cee bailey with flip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastafasool

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the effects of the Cee Bailey's windshield with Flip

on handling ? I have a +2 / +4 standard contour and it's better than stock

for sure, but have read many positive commnets on the "flip". I just don't

want to find out there's a surprise at high speed. Thanks.

Depends on your definition of high speed.

I define high speed as 100+ mph for sustained periods of ten minutes or more. Above 100 mph, any shield that is 4 inches wider and 2-4 inches taller than stock is going to have an increased effect on the bike.

Speaking strictly of closed-course conditions :winksmiley: ...

I've run the +4w, +2h and +4h, both with and without flip, at sustained speeds of 135 mph. I would not recommend that practice in a strong cross wind of greater than 25 knots. But head-on the shields performed well with no unexpected adverse effects. Nothing squirrely, nothing weird, but not something I recommend as a repeated behavior. Oh yeah, don't forget to take off your top box too. :)

If you are consistently running triples then stick to something shorter and with less drag. Otherwise you are giving up too much aerodynamically to the squid you just blew away. Ahemmm, sorry about that!

It's been my experience that the flip performs very well at highway speeds up to 70 mph as posted maximum on many American slabs. The flip serves to expand the quiet envelope without the need for another 2-3 inches of shield height. Effects from cross winds of 20-60 degrees off-trajectory path have minimal effect and no more than on any other shield of similar height and width, IMO.

Just my $.02

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Jeff hit it on the nose, the flip adds a cushion and works well at "reasonable" speeds. :rolleyes:

Just to add some personal experience:

The flip allows you to run the shield LOWER than you would a standard contour and get the same protection. That means I don't run my shield full-up very often.

Second, if you get big ENOUGH, there is an adverse (or at least noticable) change in handling. I had a V-Stream and those things work GREAT! That is because it is a BARN DOOR of a windshield. I noticed it felt a little different going into corners at speed (45+). Not scary or unstable, just different. Like it took a little more input to make it do what I wanted. That was just my experience... others may disagree. :glare:

I am a firm believer in the flip, even if it does add some degree more drag and will probably keep me from reaching the theorectical top speed of the FJR... like I am going to chase that anyway. (Actually, when I decide to chase that goal, I'll put my stock shield back on or even cut it down and run that way) :ph34r:

Haven't noticed any adverse effects of the flip feature, even at sustained xxx speeds in an undislosed southern MS county. :D

I believe I'm selling my CB Flip +4h +3w.

Pastafool, PM me if you're interested, otherwise I'll post it f/s next week. Pics Here.

After 2 weeks with it, it's actually not tall enough for me on the freeway (I ride with the seat in the upper position).

Last edited by a moderator:
The flip works as Ashe sed....

I can lower it to see well over the top and still sit in the "Bubble". I dont like looking "through" the shield as I might otherwise have to do without a flip.

I am 6.1 and run +2H +0W and it is plenty even at half up

I run a +4 +2 w/ flip and have not noticed any overtly detrimental effects on handling, although strong crosswinds or the roostertail coming off a semi will move you around a bit more, especially with the shield all the way up. I don't know if this information's of any use to you in your decision to buy a shield, but I'm 6' tall and with the seat in the low position I can put the shield about 3/4 of the way up to get out of the airstream entirely, but have to extend it 100% so I'm not left looking half over and half through the top edge of the shield. I usually ride with the shield fully lowered, which leaves my head in clean air.

Latest posts