Changing Tires with Centerstand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temp357

Reaction score
Can the front and rear tires be removed when on the cneterstand without having to raise the bike? On my BMW R1100S this is a piece of cake. I'd change the rear and then weight it down to lift up the front and then change the front.

Not quite. You need to raise up the front end with small jack. I happen to use a leftover jack from an old Volkswagen and a 2"x4" layed under the headers to distribute weight.

Here is an easy to make piece if you want to avoid putting too much pressure on them.

The alternative? A 200+ pounder sitting on the back seat I think.

I have not actually removd the wheel, however at the shop I went to the put the bike on a nice motorcycle lift.

It alloud them to work at an easier height, they only used the center stand and did as you have stated

you might have to place somethng under the center stand, 2x8 etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I took both off using 3/4" plywood under the center stand to make getting the rear tire off easier.

I raised the front by using a homemade frontstand and supporting the forks with a couple of towels and a pair of jack stands as backup

To do the back I take off the right exhaust (3 bolts 2 mins)

Allows you to get the rear out and makes it much easier to align abs cover and rear caliper.

For the front I have a race stand.

Chris

I have changed both tires on the centerstand, but I do raise the bike. I very gently jack the bike up at the front by the exhaust pipes just to set the back tire against the ground. Then it's a matter of scooting the front wheel down and out at an angle to the side. Back wheel easily comes out with the bike on the center stand.

Here's a pic of my bike in a dealership parking lot. I removed the rim myself to keep the costs down.

P5150440.jpg

What I do is ......

1. loosen all the bolts I need to
  2. put the bike on the centerstand so that the tail is close to an imovable object (parking block, fence, sewer grate, automobile rim, etc...)
  3. run a nylon lashing strap though object and through rear grab rail
  4. climb on passenger portion to lower the rear wheel to the ground
  5. take up the slack and tighten the strap
  6. remove front rim

Here's a pic of my bike in a dealership parking lot. I removed the rim myself to keep the costs down.
What I do is ......

1. loosen all the bolts I need to
  2. put the bike on the centerstand so that the tail is close to an imovable object (parking block, fence, sewer grate, automobile rim, etc...)
  3. run a nylon lashing strap though object and through rear grab rail
  4. climb on passenger portion to lower the rear wheel to the ground
  5. take up the slack and tighten the strap
  6. remove front rim
thx :) that was what i was looking for. I just weight the back down with my weights with the bmw. But then the R1100s was pretty light compared to the FJR.

The solution about tying the back down to some solid object is pretty good. I'd never see that before.

One comment about many of the other solutions offered here, if you use the center stand and either a jack under the headers or a rack to raise the front end you can remove both wheels at the same time.

Also, I find that the back wheel clears the fender easier if I put a board under the center stand. This can be done easily by first rolling the back tire up onto a small board and then placing an equally thick, or slightly thicker, board under the center stand before I raise the bike up onto the stand.

Remove the back wheel first, then raise the front end and remove the front wheel.

Mine is balanced on its center stand in the driveway right now with no wheels on it. I'm dropping them off on the way to work to get new rubber.

OK, it isn't balanced; I have a board under the headers. Anyway, I remove the front fender so that I only need to "just" raise the front end. I also have removed the "intension" from the rear fender that holds the reflector. (Reflector remounted in different location for safety) The rear wheel "just" touches the fender when coming out.

The only thing I DON'T like about the setup is the vulnerability to asshats, but I guess the bike is vulnerable almost any time you don't have it under lock-n-key... and even THAT is no guarantee. :eek:

OK, time to go drop those wheels off so I can get to work! :dribble:

The only thing I DON'T like about the setup is the vulnerability to asshats, but I guess the bike is vulnerable almost any time you don't have it under lock-n-key... and even THAT is no guarantee. :eek:
Not sure what an "asshat" is but when I am working on the FJR on the center stand & I don't want it to come forward acidently, I use a tie down strap to pull the center stand forward w/other end around the cat. Works for me. Later,,, De :rolleyes: