Changing Clutch Engagement Point WITHOUT Adjusting the Lever

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tesla

Reaction score
I've searched high and low for this to no avail. I may replace my 07 clutch slave to a first gen slave but I understand that it will not change the engagement point of the clutch. One person said that it even brings it closer to the grip. The engagement point for me is perfect when the clutch handle is all the way out but my hands are not that big. I understand the Pazzo's clutches are popular but it doesn't help with changing the engagement point. Any ideas?

None. I have two 04 FJRs and each has a different engagement point. One is close to full lever out, the other is close to fully pulled in. Go figure.

Always drives me nuts to go between the two.

Moving to Technical Discussions...............

Hydraulics clucthes are funny that way. Now if it were cable....

I like mine off the grip a bit, like way out. I hate to have to have it all the way in just to make sure I don't creep up anywhere. My FeeJ engages just a little sooner then I'd prefer, but it's not bad, I'm ok with it.

If you haven't already, it doesn't hurt to flush and bleed the clutch to remove any possible air that might have affected the engagement point. I have a Gen 1 clutch slave here which I will try later this year, so cannot comment on the difference, if any. I just wanted to reduce the effort a bit. I have my lever set on 3 or 4 to avoid the marginal engagement point.

A question for anyone who swapped from a GenII to a GenI clutch slave cylinder. Does it make a noticeable difference, enough to justify the effort and cost? Is there any downside to doing this swap? I can't imagine why Yamaha would have used a different, "heavier" clutch cylinder on the GenII without a good reason :huh:

I think the Gen I slave is bigger diameter than the Gen II. That should make it easier to pull the lever, but will also require more lever travel.

The change may have been because of the intro of the AE, and it's inner workings.

A question for anyone who swapped from a GenII to a GenI clutch slave cylinder. Does it make a noticeable difference, enough to justify the effort and cost? Is there any downside to doing this swap? I can't imagine why Yamaha would have used a different, "heavier" clutch cylinder on the GenII without a good reason :huh:
Yes, it makes a difference. If it's enough to justify effort and cost is entirely a individuals opinion. No downside.

Don't know why Yamaha went to a 'heavier' clutch, but as RR aludes to above, it coincided with the introduction of the AE auto-clutch. However, due to complaints, Yamaha went back to the lighter-pull slave cylinder in either 08 or 09.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone attempted a switch to a cable setup? I remember doing it on my TLR a loooong time ago, but don't remember too much about how I did it.

I've searched high and low for this to no avail. I may replace my 07 clutch slave to a first gen slave but I understand that it will not change the engagement point of the clutch. One person said that it even brings it closer to the grip. The engagement point for me is perfect when the clutch handle is all the way out but my hands are not that big. I understand the Pazzo's clutches are popular but it doesn't help with changing the engagement point. Any ideas?
I put the Gen 1 slave on and I felt it reduced the pressure to pull it in and the engagment point changed less than a 1/4", I also have Pazzo short levers and with the adjustments I found the right feel for where I like the lever to be when it starts to engage.

Has anyone attempted a switch to a cable setup? I remember doing it on my TLR a loooong time ago, but don't remember too much about how I did it.
No. I don't think anybody wanted to make it more prone to breakage, stretching, or need more maintenance.

Yes, it makes a difference. If it's enough to justify effort and cost is entirely a individuals opinion. No downside.

Don't know why Yamaha went to a 'heavier' clutch, but as RR aludes to above, it coincided with the introduction of the AE auto-clutch. However, due to complaints, Yamaha went back to the lighter-pull slave cylinder in either 08 or 09.
Thanks for the info Skooter, just for the sake of anyone reading this thread in the future, when checking the part# i noticed that the GenI clutch cylinder # only starts from 2009 model FJR, the '08 is listed with the GenII part #.

I put the Gen 1 slave on and I felt it reduced the pressure to pull it in and the engagment point changed less than a 1/4", I also have Pazzo short levers and with the adjustments I found the right feel for where I like the lever to be when it starts to engage.
What about the 09 and 10 where Yamaha went back to a the Gen 1 slave. Does the engagement point change as it did in ahchiu's experience or is it the same as the Gen 1 bikes? Anyone compare the friction zone on the Gen 1 to the Gen 2 bikes?

To clarify my question, is the friction zone on the 09 and 10 at the same point as the 2nd gen bikes?

I just finished installing a GEN I clutch slave cylinder on my 07 GEN II. The engagement point is even closer to the handlebar, as has been noted by others. Mine starts engaging within about 3/8" distance from the handle bar. Too close for my taste. I'm thinking that, perhaps, the only way to correct this is to go to a slightly longer clutch push rod which should move the engagement point. Has anyone tried this??? Is there a longer push rod, perhaps used in another Yamaha model?

Thanks,

John

Valid point John..but

I like pie!

Seriously though, I just took a 3/16th screw, cut off the head, and worked it with my dremel till it felt right.. It's been three years and it's working fine.

:jester:

I just finished installing a GEN I clutch slave cylinder on my 07 GEN II. The engagement point is even closer to the handlebar, as has been noted by others. Mine starts engaging within about 3/8" distance from the handle bar. Too close for my taste. I'm thinking that, perhaps, the only way to correct this is to go to a slightly longer clutch push rod which should move the engagement point. Has anyone tried this??? Is there a longer push rod, perhaps used in another Yamaha model?
Thanks,

John
I went with Pazzo levers that adjust in and out after I put Gen1 slave and I got the lever to feel right.

Thanks,

John
I went with Pazzo levers that adjust in and out after I put Gen1 slave and I got the lever to feel right.
Are they a drop-in replacement, or do you have to have some modicum of mechanical ability to install them? (This question brought to you by someone without said modicum.)