Chargalert - On Board Charging System Monitor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR1300A

Reaction score
Well a friend of mine found this and I decided to order one today. I did a forum search for some info on it, but haven't found any.

This is a small microprocessor controlled LED voltage meter. The way it works is:

If the voltage is less than 11.25 (I think) volts the LED is steadily lit.

If it's greater than that, but less than 12.25v then the LED flashes slowly.

If it's greater than 12.25v, but less than 15v the LED is OFF.

If it's greater than 15v then the LED flashes rapidly.

Here is some info,

https://www.chargalert.com/index.html?chgc1.html

https://murpskits.com/catalog/product_info....53195b860858a3e

I like the idea that it's off when everything is working because you don't have something else to distract you. But, if it's off, how do you know that it's working at all? As I said, I did order one and I'll let you know what I think about it when it shows up.

I can think of two other reasons why it's suboptimal to a Datel:

1) It's not remotely waterproof. Either application. One would have to make a substantial effort to seal it or make sure it doesn't get wet somehow.

2) There's a HUGE amount of critical information between 12.25 and 15. We tend to be worried about the butter zone between 12.6 and 14.2 volts where a 1 or 2 tenths of a volt drop as one adds an electrical device is important to know. If you are at 12.3 over time you'll run out of battery and never get a flashing light...until probably the engine starts to sputter.

One gets used to a Datel very quickly and don't think they are distracting....or at least I haven't found mine in the mirror to be distracting the last 60,000 miles.

Plus I think you hit the other point that if the thing fails...you can't tell if it's working or not.

And, how much are they?

Can't argue the pros and cons like Iggy but as far as a Datel being distracting, well......

How distracting are the rest of the gauges on your bike, like the tach and speedo or the fuel and temp gauges?

I do admit, I tend to look at them from time to time. :rolleyes:

Plus, I just feel better seeing the numbers in lieu of the lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
The link indicates the gizmo is $40 -- same as a Datel.

This indicator only alerts you when you are in trouble; it does not give you foresight to a problem that's brewing. It sure could use a STATUS lamp to let you know it's working. The gizmo is basically a $40 idiot light :glare:

With automotive/motorcycle charging circuits shades of gray matter.

The link indicates the gizmo is $40 -- same as a Datel.
This indicator only alerts you when you are in trouble; it does not give you foresight to a problem that's brewing. It sure could use a STATUS lamp to let you know it's working. The gizmo is basically a $40 idiot light :glare:

With automotive/motorcycle charging circuits shades of gray matter.

Look guys, I get it. It's not a Datel and it's questionable as to whether it's insurance or a false sense of security. I'm just looking for alternatives.

Here is another one that stays on all the time but changes color when there is a voltage change.

https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=BOVOLT

Again, if you're happy with the datel, great. I just don't want to cut a hole that big in my bike for it and I don't run enough accessories to have to be worried about every millivolt of power that I consume.

To which I will add, with "Accuracy ± 0.040 volt" and the voltage ranges you mention your gadget should work well for what you want. It also monitors your battery when the ignition is off and will alert you that your battery is low. The quiescent current is probably better than a Datel until the LED starts flashing as your FJR languishes in the garage.

It's better than the BOVOLT for sure, though the BOVOLT is cheaper, er, less expensive.

Did Gadget Planet send you the actual voltages it monitors?

To which I will add, with "Accuracy ± 0.040 volt" and the voltage ranges you mention your gadget should work well for what you want. It also monitors your battery when the ignition is off and will alert you that your battery is low. The quiescent current is probably better than a Datel until the LED starts flashing as your FJR languishes in the garage.
It's better than the BOVOLT for sure, though the BOVOLT is cheaper, er, less expensive.

Did Gadget Planet send you the actual voltages it monitors?

There are just two connections. One goes to any circuit that has power when the ignition switch is on. The other connection goes to ground. Not really rocket science to figure out that it won't kill the battery.

As for the voltages, no I'm guessing based off of the low-res picture from Murphs site.

I just don't want to cut a hole that big in my bike for it
Well, it's not always necessary to cut a big hole in your dash, there are a lot of Datel mounting options to be had....

seatview.jpg

I don't run enough accessories to have to be worried about every millivolt of power that I consume.

Well, in that case, the idiot light gizmo oughta do you fine.... :D

I just don't want to cut a hole that big in my bike for it
Well, it's not always necessary to cut a big hole in your dash, there are a lot of Datel mounting options to be had....

seatview.jpg

Hey,

That looks familiar (sort of)

NLineshelf003.jpg

Is the device on the left an FM tuner?

76.8 was a rockin' "Church of what's happin' now " station back home :unsure:

Well that doesn't exactly support that "clean" look that I'm going for, but yeah, that's another way to go. Thanks for the alternative solution!

Again, if you're happy with the datel, great. I just don't want to cut a hole that big in my bike for it and I don't run enough accessories to have to be worried about every millivolt of power that I consume.
I hear you on that.

If it means anything though....replacement A or D panels aren't that much as one would think at least for Gen I. When I moved mine from my D panel to my mirror I think it was $30 plus shipping.

The other one from Cyclegadgets seems a bit better to me in it has more granularity on voltage levels and trends, but I also wonder a bit about how water resistant it is.

I also wonder a bit about how water resistant it is.

Me too, but I think that if I wrap it in some additional shrink tubing and heat seal the ends then it's at least as water resistant as a heat-troller.

Good to know about the relatively low cost of the panels though. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again.

Latest posts