Cogent/Ohlins Suspension Package

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
I have a friend that’s a big guy. He’s been riding for years and years and…

He owns four bikes including an ST and a FZ1. He’s been searching for performance suspension that doesn’t compromise the plush ride needed for touring. Here’s what he said after we took an hour test ride swapping bikes…

“Holy shit! There’s no way I would ever have believed it if you told me. I was sure you were somehow trying to justify the money spent, just like anyone would. But this takes suspension to a new order.”

A couple years ago I went on the hunt for the best price for an Ohlins rear shock. I never bought one, mostly because the more I learned the more frustrated I became. I’m very familiar with Ohlins quality and reputation from years in the dirt. But finding someone who could guarantee me an Ohlins setup for ME, the very first time, simply did not exist. Everyone had to sell me a shock, then turn around and re-spring, re-valve and charge for it all. I simply got pissed and gave up.

Rick Tannenbaum/Cogent Dynamics (www.motocd.com) has put together a special fork and suspension package for the FJR. It uses Ohlins pieces along with some special fork parts made by Cogent. Cogent is located in Hendersonville NC, which just happens to also be where Ohlins USA calls home. Cogent has a long relationship with Ohlins, RaceTech and several other vendors. But what truly sets them apart is their experience in custom suspension components, design, manufacturing and service.

It’s here where I need to point out that Rick is never satisfied with anything he does. That anal-retentive perfectionist approach to suspension is oddly tempered with a near total absence of ego. He really LOVES motorcycles and motorcycle suspension work. And he constantly searches for ways to improve even his best work.

Joyce is Rick’s wife and the organizational driving force of the business. Rick freely admits that without her he tends to sway aimlessly. She keeps Rick and the business on track and moving. They both are great people to deal with and it’s been my pleasure to work with them (and Ohlins) on the Cogent/Ohlins FJR project.

So let’s cut to the chase and give you the kind of straightforward answers you’ve come to expect from me.

Q.) What exactly is this suspension upgrade or package?

It’s a 25-mm cartridge assembly that replaces the stock springs, spacers, 20-mm OEM cartridge etc. Basically everything inside the fork gets replaced. The rear is the well-established and extremely successful Ohlins YA-707 shock for the FJR, with some spring and setting changes customized by Cogent Dynamics.

Q.) What makes HaulinAshe think it’s so special?

Performance suspension for the FJR is available from several sources nowadays. What sets the Cogent/Ohlins package apart from competitors is the retention of a truly plush ride for slabs and distance, along with a superb performance in tight twisties, with very little compromise in either extreme. Their suspension runs gnarly washboard gravel roads in 3rd gear with zero discomfort, hammers NC-28’s patched twisties like a GSXR, sweeps the Cherohala with symmetry and glide, and soaks up the concrete edges of I-40 all day long. Does that get wood?

Q.) How much does it cost?

The fork package is $1,100 and the Ohlins YA-707 rear shock with remote preload adjuster retails for $1,136. Cogent has agreed to do both as a FJR Group Buy opportunity for $2,000 even.

For those solo riders who rarely change their bike loading, the soon-to-be-available Ohlins YA-036 is the same shock WITHOUT remote preload and will be less expensive since it retails for $875. The FJR Group Buy price will be $1,800 for that setup.

Q.) Do I have to do both front and rear or can I step into it slowly?

Yes, you SHOULD upgrade both your front and rear suspension at the same time, or you will be wasting all my research, testing, and your money. The only thing worse than poor suspension is imbalanced suspension. The Cogent/Ohlins package won’t balance with stock/OEM on the opposite end. They simply will NOT play nicely together.

Q.) Can Cogent help me with other brands and setups?

Yes, Rick is well-seasoned with Penske, HyperPro, Wilbers and many others. If you already own an aftermarket suspension piece, he has one of the few computerized dyno setups in the USA and knows how to use it. Plus, a big part of our test project was to compile dyno results specifically for the FJR and various suspension setups. So the data is there to both predict results and make intelligent decisions before changing a thing.

Rick and I worked on my 2007 bike with the RaceTech package and managed to make some substantial improvements on that setup. Like most businesses, it’s the people supporting the products and services that make the real difference.

I’m proud of what we’ve accomplished with this project. Yes, I got mine at a special price in exchange for all the trailer trips hauling two FJRs across the state, the photos suggesting changes, measurements taken, evaluations recorded, and miles upon miles of test riding. Don’t you feel sorry for me now!!!???

Stay tuned for details on the Group Buy opportunity.

HA

Cogent/Ohlins 25mm FJR Fork Parts

Cogent25mmforkparts.jpg

Ohlins YA-707 Rear Shock w/Remote Adjustable Preload

OhlinsYA-707.jpg

Both my front and rear suspensions are due for rebuild/replacement. I planned on it being a winter project so this GB might just be the ticket for me. Much thanks for the work done and testing. I'll keep my eye peeled for the group buy announcement.

