cigar lighter hookup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snikr

Reaction score
I want to add a cigar lighter outlet on my 04. I want ti use it to run my GPS (a Garmin c550) and a Smile compressor (if it's ever needed). I'd like to go the easiest and cheapest route possible. Any ideas?

Tom

Wire it direct to the battery with an inline fuse...the compressor will require a much larger one than the GPS.(but the GPS does have its own proper fuse in the adaptor)

Not sure the best place to install it, but others with Gen I bikes can give you suggestions.

KM

Wire it direct to the battery with an inline fuse...the compressor will require a much larger one than the GPS.(but the GPS does have its own proper fuse in the adaptor)
Not sure the best place to install it, but others with Gen I bikes can give you suggestions.

KM
I have one of those weatherproof rubber covered, rubber capped "official motorcycling" units wire tied to the front brake hose.

CLICKY

3333786884_45e8ce124c.jpg

KM
I have one of those weatherproof rubber covered, rubber capped "official motorcycling" units wire tied to the front brake hose.

CLICKY

3333786884_45e8ce124c.jpg
Jeebus Mike! How do you keep from getting distracted with all that stuff? ;)

Are those small LED flashlights I've seen around, charging in the sockets? I've been thinking of picking one up and leaving it plugged into the cigar socket in the glovebox (Mine is reqired for a heavier electrical load).

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to add a cigar lighter outlet on my 04. I want ti use it to run my GPS (a Garmin c550) and a Smile compressor (if it's ever needed). I'd like to go the easiest and cheapest route possible. Any ideas?
Tom
Hey Tom.

Easiest IMO would be to wire a battery tender type of cable up directly to your battery. Then you can use your Smile compressor (is that like a happy Slime compressor?) and your GPS using an SAE to Cigar lighter female adapter (lots of them around). That way you can also use it to charge up the battery using a battery tender directly on the SAE cable.

An alternative would be to install a Cigar lighter port in your faring directly wired to the battery (fused of course). Then you'd need an adaptor for trickle charging, but you may already have one of those.

As I think you may remember, my set-up is a powerlet female connector in the faring and I use a Powerlet to SAE adaptor for trickle charging, and an SAE to 3-way cigar lighter adapter in my tank bag. There's a whole shitload of ways to skin that cat... ;)

Hey Tom.
Easiest IMO would be to wire a battery tender type of cable up directly to your battery. Then you can use your Smile compressor (is that like a happy Slime compressor?) and your GPS using an SAE to Cigar lighter female adapter (lots of them around). That way you can also use it to charge up the battery using a battery tender directly on the SAE cable.

An alternative would be to install a Cigar lighter port in your faring directly wired to the battery (fused of course). Then you'd need an adaptor for trickle charging, but you may already have one of those.

<snip>
Fred,

A good idea about the tender hookup. However, I already have my intercom and radar detector hooked up that way. I do have the lead to the left horn to use now that I have the loud horns hooked up via FJRandys wiring harness.

Tom

Hey Tom.

<snip>
Fred,

A good idea about the tender hookup. However, I already have my intercom and radar detector hooked up that way. I do have the lead to the left horn to use now that I have the loud horns hooked up via FJRandys wiring harness.

Tom
Hey Tom,

If you already have a lead to the battery hooked up, why not just use the one power point for all the farkles. Just use a 3 way power splitter / cigar lighter socket dealio like I do. Like one of these

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5tYXJpbmVib2F0c3VwcGxpZXMuY29tL2ltYWdlcy8zNDc1My5naWY===.gif

You can cut the end off the power cord and splice on whatever else you might need for adaptation. I put an SAE connector on mine.

Easiest IMO would be to wire a battery tender type of cable up directly to your battery.
That's what I did. Then I made up a couple of adapters that plug into the SAE connector that the Battery Tender uses. One of these adapters is a cigar lighter with a short pigtail.

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like I have my work cut out for me now. Once this weather breaks riding should not be far behind here in Vermont (the land of the Frost Heaves).

Tom

I just slapped a West Marine 12v socket in the battery cover plastic... toward the aft of the panel. I think it was about 8 bucks.

You could just wire it direct to the battery while you are in there (use an inline fuse though).... or do like I did and run it back to my BlueSea fuse block (which is switched, and also available at West Marine) to make sure my dumb ass doesn't kill the battery. I ran 14ga wire ran along the frame.

I typically use it to power my GPS.

FWIW, I put it in the same exact spot as the one pictured by Powerlet, and after I bought the wire my total outlay was just over $10 and about 20 minutes of time.