Center Stand - Lubrication

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
First, I'd like to say that the DOD GAMN FUTHERMUCKER ENGINEER that designed the center stand attachments should be dragged into the parking lot and have 4 ea, red hot M10x35x1.25 bolts with matching lock nuts SHOVED UP HIS ASS!! Assuming, of course, that his head isn't in the way. What ever possessed those bolts to be inserted the direction they are at the factory so you have go to extremes to remove them? Oh yeah -it's about ease of assembly, ain't it?

OK - rant over. But !!! YAMAHA, TAKE NOTE !~!

That being said .....

I'm in the process of doing all kinds of maintenance to someone else's bike - it's an 06 with 93K, second owner. And this is what two of the four center stand attachment bolts look like:

1163001074_BwfKc-L.jpg

So far only the cheap (less expensive) parts are corroded - swing arm shaft, lower and upper shock are all clean. Rear drive looks fine, and no leaking seals anywhere. If you think about it, it really says something about the engine design.

Too bad Yamaha effed up the center stand install. Guess it was kind of an afterthought, or perhaps the assembly designer is dyslexic? New hardware is on the way.

Yeah. Due to others going there I knew it was a bitch. So I never did disassemble it. Wonder what the old Dirty Ol Whore's bolts looked like after 226,000 miles?

Sigh. This is on my List Of Things To Do Soon, and I've been putting it off because I know it's going to be such a PITA. I dread it more than a valve check.

I just went through the same thing. I ordred up two new bolts and run the front onces from the inside out. You will need to either use a shorter bolt or put a couple of washers to prevent the bolts from hitting the exhaust. This job should be much easier next winter. If there is any want to inspect/lube the front shock relay arm, this job needs to happen.

Canadian FJR

Yeah-went thru this nonsense too..While the stand was off I greased the two large bolts that the stand pivots on and maybe it goes up on the stand easier now..also an annoying squeak is gone.

+1 - Just went through this to grease the relay arm pivots. You have to remove the center stand (at least the right side) bracket to remove the front relay arm pivot bolt far enough to get the arm out.

The 4 center stand bracket bolts can be removed without cutting them (or removing the exhaust headers) by prying down on the exhaust cans after removing the support bolts and letting it hang by the header pipes. Then reinstall the bolts from the inside so it will be easier next time. The bolts on my '05 looked significantly better than the ones shown above, so I just reused them. The 2 actual pivot bolts that the center stand pivots on do not need to be removed to remove the center stand from the bike. The two side brackets can be left attached to the center stand via those two bolts. The pivots (on mine at least) are so sloppy and loose that you can easily gets some lubricant in there on those pivots without completely disassembling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wagering those bolts would go 10yrs or more before snapping, I'd slather some used motor oil up there with a toothbrush a couple times & forgettaboutit before I'd go to that trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm wagering those bolts would go 10yrs or more before snapping, I'd...forgettaboutit before I'd go to that trouble.
The problem isn't those bolts snapping, it is the suspension parts that freeze and snap. Those bolts are just an obstacle that has to be surmounted to get to the problem parts.

+1 Yeah, I'd never take the CS off just to lube it.

But, unfortunately it has to come off to get to the rear suspension relay arm front pivot.

The suspension lube and center stand are on my to do list for this winter. Reading this thread has spurred me to think more closely about the job. The question I've got is how do you support the bike when doing all this rear suspension work? Hang from the rear sub frame?

In 7 years and 226,000 miles I never did lube my swingarm pivot.............
Well that's good enough for me. I'm not going to do it either, but I wonder how many more river fordings the linkage can take.
Yeah Fred just went to all this trouble & everything was dandy.Count me in the never camp too, unless I can feel it, it's working OK.

Well that's good enough for me. I'm not going to do it either, but I wonder how many more river fordings the linkage can take.
Yeah Fred just went to all this trouble & everything was dandy.Count me in the never camp too, unless I can feel it, it's working OK.

Well, it was dandy for now... but the grease in my suspension pivots was not grease anymore. It had solidifed to a plastic like consistency, which didn't give me a wearm fuzzy feeling about how well it was lubricating those bearings. How much longer it would have remained dandy is the question. I don't feel that it was a waste of time to do.

Well, it was dandy for now... but the grease in my suspension pivots was not grease anymore. It had solidifed to a plastic like consistency, which didn't give me a wearm fuzzy feeling about how well it was lubricating those bearings. How much longer it would have remained dandy is the question. I don't feel that it was a waste of time to do.
I've not done the entire relay yet, but did get to the easy bolt, and it came out corroded and the bearing disintegrated, lost about 6 rollers. Had to button it up, well greased, then ride 800 miles home. I need to do mine.

Hey Hal, wanna make a road trip? Free food. Great roads. Just a little wrenching?

Are you sure that stuff is not supposed to be semi-solid like that?

Latest posts