Clarity Defog It Anti-Fog Treatment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDRydr

A Homeless Nomad
Reaction score
I've just read a review on a defog product that might actually work. With a possible wet & cold trip coming up in just a couple of weeks I've decided I'll give it a try and report back here.

The review I read is HERE. You purchase it at Amazon HERE and it runs $4.99 plus $3.50 shipping.

Standard disclaimer follows....

[SIZE=8pt]No affiliation, YMMV, yada yada yada, etc.[/SIZE]

I just posted about anti-fogging products, having fallen victim to still another fast talking carnival barker at the bike show in November. I got a lot of suggestions, and even went out and bought a small package of FogTech wipes (at about $1 each) but haven't tried them yet. Waiting for a nice chilly day for my test drive. Nobody mentioned this one--it must be pretty new.

I looked at the Pinlock system--and their similar competitors--but 1) they don't make one to fit my helmet, and I don't feel like buying a new helmet to try it out; 2) It uses some kind of "fog absorbing" technology that has a limited life; and 3) Warnings about distortion and light refraction problems, esp. at night. Oh, and 4) It's expensive.

So here I go again, especially since the 5-pack of the FogTech wipes will only last a little while. I'll take another flyer into the sea of gullability. Five bucks plus shipping on the way to the Clarity folks. I'll try the drops this time. Maybe I can post a head-to-head comparison too, in a while. Thanks for the tip, Dennis. I hope. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at the Pinlock system--and their similar competitors--but 1) they don't make one to fit my helmet, and I don't feel like buying a new helmet to try it out; 2) It uses some kind of "fog absorbing" technology that has a limited life; and 3) Warnings about distortion and light refraction problems, esp. at night. Oh, and 4) It's expensive.
Well, I can't help with #1 because I did buy a Nolan specifically to get the Pinlock insert, the flip up, and the buckle instead of the prehistoric D-rings. At the time Nolan was the only helmet in the US that came stock with a Pinlock. I went on the internet and learned about them and went back and bought the helmet, since at the time the Fog City stuff was crap and I really wanted something better, and none of the wipe on/spray on stuff works more than a couple days.

#2 is total BS. None of my inserts have degraded in the about 5 years I've been using them. I've pulled them out of old scratched visors to put into new ones. I know they last at least a year and a half each. Now once I put one in a visor, I don't screw with it. I buy another visor for the summertime.

#3 has a little truth to it, but is still mostly BS. The only time I see any double image is in very very bright sunlight. At night, there's no problems. However, it saved my ass this winter, especially the past 2 weeks. I had total condensation fog around the insert, plus I had beads of water from my breath running down the visor, that's how humid & wet it was here in Florida. We had several days of socked-in fog in the morning. Without it my face would have been freezing with the visor up. I couldn't use the flip-down sun shield because it was totally fogged, but it shows the Pinlock was working.

#4... Wait a minute.... $30 is too expensive? Really?

I don't work for them, but they're one of the very few products these days that does just what it says on the tin.

#4... Wait a minute.... $30 is too expensive? Really?
Not to speak for mr. sacramentomike but it seems he's in the same boat as me, and I think he was really restating #1 - his current helmet doesn't support it. Thus needing to buy a new helmet, which leads us back to 4, which is a new helmet plus $30.

I think. :unsure:

I put a Pinlock Universal on my Schuberth visor. Drilled the holes and put the pins in per instructions. It seemed to work great last year, but now it's fogging up. So I'm going to try the new chit.

I put a Pinlock Universal on my Schuberth visor. Drilled the holes and put the pins in per instructions. It seemed to work great last year, but now it's fogging up. Some I'm going to try the new chit.

Sorry, pal. That's BS. I know cuz Crash Cash said so.

I tried the FogTech wipes and they worked well enought to get me to buy the bottle-$16. It makes a difference how heavy you put it on-to thin and it streaks, to thick and droplets of water condense. If you do just one side of the shield you will be impressed at how well it works.. [i don't own their stock]

2006FJR Last I spoke with him about it (about a year ago), he swears it works. I have NOT tried it myself. I did try this little gem, Suzuka Fog Buster. Each time I put on my helmet the velcro hook side scraped my face. After three times, I had enough, I retruned it. I never could get it to seal correctly. I've read about others who like theirs, I didn't.

