Cee Bailey Winshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry5k

Reaction score
In my never-ending quest for the perfect windshield I am now tying a Cee Bailey that is 4" higher than stock. Before that I was using the tall Yamaha stock windshield and before that, the stock windshield. It may be my imagination, but I think I am feeling more wind on my chest area and a little more all-around buffeting than with both the stock and the stock tall windshield. I did put spacers on and I wonder if taking them off would make a difference. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this same experience before I try yet another windshield. I'm 5'10" and the windshield comes to the bridge of my nose at the highest position.

After reading the posts on this forum, one thing is for certain, many go through a lot of money and a long trial and error period before finding the right windshield!! I guess I'm no exception. Where is this elusive bubble of tranquility that I hear rumors about? <_<

Good luck, Barry.

You might want to see if there are other Gen II owners in the area that have aftermarket windshields. Maybe you guys can arrange a group meet and swap windshields to see which works best for you.

I found that the "flip" windshields created more buffet than the normal style but that may have more to do with my size as others like them a lot.

Good luck is right. Finding the right shield can get expensive.

I had a +4 Cee Bailey w/flip on my GEN I and used 3/8" nuts under the bracket for spacers. Tilted the shield just enough so I had clear air when down and a pretty quiet pocket when up. Reduced the back pressure as well. BTW, I'm 5'-9" with 31" inseam for comparison.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a few (Rifle, CB/flip, V-Stream) and I really like my current screen, a CB Monster Flow 20" Euro Cut with Skyway spacers. A rider with narrower shoulders might be fine with the regular style.

Where is this elusive bubble of tranquility that I hear rumors about?
If I duck down behind it, or raise it full-up, it's pretty tranquil....

In my never-ending quest for the perfect windshield I am now tying a Cee Bailey that is 4" higher than stock. <_<
I tried a CB +4+2 with flip and I had a hell of a time with buffeting, so bad that I would have a headache after 30 minutes on the slab. I went to a Vstream and it's better but the buffeting is still there when around other vehicles on the interstate. I just duck down behind the shield when it gets too bad. I'm 6'2 with a 32" inseam, BTW. I'm in between the low and high setting on the seat, can run either one. The high setting gives my knees a break but the buffeting is worse. If you find something that works, let us know.

In my never-ending quest for the perfect windshield I am now tying a Cee Bailey that is 4" higher than stock. <_<
I tried a CB +4+2 with flip and I had a hell of a time with buffeting, so bad that I would have a headache after 30 minutes on the slab. I went to a Vstream and it's better but the buffeting is still there when around other vehicles on the interstate. I just duck down behind the shield when it gets too bad. I'm 6'2 with a 32" inseam, BTW. I'm in between the low and high setting on the seat, can run either one. The high setting gives my knees a break but the buffeting is worse. If you find something that works, let us know.
I don't get it, of course there'll be buffeting when you're in another vehicle's air stream, especially a big SUV, etc. Wouldn't this be the case with any windshield? I use a CB +2+2 w/flip & Skyway spacers, I am 5'10" w/31.5" inseam. When I get buffeting from other vehicles I either blow by them or if cops around or something pull back a few car lengths. Also adjusting the shield height/position up or down generally lets you "filter out" most buffeting. I very much like the CB shield.

I'm glad you're happy with your CB windshield. No one is talking about the buffeting that occurs when you are in "another vehicle's airstream." I don't think anyone here is that naive. The quest for the perfect windshield continues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Cee Bailey +2h+4w with the flip and I usually ride with it in the down position, unless it's raining. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and I don't regret my purchase. I may modify the brackets to move the top of the windshield further to the rear. The best protection (wind, rain, etc.) I ever experienced on a motorcycle was with an Aeroflow on a BMW K1100RS and that windshield had the reverse flip.

OBD

IMHO...We ride motorcycles (Wing Ding's excluded), you will always have buffeting of some kind. But truley I say more power to you in your pursuit of the perfect wind screen...it's your dime and your ride, who can argue with that.

After all these years of making motorcycles with windshields, why is it so hard for the manufacturers to get it right?

Best "overall" windshield so far for buffeting [i.e. none] was the 2000 VFR, but it required a lot of thought put into riding gear to handle the wet/cold conditions.