communicator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

818Guy

Reaction score
I have no clue on what is "good" or "bad" when it comes to communicators.

I liked something simple for my GF and I to use while riding together.

It does not need to be wireless, but I would like it to run off batteries (not the bike's) if possible. We do not mind being tethered.

We both have full face helmets.

Any suggestion/advice? Thanks.

Thanks... was just reading it.

I should also clarify: when I mean the bike's battery, I do not want to have to tap into the wiring. I don't mind using the 12v plug in the "dash".

HJC Chatterbox GMRS-X1

I own two. Have owned several others within the past eight months.

* Range is not nearly five miles, but it is good.

* Battery life is excellent on one charge. I carry a spare battery but seldom use it.

* Unit is water resistant, but for heavy rain you will need to slip a bag over it.

* Helmet clamp is crap IMHO. Use the outer half only and glue it to your helmet with black silicone. Makes a very firm and dependable setup. You can purchase extra clamps if you need them for $5 each.

* Sound quality is excellent, especially compared to some other units like the Collet, which is by the way, mono. They just don't tell you that!

I have a simple cable mod that matches the output from your radar detector to the cell input on the Chatterbox. If you can handle soldering an audio cable it can be done for $4 of parts from Radio Shack. I like it better than mixers because it overrides extremely well and cannot be missed.

PM me if you want to know more.

Me, I'm waiting on A2DP Bluetooth to settle in. Then you can buy one of my Chatterboxes used!

:)

I have been through three com units and can recommend Autocom based on much frustration and experience.

Before you decide, call Keith Goudelock (pr. Godlock) at Tulsa Truck Center 918.446.2245 and ask him what's best for your situation. He is the master who will lead you to enlightenment, and cut you a deal at the same time.

Thanks everyone.

We're hoping to find a communicator that does not need to be mounted to the outside of the helmet. Looking for something that just clips to a belt or can be held in a jacket pocket. We undertand the ear pieces and mic will have to be installed inside the helmets.

I have used motocom with motorola radio and it worked fine. BTW. I have few of thier units still in packaging never used, long story why. They include speaker, mic, ptt for the full face helmet. I paid a bit over 50 for each set. Will let them go for 30 including shipping if anyone interested.

Now I use scala bluetooth for my cell phone. Considering that it has mp3 in it, it is great. Traveling at 80mph people can't tell that I am on the bike. Not that I advertise anyone riding and talking. But when you are on a multi day trip and wife wants to make sure that you are not coming home just yet :D it is great to be able to answer the phone and say you are still days away. :D

I have used motocom with motorola radio and it worked fine. BTW. I have few of thier units still in packaging never used, long story why. They include speaker, mic, ptt for the full face helmet. I paid a bit over 50 for each set. Will let them go for 30 including shipping if anyone interested.
Okay, I'm confused. Motocomm's website has the system for $190 and you have them for $30 ???

What am I missing?

https://www.rflimited.com/Site.asp?CID=3

on the left side, bottom: RiderLink ST-1.

What are you talking about?

To clarify. I have https://www.rflimited.com/Site.asp?CID=3 MC-552 model. Few of those. Some have never been opened and at least one that was used once or twice. On the web side they are listed at 59 bucks. If you like and if it makes you feel any better I can sell them to you for more :D You have to realize that it would break my heart, but what one would not do for a fella FJR rider. :D :D :D

HJC Chatterbox comes with a belt clip. You will need the headset extension cord to give you enough cable to reach from the helmet/headset to your back pocket, belt etc.

It is NOT a requirement to attach it to the helmet.

If you use one Chatterbox unit with the extension cord (wired) to your passenger, then it does BOTH VOX and full-duplex. Either of you can activate your mic via the adjustable VOX setting and both of you can speak freely back and forth, even simultaneously, while the VOX is activated.

Same thing applies to PushToTalk (PTT). Either rider or passenger presses the PTT and both can speak freely. I use this mode sometimes when I am wired to the passenger. I give the PTT cord to the passenger and set the VOX for myself. Let's me concentrate on the road without having to PTT. Allows the passenger to PTT whenever they want without really understanding VOX.

IMHO, VOX is a learned art. I know how to "burp" into the mic first to break the squelch and then say my piece. Newbies (or my kids) don't get the hang of VOX very well. They like the PTT button.

Of course, all this only applies to being wired to the passenger. I bought two units and use them both most of the time. I HATE WIRES. Did I remember to tell you, I HATE WIRES. Oh, I HATE WIRES!

:D