Centech AP-1 mounting location in front of 03-05 FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyway

Reaction score
I'm in the process of a re-wire of my electrical farkles and would like to see photo's/hear from anyone who has a Centech AP-1 up front somewhere with easy access to the fuses. If anyone has figured out a way to access the fuses without having to remove any plastic, even better.

I haven't purchased this unit yet, with the hopes that someone can come through with some creativity.

Electrically challenged in NorCal. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the process of a re-wire of my electrical farkles and would like to see photo's/hear from anyone who has a Centech AP-1 up front somewhere with easy access to the fuses. If anyone has figured out a way to access the fuses without having to remove any plastic, even better.
I haven't purchased this unit yet, with the hopes that someone can come through with some creativity.

Electrically challenged in NorCal. :blink:
I took the cover off, yanked the stand-offs on one side and used one stand-off hole and fastened it to the lower left mirror bolt. Yeah, I gotta yank the panel off, but I have that down to about 45 seconds. Prior to that location, I had it mounted to the outside of the fairing pocket, mounted to the solenoid mounting points - lined up perfectly. I've seen quite a few mounted in the tool tray too, but mine is otherwise occupado.

I took the cover off, yanked the stand-offs on one side and used one stand-off hole and fastened it to the lower left mirror bolt. Yeah, I gotta yank the panel off, but I have that down to about 45 seconds. Prior to that location, I had it mounted to the outside of the fairing pocket, mounted to the solenoid mounting points - lined up perfectly. I've seen quite a few mounted in the tool tray too, but mine is otherwise occupado.
Please tell me you have photo's somewhere of both versions of this install? :dribble:

Here's an idea for you !! This is how I ran my electrical on the 04. I don't know if the Centec will fit there though ?

MM2 took this idea and found another fuse block assembly at a trucking store, or somewhere like that, and fitted out his glove box too. I'm sure he'll post up. :D

gloveboxelectrical2.jpg

I found this while prowling around on E bay. I searched " fuse box " or something to that affect. It's a Ford unit, that's all I know about it. I gambled $30 to buy it, and it fit . I still used barrier strips up front as those six in the pic weren't enough.

On the 06 I used Blue Sea in the tail, and a couple small barrier strips up front, there's not much room on the 06 up front.

I think under the rear seat is a good place to put your Centech.

Thats where I put my unit. It fit in a spot I could get to ASAP.

Of course you have to run the wires longer from the battery

though. :yahoo:

Yup. It also allows 'field access' to the wiring looms that I added should my expertly soldered and spliced connections decide to send up smoke signals... Ahem.

:blink:

Just wondering if there are any companies offering a discount on this unit below $50? Does anyone have one they want to sell?

Thanks for the link, I may have to call them for some goodies.
Hi all,

I'm a little late to the thread. I found Eastern Beaver another way and ordered the AP-1 wiring kit. He made it and shipped it out the same day and it arrived in a week from Japan! That's faster than I get some stuff from the US.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out where to put my AP-1 (I would like it up front, too). I had Jim make the wires from the relay for the AP-1 24", so I can keep pondering.

twowheelnut, the reason I chose 24" was because I'm mounting the relay near the battery and the location you put yours was what I was thinking about. When I got all the parts in, though, I sure doesn't look like there's a lot of room to operate there. Did you just get rid of the hardware that locks the glove box? How did you mount it?

Here are a couple of pix of where I temporarily am thinking about mounting the fuse box. With either twowheelnut's or my installation, it looks like we'll be taking off plastic to get to it. I really like the idea of using the glove box as a fuse panel bucket, though the AP-1 looks like it would be a very tight fit in there.

Decisions, decisions!

So far, here's what I'm looking at:

Long Shot of mounting spot

Medium Shot of mounting spot

Close up of mounting spot

I cut a plastic household switch plate (solid) to size, screwed the AP-1 to it and used velcro to put it on the metal bar that runs under the instrument panel. Once I get all my initial stuff added on, I'll add a zip tie on this place.

I'm not committed to any of this yet, so please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Scott

p.s., what's the secret of embedding pictures on these boards, I tried a few things and then gave up and just linked to them. sk

Thanks for the link, I may have to call them for some goodies.
Hi all,

I'm a little late to the thread. I found Eastern Beaver another way and ordered the AP-1 wiring kit. He made it and shipped it out the same day and it arrived in a week from Japan! That's faster than I get some stuff from the US.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out where to put my AP-1 (I would like it up front, too). I had Jim make the wires from the relay for the AP-1 24", so I can keep pondering.

twowheelnut, the reason I chose 24" was because I'm mounting the relay near the battery and the location you put yours was what I was thinking about. When I got all the parts in, though, I sure doesn't look like there's a lot of room to operate there. Did you just get rid of the hardware that locks the glove box? How did you mount it?

Here are a couple of pix of where I temporarily am thinking about mounting the fuse box. With either twowheelnut's or my installation, it looks like we'll be taking off plastic to get to it. I really like the idea of using the glove box as a fuse panel bucket, though the AP-1 looks like it would be a very tight fit in there.

Decisions, decisions!

So far, here's what I'm looking at:

Long Shot of mounting spot

Medium Shot of mounting spot

Close up of mounting spot

I cut a plastic household switch plate (solid) to size, screwed the AP-1 to it and used velcro to put it on the metal bar that runs under the instrument panel. Once I get all my initial stuff added on, I'll add a zip tie on this place.

I'm not committed to any of this yet, so please let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Scott

p.s., what's the secret of embedding pictures on these boards, I tried a few things and then gave up and just linked to them. sk