clear Aluminum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobG

Reaction score
Aluminium oxynitride

This is interesting, right out of a Star Trek Movie. It would be nice to have this made into windshields for the bikes, or even cast it into an engine.

Bob

That's the stuff. Applications are semiconductors, armor, avaition and whale tanks ;) Figure on ~$15/sq. in. Expect a FJR windshield to cost between $5,000 and $6,000. Sure would make a fancy engine case or frame :)
Whew!

I just got light headed trying to figure out that the hell this stuff really is... :blink:

Looks cool though, I wonder if it is scratch proof? :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
Might shatter too easily from a rock (very stiff material). And THEN wouldn't you be crying? Otherwise sounds like awesome stuff.

Might shatter too easily from a rock (very stiff material). And THEN wouldn't you be crying? Otherwise sounds like awesome stuff.
Well, being armor piercing bullet proof (or at least highly resistant) I would be pretty disappointed if the windshield was taken out by a rock. Its hardness is near that of a sapphire making it virtually scratch proof.

Well, being armor piercing bullet proof (or at least highly resistant) I would be pretty disappointed if the windshield was taken out by a rock. Its hardness is near that of a sapphire making it virtually scratch proof.
Imagine the possibilities here...

The PERFECT sunglasses that will virtually last forever...

The PERFECT face shield for a helmet!

I can dig this stuff in about 5 years when this stuff comes down to earth in price!