(Oooo.. just imagining what it must be like running the Hellbender without it wallowing and squirming around like a wildabeast)

To bad they are on the other side of the country, shipping will be deal killern for shipping the forks.

Thanks for the post and excellent information Jeff. Pretty spendy, but will be watching for the upcoming details...

--G

Wow... WOW!!

I need this.

I WANT this.

Please, please, pretty please Jeff, tell me this setup will be available for both generations of FJR? :unsure:

There are several brief answers needed to the above questions. I won't quote them all, but simply answer here.

* Shipping costs can be greatly improved by using the $50 plastic gun case from Wal-Mart and a commercial UPS account. I know most of you personally and might be willing to help you work that out, because I have access to a commercial UPS account. I'll also speak to Cogent about it.

* The forks package can be installed in Gen-I forks. However, the lower end of the inner fork tubes must be modified in a way that prohibits ever going back to stock. Once you install this setup in Gen-I forks, it's permanent. You cannot switch back to stock if the bike gets sold.

* I do hate my job like any good American these days. :) But R&D work on machines is something I truly love. Perhaps that will be my next job when I retire from newspapers in four years.

* The forks package can be installed in Gen-I forks. However, the lower end of the inner fork tubes must be modified in a way that prohibits ever going back to stock. Once you install this setup in Gen-I forks, it's permanent. You cannot switch back to stock if the bike gets sold.
Thanks Jeff. Revers-ability (or lack of) doesn't seem like a big deal to me. If one were to purchase another of the same bike, the forks (and shock) could be interchanged and the old bike sold with the new one's stock suspension. ;)

But what about the shock? Is it the right unit for both generations? I know that some of the shock linkage is different. Your validation work was all done with 2nd gens, what risk is there that the units would not work quite as successfully in a 1st gen? Any? Small? None?

Sorry to be a pest, but I'm sure others will have similar questions.

For anyone that may have doubts about Cogent/Rick, he's a big supporter and supplier over on the KLR650.net site. Many people over there have been very pleased with the shocks he has for the good ole KLR.

Rick

What are you telling me Jeff, sell the old Trident to fund my run with a faster lady habit?

I'm four years past due.

This sounds too good to be true.

Cake and eat it too?

All for a thousand times two?

Edit: that was pretty bad. This is not much better:

There once was a man with a GenII

A suspension upgrade was well past due

His solution seemed rash

An outlay of cash

To have cake and eat it too

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the pleasure of meeting and working with Rick several years ago when I had my 2001 Bandit 1200. I got a Penske Rear and RaceTech spring and valves up front. The setup was incredible. I was able to hang with Rick and a few other ex AMA guys at pace in the twisties in NC. When we got to the end of the road, Rick says well lookie who is up here with us!

It was a proud moment for me to be sure.

When I got my FJR I went back to Rick for another Penske. Again..great upgrade, but highlighted the deficiencies on the front end. I went with upgraded springs and oil for awhile, then I finally stepped up to an AK 20 kit from Traxxion. This of course is an unbelievable combo.

Had I been aware Rick was doing a front end for the FJR I would have gone with him in a sec. I'm sure the Cogent option is every bit as good my setup.

Good Luck to all who get this, enjoy the customer service and completely transformed steed.

I have an Ohlins rear, is just the front available for a Gen 1

Chris
YES

The front fork upgrade is available as a separate purchase if you already own an aftermarket rear shock. What I attempted to stress is that the Cogent/Ohlins front fork upgrade will NOT work with stock/OEM rear shock.

...But what about the shock? Is it the right unit for both generations? I know that some of the shock linkage is different. Your validation work was all done with 2nd gens, what risk is there that the units would not work quite as successfully in a 1st gen? Any? Small? None?

I can't answer that with 100% certainty. I know Ohlins will and I'll ask for you.

:)

...But what about the shock? Is it the right unit for both generations? I know that some of the shock linkage is different. Your validation work was all done with 2nd gens, what risk is there that the units would not work quite as successfully in a 1st gen? Any? Small? None?

I can't answer that with 100% certainty. I know Ohlins will and I'll ask for you.

:)
I'm going from memory here (I'm at home) but IIRC correctly, the Gen I shock part number is YA342 and it has a piggyback reservoir rather than the remote reservoir that the Gen II model uses. I'm pretty sure there is a slight difference in eye-to-eye length as well. No difference in performance, just a different design. The only problem that I know of for sure in trying to put a Gen II shock on a Gen I that has ABS. The YA342 comes with a large bracket for combining the ABS unit and the preloader unit master cylinder.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator: