cold condition fork leak?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking at feedback:

2004 ABS, 48,000 miles no problems.

I haven't had any fork problems. Last winter I changed the fork oil. I used Amsoil (blue in color)and even pumped and flushed with clean before refilling.

Afer it was put back together, sitting in the cool / cold garage during the Spring - very minimal riding. I noticed oil (oil like substance) on the right side of the wheel. Imagine the bike sitting on side stand, wheel turned left, and liquid running down the right fork tube and dripping on the inside of the rim. It was a bit red in color and only a few drops, nothing seemed oily up the fork. I assumed it dripped from the axle that I had placed red grease on reassembly.

Rode all Summer (hot in Pittsburgh) about 6000-7000 miles. When it got cool and sat in the garage I noticed it again.

Now I looked up the fork closer. It looks like it is coming from the place where the male goes into female fork.

The odd hing is that it is oilish colored. The Amsoil fork fluid is bright blue. No sign of blue. Not much volume at all

Could it be something else.

TIA

Darren

Sure, it could be most anything else.

Use a flat blade screwdriver or similar device to lift the dust seal up. Clean away any grim/grit/residue in that area and reseat the dust seal using a rubber hammer or similar non-marring device. Then see what shows up in a few days.

6-7 year old bike with 40,000 miles deserves a fork rebuild if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, it could be most anything else.

Use a flat blade screwdriver or similar device to lift the dust seal up. Clean away any grim/grit/residue in that area and reseat the dust seal using a rubber hammer or similar non-marring device. Then see what shows up in a few days.

6-7 year old bike with 40,000 miles deserves a fork rebuild if needed.
Take a liter soda bottle.

Cut a section out about an inch wide, 2 or 3 inches long.

Round off one end.

Take that end and push it in between the seal and the tube. Move it all around. 360 degrees...

If you still have a leak, check for rock pits on the tube.

Stone them smooth, and repeat...

If they still leak..

Then consider new seals...

Last edited by a moderator: