshield Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportourer

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I know I will be hearing that I should be searching the archives and I have. I have not found a lot of information and I am hoping some current information will help. I have watched all winter for a used windshield like what I want to pop up and it has never happened. So, I am about to buy a new one. I want to get the reverse contour in dark grey tint. I am 5'8" and according to their size chart the 19" sport would be the right one for me. I called cee baileys and I don't think the person I spoke to had ever ridden a motorcycle! His only advice was to go bigger to be sure it was tall enough. I am not trying to turn this bike in a Goldwing but I would like it to be quiet. I do not like looking through windshields and only like looking over them so that is why I like tinted windshields. So, does anyone have any experience with this exact windshield or the 21"?

Alex Schmitt
Bethel, NY
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280

I purchased a Cee Bailey reverse flip used from a forum member a while back.

I am 5" 9" and I have a custom seat from Rick Mayer this seat is lower than stock.

My windshield measures 19" from the center of the W to the top. This is perfect for me. If I raise it up all they way I will be looking through the windshield. That is something I do not do unless I am in the rain. The 19" tall is perfect for me, it gives me a full range of high/low adjustment.

IMHO I think the 21" would be too tall. If you go to thier web site they have a hight adjustment chart, that should help you.

If I were you I would call them again and see if you can speak to a rep that can give you better information than the one you spoke to previously.

Hope this helps.

I had installed a +4 wide, +2 high standard contour and Pop loved it. But... He wanted a bit more wind protection so I tried the +4 wide +4 high reverse contour. It is too much windshield. I will have to order the +4 wide, +2 high reverse contour and put the bigger one up for sale. Great windshields though.

all relative to your height and body position when riding. Find someone with an FJR with that shield on it that lives close to you & do a test ride.

I am 6'4" & can't stand to look through a shield so I just let er rip and go deaf, wtf. Redfish has a good point, buy it and if you do not like it

sell it to some other forum member who wants it. That is one of the nice things about this forum, lots of great info and you can always find

a buyer for an item that just does not work for you but will work fine for someone else.

Interesting as it seems Cee Bailey has changed their size selection since I bought mine in 2008. They state that 19" is the stock height and I ordered mine 2" higher and 3" wider so I guess mine is 21". It's the reverse contour and I'm 6'. Even fully raised I am not looking through it but I get a full pocket of quiet air around me so that the wind noise is greatly reduced. Any lower than fully raised and I get some wind in my face (which I prefer at lower speeds) but no buffeting even fully lowered.

I also have a Russell seat so I may be raised a little. If I had to do it again I would have gotten it 3" higher than stock but they don't offer that height anymore. I think 4" would be too much. So all that said, I think you're ok with the 19" shield.

Thanks for all he input so far. I think I will go with the 19". I just took the helibar top triple clamp off and put it back to stock so I will be leaning forward a little bit which should help as well.

Alex Schmitt
Bethel, NY
IBA#364
STOC#4028
AMA#372280

I'm a big fan of CB shields, excellent quality and love the protection they provide for ME. A little background...

FWIW, I use a +4/+3 reverse contour light gray for my winter shield. For the PNWet it works most excellent. Summer is a +2/+2 reverse contour that still provides great protection but all the way down gives a clean buffet free air stream. I've used it in hot temps (100+) and find it gives more than enough air to stay cool.

I bought a used dark gray +2/+2 (21"), hated it. For me, the inability to see through the shield didn't work.

YMMV

--G

Hope this helps: I'm 5'10" and have the +2 rev. flip clear CB.

With the wide range of adjustment the FJR offers, all the way down gets me a lot of air to the helmet (but buffeting as well), all the way up and I'm looking through it but my helmet is in still air, about 1/2 way so the top edge of the shield in nose height is a sweet spot; I am looking over it with only some air hitting the top of my helmet while being pretty still and quiet.

I'm thinking the 19" or 21" would work and still offer enough adjustment range to "do it all".

I've had a CB rev. flip shortie on an 07 09 and 013. What blows me away is that no one ever mentions what it has done for handling. When I have put any of these windshields in a up position - handling has taken a shit. Out here where the deer and the antelope roam, we are in the windy season and I wouldn't think of putting a windshield up. Try putting a wind shield up and watch your current mpg tank. My measure for success is how tolerable is the down position. The CB on my 013 is one noisy s.o.b. in the down position but it cuts the air real nice - works good in the wind.

Keep in mind overall height needs to be adjusted for the difference in upper and lower body height. Guys with short legs and long upper bodies might have the wind exposure of a much taller person, and vice versa.

Good luck with the shield. I know some owners that are happy with the Cee Bailey flip. I went with a Laminar Lip on a Cee Bailey and that worked out.

Had a +2 dark tinted on my 08, and really liked the added protection. That would have made it 21"

2011-11-30_13-56-59_409_zpsce35f657.jpg

I have the 19" dark tint on the 14 and love it! It has a barely perceptible reverse flip unlike the one on the 08, but the protection seems to be the same. Probably comparing apples to oranges since the 14 has different air management around and through the fairing, but if I was to do it again with the 08, I would have gone with the sport shield. I think the sport looks better that the +2 as well.

DSC00687_zpsbdf8b81f.jpg

DSC00691_zpsf1c0d4d0.jpg

I am 5' 10" with a 30" inseam

The stock shield was okay fully down, but had horrible buffeting when raised in an attempt to get out of the wind. I'm 5'11" with 32" inseam. I also have spacers installed in the windshield bracket that tip any shield back a little. The spacer option was lost with 08 and later FJR's due to a bracket redesign.

So I bought a Cee Bailey +2 high, stock width, flip shield. This shield works great for me and is my summer shield. All the way down, I get good cooling airflow in the summer. When raised, it gets me in that cone of silence around my helmet. Following some vehicles on the freeway still results in some buffeting and that's probably due to the narrow width on the shield.

For winter I bought a Vstream, which is approximately a +4 high and +6 wide at the top. This shield also gives me the cone of silence when raised and also provides good wind protection for the helmet, torso and arms. I ride in temps down into the teens, so having wind protection is very important to me. It's interesting that even thought this shield is about 2 inches taller than the small CB shield, it has the air going the same height above the helmet. The flip on the CB shield appears to effectively add 2 inches of height without taking away those 2 inches of unobstructed vision away.

I recently picked up a used +4+4 flip CB shield. It would work good as a winter shield, but doesn't provide as much arm protection as the Vstream shield and provides less airflow than the Vstream when lowered all the way (which I found out yesterday when we had a fluke 75 degree afternoon for the commute home).