Change fork oil, or make changes to them?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
So I'm writing a list of things that I am going to do/buy for my bike when I return to the states from deployment. I've been watching the classifieds seeing if any of them go on sale, and some have, but I'm wondering about my suspension now . . .

What I DON'T do, is race or ride my bike to it's fullest capacity. I tend to cruise along, riding mostly with a rider's club that contains almost ALL cruisers and goldwings. I do like to open it up a little in some twisties here or there, but haven't really taken it to the max. Will I in the future? Not sure. I haven't scraped pegs yet on this bike. I did so on a cruiser I had which convinced me that the ground clearance on the cruiser was my limiting factor. So I bought something a little sportier but still comfortable.

When I get back, I'm torn between just changing the fork oil in the front forks. But then I think, "Well, if I'm gonna do that, that's my chance to put in new springs. Now for a bike that is mostly commuting, saturday fun-runs with a riding club, and the occasional weekend trip with the girlfriend or occasional fun run on my own with a little more spirited riding (but still not exploring it's limits), should I be thinking about changing the springs or anything else with the forks in addition to the oil?

Alexi

So I'm writing a list of things that I am going to do/buy for my bike when I return to the states from deployment. I've been watching the classifieds seeing if any of them go on sale, and some have, but I'm wondering about my suspension now . . .
What I DON'T do, is race or ride my bike to it's fullest capacity. I tend to cruise along, riding mostly with a rider's club that contains almost ALL cruisers and goldwings. I do like to open it up a little in some twisties here or there, but haven't really taken it to the max. Will I in the future? Not sure. I haven't scraped pegs yet on this bike. I did so on a cruiser I had which convinced me that the ground clearance on the cruiser was my limiting factor. So I bought something a little sportier but still comfortable.

When I get back, I'm torn between just changing the fork oil in the front forks. But then I think, "Well, if I'm gonna do that, that's my chance to put in new springs. Now for a bike that is mostly commuting, saturday fun-runs with a riding club, and the occasional weekend trip with the girlfriend or occasional fun run on my own with a little more spirited riding (but still not exploring it's limits), should I be thinking about changing the springs or anything else with the forks in addition to the oil?

Alexi
I change mine every year as well as brake and clutch fluid. It is always very dirty - even when I was riding my VTX 1300.

It doesn't sound like you ride hard enough to justify putting lots of money into the suspension, but consider at least the following:

If you have some miles (> 30k would be my guess) you'll probably need new bushings in your forks. I did mine at 38k they were definitely worn out.

If you weigh much more than 200lbs a simple spring upgrade ($200?) wouldn't be a bad idea, with a thicker fluid to get the rebound/compression to match the new spring.

Those are the cheap options.

The rear shock is pretty good, but will also wear out with 30-40k on it, or sooner if two-up. Mine was hosed by 25k (one-up) and could no longer control the spring. A stiffer spring and new (rebuildable) shock would have more adjustment range to handle two-up better, and the more comfy your pillion the more often your pillion will ride with you (so adjust accordingly ....!). But a new rear shock isn't cheap, so hard to justify if the stock one isn't worn on.

Suspension upgrades aren't all about cornering either. Here in MN the roads are absolute crap, and with GPS forks and an ohlins in the back, it handles the expansion cracks and potholes and patches very well yet is stiff enough when playing on the WI alphabet roads.

Much of it comes down to money .. if you don't ride hard, it's hard to justify spending $1700 on bouncy bits. But $200 in springs and fresh fluid would do wonders on a budget.

Much of it comes down to money .. if you don't ride hard, it's hard to justify spending $1700 on bouncy bits. But $200 in springs and fresh fluid would do wonders on a budget.
Any recommendations? I figure it's an older bike and I DO ride two-up often enough. I'll probably just do the front forks when I get back and worry about the rear shock when it's more evident that it's not performing well and the rear just bounces around and sags too much.

Alexi