Color matching paint?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to the vendors section and see Garauld's thread on his custom racks. Or, CLICKY HERE.

Go to Garauld's profile and PM or email him. He seems to do a pretty good job of color matching and I bet he would be able to help you or point you in the right direction.

Under the FAQS column, tips and tricks has a paint code area. If you find a good match for the '03 silver, please post it in the paint code tips thread, if it's not already posted there. Thanks.

Tips and Tricks Paint codes

Glad I don't have the Cerculean Silver.....LOL The panel I bought is from an 05 and that paint looks IMPOSSIBLE to match. Pretty but hard to match from the way it looks.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. ColorRite sucks.

Good luck with that '03 paint match. Looking forward to hearing how yours turnes out. I finally gave up on my '04

Unless you are an experienced painter you may have difficulty matching the paint even if it is out of the same can. Two stage metallic base-coats can change tone and color if the reduction varies, or if the tip on the gun is not correct of even if the air pressure is not right on. In addition to this, LPHV guns, siphon, and gravity feed guns will also give variations in metallic color. The particles which create the color of metallic paint can end up more or less concentrated and all these factors change it noticeably. This is why most all paint shops blend the color onto adjacent panels when they do repair work on your car. Practice with the clear coat. You can get a nice dust free finish with small parts but you must be familiar with the speed of the reducer and catalyst you are using. Humidity and temp will also play. If you screw up the top coat bad enough you may need new plastic due to the difficulty of stripping plastic. I have paint equipment and still just buy a new part if something gets scratched. If you have had a crash and enough parts are effected then repainting may be a fun option because you can pick your own unique color and due the whole bike. Someone will always buy your old scratched part and you can use it toward the cost of the new replacement. This may cost less than buying all the paint supplies and look better in the end.

I know I have seen reference to matching paint for the 03 bright silver but, as usual, I cannot seem to find it anywhere searching.
I need to paint several pieces of the bodywork and wondered what has been the color matching paint anyone has used. I have several Duplicolor spray cans of similar silver that I have used for brackets and such but none match the bodywork well enough to paint an ajacent panel.

Any ideas...??
I've had good results with Color Rite. A little pricey though!

https://www.colorrite.com/CRPLmanYear.php?t...a5732a429f2c2fa

jestal,

I just assumed these parts were readily available because I no problem finding misc painted parts for my R1. Perhaps the FJR stuff is a little more scares. Good luck with your paint work. Let me know how you liked the materials you bought.

Thanks,

Tom :moil:

jestal,I just assumed these parts were readily available because I no problem finding misc painted parts for my R1. Perhaps the FJR stuff is a little more scares. Good luck with your paint work. Let me know how you liked the materials you bought.

Thanks,

Tom :moil:
Parts are readily available painted from the factory.

I just want to use an 04 fairing part on my 03. The parts are physically different so they are not "interchangable" (which is why I want the 04 part) so the part I want is not available in the 03 bright silver color.
So your putting in a glove box huh!