checking the air pressure ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkirk

Reaction score
What do you guys use to easily check and fill the tire pressure ?

Every time I check the pressure I loose 10 to 15 lbs and have to fight putting in the proper air pressure. 36 lbs.

Now where in the Forum did I see something about 90 degree air valve stems ?.

Thanks, Dan :(

That is the only thing I hate on this bike. The valve stems...well, the large discs are in the way.

Now where in the Forum did I see something about 90 degree air valve stems ?.Thanks, Dan  :(
You mean like these?

11970s.jpg

You can buy them HERE from a fellow forum member.

Mine just arrived this past week, so now I just have to wait until the next tire change to install them.

I also find the following air gauge helpful:

Ez-Air_Lg2.jpg

Which you can buy HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks SkooterG,

I was looking for something like the EZ-Air Gauge.

I can't find them up here in toboggan land.

SkooterG

Who has them for sale, I got mine from Arite but unable to find the site again.

rogerfjrfaster :D

SkooterG

Who has them for sale, I got mine from Arite but unable to find the site again. They work great and they are'nt expensive, I think I payed somewhere around 36.00 for the pair.

rogerfjrfaster :D

If I recall correctly from way, way back when, one of the motorcycle magazines did a review of air pressure gauges and found that the pencil gauges (even cheap ones) on the whole were more accurate than pricey dial gauges.

There been any follow up to that in recent memory? Still the case? I've got my pencil and it's good enough. Assuming that you don't mind brake-dusted fingers when checking the pressure. :unsure:

Bob

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Amazingly, I found at Walmart a digital air gauge for around $6.00 that comes w/a key-chain attachment (screws into the end you put on the valve stem) that is short enough (around 2") to fit both front & rear wheels. I compaired it's reading w/several other gauges & it seems accurate. Smaller than my pocket knife, so easy to carry in my pocket on the road, otherwise I'd lose it in my took bag.

James

I got my 90% valves from sportbikeeffects.com. I got my on board tire preassure monitoring system from smartire. (it's the cats ass)

derek

that one Skooter showed is also available with a 90 deg. fitting on the end; works 'easier' than the regular one; I have both. Although I will be changing the stems when its 'tire time'.

dkirk: sounds like you need a new guage. The rubber grommet that seals to the valve stem may be too hard or inadequite, making you lose air. I have two pencil type pressure guages, a short one and a long one, they both have the ~45% head, and both work fine when pressed onto the stem at the right angle.

I don't think the rims need a 90deg stem.

A lot of guys run 42 lbs rear and 40 to 42 lbs front, which I do also.

dkirk: sounds like you need a new guage. The rubber grommet that seals to the valve stem may be too hard or inadequite, making you lose air. I have two pencil type pressure guages, a short one and a long one, they both have the ~45% head, and both work fine when pressed onto the stem at the right angle.I don't think the rims need a 90deg stem.

A lot of guys run 42 lbs rear and 40 to 42 lbs front, which I do also.
Say, Norcal, just where in Norcal are you?

Thanks SkooterG,
I was looking for something like the EZ-Air Gauge.

I can't find them up here in toboggan land.
Accuguage with the flexible hose and 90° chuck on the end. Been using it for years and it works great on every bike I've tried it on. I see a lot out there without the hose and would pass on those; preferring the hose for easier access.

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm/...pid/270/sc/2737

not the one I use, but close

https://www.americanmototire.com/index.html...arget=d866.html

this is closer (mine didn't come with the armor, but that might be nice to have)

https://tinyurl.com/75ph3

this is the exact one I have

Yeah Bounce, I have another gauge like in your first link with the 45 degree end. What I like about the gauge I linked to above, is there is no repeated on and off. Since you put it on, then add air through the gauge, it simplifies the process immensely.

Every time I check the pressure I loose 10 to 15 lbs and  have to fight putting in the proper air pressure.
Wow!!! Must really be difficult to get that job done if you lose 10-15 lbs. every time you do it. I spend an hour lifting weights, 30 minutes bicycling, and 30 minutes in the sauna and only drop 2-3 lbs. :haha: All kidding aside, I have a 12V, 450A jump-start system I bought from Sam's for $40 that has a built in tire pump and pressure gauge. It slips right on my FJR valves with no problem.

Those 90 degree valves look fine - DON'T do what I did and fit the 90 degree valve extensions found on the V-Max, the centrafugal force caused them to bend on the rubber valve and make grooves in the wheel rim!

Regards, Glenn. :agent:

Bike Effects: I live near Shingletown, off hwy 44 between Redding and Mt Lassen.

Have a sister who lives in Glen Ellen in your area.

Jim