Cleaning Helmet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
I have a two-year old helmet that is beginning to stink. Any ideas on how to clean it?

I remember seeing some posts (can't remember where, and yes I searched) that mentioned putting it in the dishwasher on a cold wash cycle; anyone try this?

A portion of the liner is removable and I've already taken them out and cleaned them, but the helmet still stinks. What can I do about the non-removable liner if the dishwasher idea is stupid (it sounds a little iffy to me)?

TIA

OCFJR does that. He says with success, too. My fear about the DW method is deterioration of the foam. I've been using Smell be Gone. Works well. After each, sweaty ride, I spray a few spritzes and my helmet comes up smelling like, well, helmet!

By the way, anyone know what happened to OC? Seems he's dropped off the radar...

I know mbottoms was talking about this during one of the dinners at EOM. If I remeber correctly, he said he did it with much success on his off-road enduro racing helmets, that he went through a couple of a year. The street helmet (a nice schuberth) he used he did NOT run through the dishwasher, for fear of foam degredation and the intricate internal affairs associated with a flip-face.

This is all from memory, and maybe he'll chime in.

It also helps to wash the liner frequently BEFORE you helmet gets funky. If you wash the liner often enough that it's cleaned before most of the grime works it's way into the main helmet, you won't develop bacteria in the main helmet as quickly.

You know........

maybe my sweat don't stink. ;)

I ride in 110+ freaking degrees in the summertime and sweat like a sumbitch. In 3 years, I have only washed my removeable liner once. My helmet just doesn't get that nasty. (Or my interpretation of nasty is different than most :eek: )

Why? Well, either my shit, er I mean, sweat don't stink, or perhaps its due to the helmet liner I use EVERY time I put on my helmet.

I really think the helmet liner is a must have. I use the satin Sliks liner and highly recommend it. It does reduce helmet hair and helmet itch, and makes putting on and removing the helmet easier also, especially with earbud speakers. It is a great thing for $15. Get one! Try it! Get one HERE and make sure you get the satin version. I tried the cheaper all cotton, and it didn't work as well.

Though I don't know for sure, I really feel the liner (which I throw into the washing machine regularly) is one of the reasons my helmet doesn't get too nasty.

So what are you waiting for?!?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
fabreeze....just a couple of spritzes after each ride....

1. Use some sort of liner (a do-rag or head silk) those can be easily washed more often.

2. Fabreeze

3. fabric softener sheets like you use in the dryer. Place them in the top of the helmet (1 at a time and not in the box). Your do-rag will separate you from it while keeping the helmet cling-free!

Bought some stuff from a vendo at the Honda Hoot a couple of years ago that seems to do OK on the cleaning of the inside of the helmet. It's called, Cycle Care, Formula 6. It is made specifically for, Helmet liners, & cloth & velour seats. I'm not affiliated with him or the company in anyway-I don't even remember which vendor I bought it from. You might give it a try. They probably sell it at most major M/C events. The plastic bottle I'm looking at now lists www.cyclecare.com & 1-800-728-7800 I haven't tried either so I can't say they are still valid. Good luck.

take a shower with the helmet and use shampoo to clean the inside liner. this worked on my old shoei.

Motorex makes a nice helmet liner cleaner, spray it on, work it in and towel off the excess.

My helmet foam is removeable so, easy cleaning.

As mentioned above, a light do-rag works well.

If you don't have speakers, put your helmet upside down and fill it with dishsoap and water. Let is soak.

Something that work's with sweat is Under Armour. I rarely go riding in the summer without Under Armour heat gear.

They have Skull Caps, and they may work well. I haven't tried them but there shirt and shorts are great.

You will still have to clean your helmet mind you.

The shorts help with monket butt. You can see/buy this stuff in many sport stores. You don't want a loose fit.

IMHO, YMMV

I have a HJC open face that has a non-removable liner. I just fill it with warm water and just a touch of dishwash detergent (sink type). Rinse well, let dry. No noticable effect on the foam, relatively hypo-allergenic (no itchy head, something I'm prone to).

I spray the inside with "Tuff Stuff" foaming carpet and car seat cleaner, available from auto parts stores.

Let it foam and soak for 30 seconds then wipe out inside with towel and then stuff the helmet full of newspaper so the paper will wick out the excess moisture.

Usually stuff the inside twice with paper before its pretty dry. Helmet smells good afterwards.

I've always used a small amount of laundry detergent in a bucket of warm water. Wash it in the tub with a small terrycloth cloth towel inside and out. Rinse it out thoroughly with running water and pat the inside lining with paper towels or a dry towel. Set the helmet aside for a couple days to let it dry out. Be sure to set it down top-side up so excess water will flow down from the inside while drying. It should smell good as new afterwards.

Thanks for all of the responses. Currently I don't use a skull cap, so I'll try that. And I'll try the dish soap in a bucket idea.

I have used the dishwasher treatment a couple of times with no known ill effect on the helmet. I do use the coolest setting and don't use the dishwasher soap (they all generally have bleach). I use a non sudding powder cleaner and have had good results.