Changing headlight bulb

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBryer

Reaction score
I've got a burned out light and I'm trying to install a new one. I can't figure out where the metal clips in there attach to. Anyone have any insight?

What metal clips are these you speak of? The bulb is designed to self align using the three tabs in the base. Push on the ring retainer and swing it out of the way, remove junk bulb, insert new, swing home and re-set the retainer, plug in and ride.

Oh, and be aware the other bulb will also cook shortly, I mean in 5-6 starts from now. Replace both at the same time.

I've got a burned out light and I'm trying to install a new one.  I can't figure out where the metal clips in there attach to.  Anyone have any insight?
If I understand the question right.....it's either how you push, turn, twist or otherwise manipulate that metal clip to get the light bulb out or back in? Doing it blind with fat fingers is tough.

You've pulled off the three prong plug and you've pulled off the rubber boot with a hole in the center and about three inches around. A metal clip spans the back of the bulb. One end of it sort of sticks up and feels a bit springy when you push it.

Push it.

But, besides pushing it you're also deflecting to one side and then relaxing. One of the directions and the retainer will pop open.

Putting it back in is a bit harder

I couldn't find an FJR specific image, but I did find these to help visualize.

HID18R.jpg

mult_h4_headlamps_pic4_big.jpg

Just one you have to free on the FJR though The other retainer spring is sympathetic to the first.

Oh, and be aware the other bulb will also cook shortly, I mean in 5-6 starts from now.  Replace both at the same time.
Rad is dead nuts on with this one. Just replace BOTH of them now.

And if you want really good halogens, go to Powerbulbs.com and get some silver stars or the even brighter bulbs they are promoting. Pretty good deals and MUCH better ligh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and be aware the other bulb will also cook shortly, I mean in 5-6 starts from now.  Replace both at the same time.

And if you want really good halogens, go to POWERBULB.com and get some silver stars or the even brighter bulbs they are promoting. Pretty good deals and MUCH better ligh.
Ahhhhhhhhhh

Fooey on ya both!!!!

I had a headlight burn out 5 weeks and 5000 miles ago. Only replaced the one. The other one is doing just fine.

You guys work for bulb manufacturers or something?

:bleh:

And if you want really good halogens, go to POWERBULB.com and get some silver stars or the even brighter bulbs they are promoting. Pretty good deals and MUCH better ligh.
Ahhhhhhhhhh

Fooey on ya both!!!!

I had a headlight burn out 5 weeks and 5000 miles ago. Only replaced the one. The other one is doing just fine.

You guys work for bulb manufacturers or something?

No, I'm absolutely serious. Both of mine burned out at the same time, too. And I've been told by SEVERAL others that this has happened to their FJR as well.

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled program. ;)

(Did I say I had OSRAM stock?)

Fooey on ya both!!!!
I had a headlight burn out 5 weeks and 5000 miles ago.  Only replaced the one.  The other one is doing just fine.
Your other bulb will go out on you at ~ 1AM during the Spank Rally.

Change it now. Seriously.

Fooey on ya both!!!!
I had a headlight burn out 5 weeks and 5000 miles ago.  Only replaced the one.  The other one is doing just fine.

Another naysayer!

You tryed to this same boring old scare tactic last time as I was preparing for the LOE1000. And of course everything went fine.

Tell you what, how about a little wager?

If it lasts through the SPANK rally, then..........oh.............um..............you buy me that new Garmin 2730 GPS. :D

And if it goes out, what would you like?

Free babysitting duties? Condoms? Just don't tell me I have to shave your legs! :dribble:

One advantage on the Feej is that it has 2 headlights, so it's not hard to stay legal by replacing one bulb and wait on the other-I did this on my recent cruise and then replaced both with matched bulbs on getting home. But, nightime riding will suffer, and, should the bizarre happen, and the new bulb crap out, you're SOL. I've often changed out parts that might have had more useful life left in them, but were questionable, only because it's much cheaper, easier, and less annoying to change them on my schedule, not theirs. This goes for lamps as well as belts, tires, and filters, as well as some hard parts like sensors, alternators and starters, etc. It only makes sense to, when anticipating a long ride/drive, up the PM ante so as to prevent hassles on the road when one is least prepared to deal with them, and the interruption the repair would cause. ;)

True enough about the advantage of dual headlights.

As for the rest of your rhetoric - Phooey!!!! Next you will be advocating oil changes every 1500-1800 miles! :eek:

Old bulb is on the left side and I carry a spare. Easy to change out, even on the road. And of course I have PHIDs. Now my right bulb requires major surgery to change out so thats a different story.

You guys got this stubborn S.O.B. going and so I am going to leave it in there until it departs this world. Probably a long, long, time from now. ;)

Well certainly your situation is different. Carrying a spare kinda eliminates most of the potential problem. And if you have PHIDs its a non issue.

For us normal mortals, though, with only two stock lights, I'd still say change them both. AND carry a spare.

Fooey on ya both!!!!

I hear ya! :clap:

When my wondermous Philips Vision +50% low beam went out on the left side, I replaced them both as a pair.

Easier now (during the day, in the garage) than at 1 or 2 am on the side of the road in the rain.

I replaced my oe bulbs with whiter versions at about 5000 miles. They quit at 15,000, 1 year later. They were Phillips, IIRC.

What mileage is everyone having to change out these bulbs?
It's very difficult to determine bulb longevity by mileage.

With folks like Bounce and Warchild around, they could last 30 thousand miles, but that could translate into only 6 or 7 months.

Conversely, BrunDog will probably have to replace HIS lights every 1500 miles or so...

...of course, that's every 3 years.

:p

Latest posts