Chrome/silver face shield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke

Luke
Reaction score
Have you used a chrome/silver face shield?

Do they work well in lieu of sunglasses and will they protect your face from the sun? Are they the same or better protection than a tinted or smoked shield?

I have an Icon Alliance Helmet and thought the chrome would be cool....it looked cool till the chrome stuff wore in certain spots; Now it looks uneven....very easily scratched......reflective stuff wears off too easy. As far as protection goes.....not 100% sure. Certain times of day, sunlight was still annoying.

I you ride at night, you may want to skip and stay with clear.

I ride with clear and use sunglasses. Well, actually, for sunglasses I use tinted safety glasses from Lowes. Keep an extra pair of clear ones in the bike. Safety glasses plus shield may be a little redundant, but I only have 2 eyes! Besides, the safety glasses wrap around better than most sunglasses and they are light and very comfortable. Plus, if I ever need to raise the shield, still have protection. For night riding, switch to clear. I can't see didly-squat with tint at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a blue-mirrored shield on my helmet that I wear sometimes, and keep a clear one in my bag.

The main problem with the tinted one is that I forget to carry sunglasses when I have it lots of the time so when I get off the bike I'm blinded.

I generally now just stick with the clear visor with sunglasses.

I run with a spare face shield in the bag. I like the mirrored shield because it is very dark. I never worry about sun burn. I wear prescription glasses and that is the driving point. Either have two pair of glasses or two face shields. A dark faceshield at night is deadly. It deceives you into believing you can see more than you really can.

I've used the Shoei chrome/silver face shield for the past couple years. It is not quite as dark as the tinted shields or typical sunglasses, but I'm happy with it.

The shield is still in great shape with only a couple nicks after about 20K miles. I agree that you need to keep a clear shield with you in case it becomes overcast or dark.

I have always used and carried both clear and tinted shields.

But I have never known anyone who has used the mirrored shields. That is why I asked about them. If they scratch more easily or wear-off, then I'll stay with the tinted one for day riding.

I'm not talking about the short, casual or commuter trips. My main concern is to have a tinted shield to keep the sun off of my face all day long. And I wanted to know if the mirrored type was the same or better.

I've had silver shields on my Shoei RF1000 and on my pillion's HJC CL-14 for the last couple years. Love them! This is the first time I've had tinted shields, and I've gotten spoiled not having to insert sunglasses through the front of a full face helmet like I have always done before.

You have to be careful not to scratch them, but they're not really much worse than a clear shield in terms of susceptibility for that -- at least not in my couple years with these. Have seen NO evidence of the silvering coming off, as was suggested.

No sunburn problems at all. If I'm going to be out after dark, I take a clear shield for my helmet with me but never bother to take a clear for the HJC with pillion -- GF doesn't need to see everything at night. :lol:

Luke...I got the silver/grey tint when i bought the FJR in the summer of `03, kept it for 2 years then junked it. While it looked super cool (and thats why I bought it), as others have cited, the coating would wear off in the place where I handled it to open and close. The scratches were much more apparent on the silver than any other type shield I`ve ever used and last but not least: at certain angles on a sunny day there was a weird reflection thing happenning on the inside surface of the shield that I found distracting.The last thing I want to see is my own face looking back at me LOL...seriously! :assasin:

Same same. The colored visors (i.e. silver) have a film that is easily scratched or peels off. I have a smoked shield which is great (the tinted ones don't usually have a film on it), and a clear one as a spare. The smoke is too dark at night.

If you go too dark with the shield you might have problems seeing LCD gauges, indicator lights, your gps screen(this is very common). Don't overdue it, the more "mirrored" the shield the darker the tinting behind it. I once had a pair of mirrored prescription sunglasses made. I didn't realize how dark they would be anyplace other than direct sunlight. I couldn't even wear them indoors or at dusk.

Any small scratch I made on them removed most of the tinting and I finally gave up on them. I ended up having most of my sunglasses progressively tinted (darker on top) from then on. Today I can't see my Treo cell phone or some of my Garmin units while wearing polarized sunglasses. IMO :agent:

+1 for the clear shield and sunglasses. It's nice to be able to flip the shield up for a bit of fresh air, and still have eye protection. And no need to carry or change a shield on the road when it gets dark. I know its easy, but not as easy as taking off my sunglasses.

I have a blue mirrored sheild($15) on my KBC flat black flip face and I also wear sun glasses ,, I also carry a clear sheild just in case I'm out after sunset ,,

I have a smoke and clear for my Icon Maniac ,, mirror/smoke ,, no sun burn ,,

Have ridden with the iridium shield on my hjc for several years now and it is FAR superior to using a smoked or combining sunglasses and shield.The iridium,while blocking light and glare in daylight,actually passes more light in dusk and dark riding than smoked,and therefore you don't have to carry two shields.I prefer to ride without sunglasses and shield for comfort,especially when hot.If you exercise a modicum of care when handling the iridium shield,it is relatively stable.By the time my shield was getting spotty,it was time to start shopping for a new helmet anyway.Highly recomend them.