Chatterbox as Rider to Passenger intercom

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Bought two GMRS-X1 Chatterbox units with the intention of using one for rider and one for passenger. I hate wires!

Dealer said no problem using them that way, even talked me into the higher output and more channels GMRS rather than the lower power FRS units. I questioned possible feedback or swamping before I purchased, but apparently I never talked to the right people.

Even after struggling with the units for about two weeks and talking to one tech at Chatterbox, I was still being pushed down a dead end path. When I called Chatterbox for the third time, I got lucky and talked to a tech that knew right away that I was in trouble.

He did give me a couple ideas to try, and while he could not bless my own proposed solution under warranty, it did work. I disconnected the antenna on one unit (the one I use for the passenger), and it instantly solved the swamping/feedback problem. The darn thing is so powerful that it still communicates well over 200 feet. And if my passenger is more than 200 feet away from me while riding the FJR, well... we've got bigger problems than communicators!

;)

I use the Chatterbox for Rider to Passenger, and you don't need a 2nd chatterbox for your passenger. You are right, it will feedback because it is like having 2 walkie talkies taped together keyed up if you do. All the passenger needs is the headset plugged into your chatterbox with the wire marked "Stereo" only, and your headset should be directly plugged into the unit if mounted on your helmet. If you mount the chatterbox somewhere other than your helmet and use an extention, make sure it has the "N/R" mark on your ext wire. You can play around with the squelch if you want, but I would use the push-to-talk button for easier conversation than trying the Voice activated option.

Secondly, If I had my choice to buy chatterbox again, I would not. There already have been posts about how unreliable they are to work, and after my trip a couple weeks ago. I am definately looking for another alternative bike to bike communication system.

So IMO, return the items and get your money back.