Chaco Canyon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvermist

Reaction score
My wife (w/ WeeStrom) and I (w/FJR) are planning a spring trip to Chaco Canyon. How are the roads in the canyon area? Packed dirt? Gravel? What? Thanks.

My wife (w/ WeeStrom) and I (w/FJR) are planning a spring trip to Chaco Canyon. How are the roads in the canyon area? Packed dirt? Gravel? What? Thanks.
I've only been out there once, just last year, but it was well maintained gravel at that time. Very interesting place - enjoy!

I've been there on a bike- and as long as it's dry, it's not that bad. From the pavement, it's ~17 miles of dirt/gravel. Some washboard, but easily traveled. If it rains while you're in there, you'll find about 4" of mud on top of hardpack. And potentially several streams that did not exist on the way in. About 2-3 feet deep. It can be done w/out dropping the bike, but it's very unpleasant. But if it's dry, no problem. And it has the added benefit of being far enough away that you may well be the only one there :) . Good luck,

I was there many years ago with 2 riding buddies (3 bikes) and it was very difficult getting there (may not be that bad nowdays?). Also, I think there are several ways to get there and the road you choose (when on a m/c) can be critical -- I guess it may be good to ask locally (we didn't). When we left Chaco Cyn we decided, that because it was so bad on the way in, we'd take a different way out -- it wasn't any better.... :blink:

It is a great experience, tho, to go that far back in time (so-to-speak) and get a glimpse of that culture. :)