PM 2006FJR and see if he still thinks his.

Fogcity

Well, I can't help with #1 because I did buy a Nolan specifically to get the Pinlock insert, the flip up, and the buckle instead of the prehistoric D-rings.
I don't work for them, but they're one of the very few products these days that does just what it says on the tin.

Huh? :blink:

Those "prehistoric" D-rings keep your helmet on your head with 100% certainty .

Those buckles are suspect, at best...

Well, I can't help with #1 because I did buy a Nolan specifically to get the Pinlock insert, the flip up, and the buckle instead of the prehistoric D-rings.
Those "prehistoric" D-rings keep your helmet on your head with 100% certainty .

Those buckles are suspect, at best...
Well, the Echo buckles are crap, that's for sure, but the OEM Nolan ones are really well designed and made, and I'm willing to trust my life to them. Sorry, but I'm not dicking around with D-rings 20 times a day. I can't do/undo them with gloves on either, so they're right out.

And the buckle is a LOT better than when I got frustrated enough with the D-rings to just say "**** it" and left them undone. And I put up with the damn things for 8 or 9 years too.

EDIT: but yeah, if I had a choice between the Echo buckle & D-rings, I'd go with the D-rings.

I'll add my $.02 on Crash Cash's #3. I had the Pinlock on my helmet and had to toss it because of the optical distortion, especially at night. The worst were halos around any source of light. I felt my vision with it at night compromised my safety more than I was willing to risk. So I guess that's the second side of that coin.

I've had good luck with the Respro Foggy. It works well enough that I only have to lift the visor at long lights, but then again I use the Echo buckle on my helmet so maybe I don't have the same high standards as some :unsure: :D

As far as applying stuff to the visor itself, I have only tried dishwashing soap. It actually worked pretty good for the first few rides but then kinda wore off. If this clarity stuff works well for you I may try it out...

I have been very happy with Fog City fog shields for winter riding. They give warnings about reflections etc. but that is just CYA. I rarely notice the reflections. Currently I am using their hyperoptics which turns light blue in the sunlight.

I had always heard of the pinlock but never did it since it was expensive ($60 for visor plus $30 for each insert) plus I never saw in person. Seeing it this past weekend at the Washington Bike Show, I decided to plop down the $90 to get started with it. If I like, I may also buy a dark tint insert as well as the light smoke which they said could be used at night. I will know how it works vs. Fog City in a couple of weeks.

Great!! Now we will get reports from 2 testers... right? ;)

BTW - The WebBikeWorld write up looks very promising. And they generally get it right, IMO.

The Fog City worked well for me.....for about two cold weather seasons. Then it started breaking down and made visibility significantly worse, without fog. Of course, its sort of permanently mounted to the shield, so you lose the shield, too. I picked up a pinlock shield for about $40 online and got the AMA discount at Bike Bandit for the insert (only time I would ever use Bike Bandit....Bandit being the key term).

The Fog City worked well for me.....for about two cold weather seasons. Then it started breaking down and made visibility significantly worse, without fog. Of course, its sort of permanently mounted to the shield, so you lose the shield, too.
I found the same thing on the Fog City when I tried it. But I was able to salvage my visor by peeling it off. Good thing, since there's pretty much no way to get a replacement for my Schuberth.

FYI and slightly off-topic, Schuberth went to a Pinlock on their new C-3 helmet. If I were rich I'd buy one. Comments such as "It's the quietest helmet I've ever worn" tend to catch my attention. REVIEW HERE

Great!! Now we will get reports from 2 testers... right? ;)
BTW - The WebBikeWorld write up looks very promising. And they generally get it right, IMO.
3. ...and I am a big fan of the FogCity shields, but that very small amount of distortion is worth

trying something new.

Never had a problem removing a FogCity shield.