Celebrating Arrival of AVGeek's Super Tenere to AZ!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
Attention Arizona FJR Forum Dusty Dirty Dual Sporter Types: Let's ride up to Crown King on Sunday, September 25. We'll depart from Chevron Fuel and Food Station at Carefree Hwy and I-17.

We Zonies are celebrating the arrival of AVGeek's new Yamaha Super Tenere 1200; First Dirt!

Convenience store is at the Northeast Corner of Interstate 17 & State Route 74 Carefree Hwy.

Kickstands will be up at 0730 and we will proceed to the Crown King Saloon for our Brunch.

https://www.crownkingsaloon.com Breakfast menu is listed here and you can top tanks off if needed.

After Brunch we'll meander up the Senator Highway, stopping for photo ops and snack stops.

Any Questions: Please contact Chuy Medina at either [email protected] or 480-440-4666.

crownking6.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Attention AZ Beemers GS and Arizoan FJR Forum Dusty Dirty Dual Sporters: Let's ride up to Crown King on Sunday, September 25. We'll depart from Chevron Fuel and Food Station at Carefree Hwy and I-17. Convenience store is at the Northeast Corner of Interstate 17 & State Route 74 Carefree Hwy. Kickstands will be up at 0730 and we will proceed to the Crown King Saloon for our Brunch.
How is this ride for a newbie GS rider who does not even know how to turn off the ABS?
Easy-Peasy, picinisco! We're going up the "Front Range" way to Crown King, route of the old mining railway roadbed; not the tough way Don, Steve and Drew recently rode. We'll show you how to disable your ABS. I'll be on my F650GS Twin and my Buddy AVGeek will be on his Super Tenere "big" Trailie! Even rushes could ride it!!!

I wannnnna goooooo!

Find me a fricking dualsport that I can borrow and bang up. If you were truly a 'good' bastard step-pappy, you would have an old cheap KLR in your garage for your favorite illegitimate step-son to ride with his papa!

Hey Scooter, If you want to come down to Tucson and pick one up,

you can borrow my "07 KLR.

Joe

Hey Scooter, If you want to come down to Tucson and pick one up,

you can borrow my "07 KLR.

Joe
Tucson Joe, Pregunta: Did you sell the Suzuki DR650 to your Son, after we rode Mexico's Copper Canyon together? Seems like you did, or at least were talking about it!

Mi Amigo Jose, you're certainly welcome to stay Saturday night, September 24th at mi Casa; I have the 2nd bedroom all set up for guests, brand new furniture/bedding!

I wannnnna goooooo!

Find me a fricking dualsport that I can borrow and bang up. If you were truly a 'good' bastard step-pappy, you would have an old cheap KLR in your garage for your favorite illegitimate step-son to ride with his papa!
Point well taken, mi Hijo Bastardo! You were right, I should've bought a house with a 3-car garage last year. If I had, I'd have a "beater" KLR for you El Pendejo Grande!

Don, I still have the DRZ.

Also the KLR which Greg can borrow if he wants.

I will think about the invite after we get back from SW FOG.

Since I finally have work I may have to stay home and do some.

Jose

Will try to make it!
BUMP REMINDER!

3 weeks from today we're going on a really fun all day dirt ride. Don't miss this DIRTY DIRT event!

Great offroad trek for all sizes of dual sport bikes. So easy even yamafitter and fjrrider can ride it!

BUMP REMINDER!

2 weeks from today we're going on a really fun all day dirt ride. Don't miss this DIRTY DIRT event!

Great offroad trek for all sizes of dual sport bikes. So easy even dcarver and Uberkul can ride it!

BUMP REMINDER!

This sounds like a great way to break in my Tenere but there is one thing that I don't like about dirt riding................the dirt. :p The crap OEM 95/5 tires on my Tenere don't help either.

This sounds like a great way to break in my Tenere but there is one thing that I don't like about dirt riding................the dirt. :p The crap OEM 95/5 tires on my Tenere don't help either.
I have two other off road rides I am going to post up after the Senator Highway ride, I will just double check the available dates at the Crown King brunch with those moto participants.

I'm thinking of our dual sport riding Forest Route 300 from Pine to Forest Lakes on Sunday, November 6 and the Oracle back road ride up to Mt. Lemmon on Sunday, November 20th.

Big Traile Bike Tires, One Rider's Opinion: I know discussing motorcycle tires is like discussing motorcycle oils, the discussion never ends! But here's what's worked well for me off road riding:

1996 BMW R1100GS: Either Metzeler Tourances or Bridgestone Trail Wings have carried "Mi Mexico Mule" from Mexico to Alaska. More street oriented, RGS is a fatty!

2009 BMW F650GS Twin "Mi Senorita Salma Hayek": For serious dirt work such as Copper Canyon I use Continental TKC80's and for all around Avon Distanzias!

I have two other off road rides I am going to post up after the Senator Highway ride, I will just double check the available dates at the Crown King brunch with those moto participants.

I'm thinking of our dual sport riding Forest Route 300 from Pine to Forest Lakes on Sunday, November 6 and the Oracle back road ride up to Mt. Lemmon on Sunday, November 20th.

Big Traile Bike Tires, One Rider's Opinion: I know discussing motorcycle tires is like discussing motorcycle oils, the discussion never ends! But here's what's worked well for me off road riding:

1996 BMW R1100GS: Either Metzeler Tourances or Bridgestone Trail Wings have carried "Mi Mexico Mule" from Mexico to Alaska. More street oriented, RGS is a fatty!

2009 BMW F650GS Twin "Mi Senorita Salma Hayek": For serious dirt work such as Copper Canyon I use Continental TKC80's and for all around Avon Distanzias!
Thanks for the trip feedback...will things cool down by November?

As for tires, I have a set of Bridgestone Battlewings for when my OEM tires wear out but the Battlewings are a 90/10 tire so they also are much more a street tire. I recently mounted a rear Shinko E705 on a friends V-Strom and was pretty impressed with the depth of the tread and that he only had to pay a local dealer $80 for the tire. Turns out it is a 75/25 tire and looks like a very good option for some semi-serious dirt riding.

BUMP REMINDER!

A week from today we're going on a really fun all day dirt ride.  Don't miss this DIRTY DIRT DIRTY event!

Great offroad trek for all sizes of dual sport bikes.  So easy that even Ignacio and RenoJohn could ride it!

BUMP REMINDER!

Saw this over on the ADVrider forum, I hope the road is better now.  This was posted a week ago:

Be careful leaving Crown King as they just graded the Senator Highway and it is very loose on top and the rocks are still there, just an inch or so under the new top, keep your front end light and stay on the gas and it is no problem. Go slow and plow....
Thanks for the heads up there, we will stay aware and alert on this; sounds like what they did to the Florence-Kelvin dirt road two years ago, that surface was loose as a goose for almost year after they graded it and gravel topped it!

On this coming Sunday, Old BeemerDonS will be riding his BMW "Salma Hayek".

Papa Chuy Viejo really wishes he was riding the Mexican Salma Hayek instead!

SALMA-HAYEK-NUANCE.jpg