CO2 Tire Inflator Cartridges -- Any risk from heat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiveG

Reaction score
I'm thinking of sticking some CO2 tire inflator cartridges (along with a tire plug device) under the seat in my FJR. Does anyone know whether those cartridges have any risk of rupture/explosion/whatever if they are left in that kind of environment (ie, possibly hot, certainly bumpy) for a long time?

My question is, how many CO2 cartridges does it take to fill up a flat or half flat rear tire? Wouldn't it be better to get a compact mini-compressor?

My question is, how many CO2 cartridges does it take to fill up a flat or half flat rear tire? Wouldn't it be better to get a compact mini-compressor?
The vendor (Genuine Innovations) says 2 of their 45 gram cartridges will inflate a motorcycle tire enough (30 psi) to get down the road to where you can do more. https://www.genuineinnovations.com/ultraflate-plus.html Hence, to me it's a small, light backup.

I have been carrying a Co2 inflation device on my bike for years with no problems. It has saved the day several times (usually for people I have found stuck along the side of the road). It may not take the place of an air compressor, but it's small, cheap and has it's place along side of my tool kit under the seat. I have found it impossible to inflate a tire to full pressure, but it will definitely get you moving till you can fix a tire properly.

Wouldn't leave home without it.

I carry both. Bike came with the progressive kit mit der CO2 inflators. They live under the seat. Also carry a Slime pump.

Never had a need for either (touch wood) but I have used the pump a number of times helping others out.

Like Bungie, I carry both... & cartridges have lived under my seat since '04 (& probably 55,000 to 60,000 miles) w/ no issues.

Does anyone know whether those cartridges have any risk of rupture/explosion/whatever if they are left in that kind of environment (ie, possibly hot, certainly bumpy) for a long time?

Isn't Co2 generally used in fire extinguishers to put out fires. Probably because it displaces oxygen and suffocates the fire. Those little cartridges are designed to hold at least double the psi than when filled to capacity. It doesn't seem very probably that they would or could burst just carrying them under your seat.

Do you carry a air compressor or Co2 in your car or truck? Probably not! Unless you are planning on riding off road hundreds of miles away from civilization, if you need a little air, stop at a gas station. In the 35+ years I've been riding street bikes, I've never had a flat. I have checked my air and added a bit now and then, but never a flat. I'm cursed now though, I'll surely get a flat next time out now!!

Does anyone know whether those cartridges have any risk of rupture/explosion/whatever if they are left in that kind of environment (ie, possibly hot, certainly bumpy) for a long time?
Any risk? Sure, there's ALWAYS risk. Taping them to your header or packing them in a baggy with a bunch of pointy carbide tipped tools....probably risky. Under your seat in a bag....probably not so much.

Well, at least the 100K I've had a half dozen of them either under my seat or in my sidebag hasn't produced any explosions yet. More importantly I haven't used a single one because the portable compressor is a much better option in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have some i've carried on 5 different bikes for over ten years. on smaller bikes they are the only option. i dual sported for a lot of years and carried a lot of things. like others i never had a flat but i helped out a lot of people with flats and other problems.

I carry several of them with my plug kit and a small compressor. They are mostly a back up in case the compressor doesn't work for some reason. I have carried a few for many years on my dirt bike. Never and issue with temperature or falling in the dirt.

Thanks, all. I've now placed 90 gr of CO2 under my seat. On that day when my Feejer decides to emulate the passenger seat of Bond's Aston Martin DB5 in Goldfinger, I'll send pics!

If they do get overpressurized, they won't explode, just blow a hole in the tip and vent.
Spoilsport! :angry2:

Sorry. They might explode, especially if you put them in an outer gas-tight container. Maybe a really thick-walled glass container with a stopper and crimp-cap for example. Exploding glass containers are great for causing damage.

Making things explode is sort of a hobby of mine.

My 12g cartridges have a printed upper temp limit of 120 deg F. Like others here, I have had them in my shiny black plastic bags in the summer heat of Palmdale, CA (read California high desert) without incident.

There is another item relating to CO2 that you might keep in mind. It has a different expansion characteristic than dry air does. It tends to increase its pressure MORE than air for the same increase in temperature ALL OTHER THINGS HELD THE SAME. Its ratio of specific heats is different...to be technical about it.

Also, when you fill your tire with CO2 from a cartridge, the initial gas temperature at fill is pretty low. If you fill it to the std riding pressure, you could seriously over pressure the tire once it gets up to riding temp. Here is some interesting data:

Comparing air vs. CO2:

Working gas: dry air

Fill temp: 90 deg F

Fill pressure: 40 psi

Running temp: 130 deg F

Resulting pressure: 45.0 psi

Process: polytropic w/ perfect gas using n = 2.5

Working gas: dry CO2

Fill temp: 50 deg F

Running temp: 130 deg

Resulting pressure: 51.0 psi <---- see this...be advised!!

Process: polytropic w/ perfect gas using n = 2.5

So anyway, keep the cold pressure down to somewhere between 30 & 35 psi during fill and replace with dry air when you get the chance. You might also want to recheck the pressure once everything has had a chance to stabilize thermally.

Cheers,

W2

Comparing air vs. CO2:
Working gas: dry air

Fill temp: 90 deg F

Running temp: 130 deg F

Resulting pressure: 45.0 psi

Process: polytropic perfect gas with n = 2.5

Working gas: dry CO2

Fill temp: 50 deg F

Running temp: 130 deg

Resulting pressure: 51.0 psi <---- see this...be advised!!

Process: polytropic perfect gas with n = 2.5

So anyway, keep the cold pressure down to somewhere between 30 & 35 psi during fill and replace with dry air when you get the chance. You might also want to recheck the pressure once everything has had a chance to stabilize thermally.

Cheers,

W2

W2.....This is an EXCELLENT point to ponder!

The community owes you a beer. :drinks: