Chopped /Bobbed Rear Fender...anyone done one?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Bob

Reaction score
Hi..

I am interested in shortening the rear mudflap on my 07

Anyone done one with good results?

Got pics or any advice and how much did you lop off?

Thanks..Bob

Definitly looks better-except for the mud stripe op your back and stone chips on the tail. I bobbed the fender on my FJ1200 and wished I hadn't. Going the other way now- I put on a Fenda Extenda.

Bob, I did mine by carefully drawing a line across it about the height of that little tab below the plate. I cut it with a hacksaw blade without the frame. Then i filed it smooth. I took off all those reflectors and the cross peice as well. It looks better,but I didn't want it too short. I also took off the saddlebag reflectors while i was there. Most seem to have done that. The ones on the forks are easy to remove also. It cleans up the look of the bike in my opinion.

Hi..
I am interested in shortening the rear mudflap on my 07

Anyone done one with good results?

Got pics or any advice and how much did you lop off?

Thanks..Bob
I used some masking tape and a dremel to cut it off just below the 'nubbie' then removed the license plate bracket and made a 1/8" alum plate a bit bigger than the plate with a 2" 30 degree 'kickout', painted it flat black and mounted it under the plate (directly aganst the fender extension). The plate keeps the muck off my backside and cleans up the rear end (IMHO)...

Wrench

I used a dremmel with the cut off wheel, then re-attached the reflector to make it look more factory. Turned out pretty nice and using the dremmel you get a nice smooth edge. The one thing I don't like is that the tail light gets really dirty really fast.

USELESS.jpg

All of those look awesome.

Check your local laws cause most require a RED reflector on the back of any vehicle for road use. Get the lic platebolts with the reflector caps. Yes, this qualifies.

And yes, CHP will give you a FIX IT ticket for it. Won't pull you for it but since you are having a nice chat with them anyways to discuss your "spirited" riding technique, they may just cite you for this as well.

NOT, that I would know anything about this type of thing.

A few pics here

Dremmel cutting blades are cool.

Your finger nail can clean of burrs.

Wet sand paper on the finished edge will take the cutting shine off the plastic and make it look unmodified.

Latest posts