Compact Nautilus horn alternate install locations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't belive there's enough room UNDER the fairing to mount the complete horn. That's why I came up with the idea to split the two pieces. The hardest part of the whole thing was fabricating the proper brackets that allow the most clearance for the forks. Once I got past that, the rest was cake.

I'm also very surprised no one had chimed in by now in regards to pics I posted on the install. I've gotten tons of emails form people asking when I'm going to do this job, and now no one seems to care.

Strange....

-I couldn't find any room under the fairing either; (had all the panels off for various electrical farkles a few months ago) even considered the area ahead of the rear wheel; it would have been close to fitting there, but I was worried about clearance that the horn might strike the swingarm when the rear shock was under a big load/compression; not to mention what you would have to remove/reinstall to get it in there. The only way to get it to mount up front would be to allow the trumpet positioned as a 'scoop' to the elements; not acceptable for me; I did look for a different air horn, one with a remote compressor, (that was still compact) but had no success; ended up with the magnum blasters (the Napa version) At 135dB, though they sound great. Saw your other thread Randy; great job on the 'separation fabrication'...

FJRandy, your install does look clean, and I'm sure lots of folks will get out the saw, Dremel, and files and get to work on duplicating it. I was sorta hoping to avoid that route, and wondering if someone had come up with an "under the fairing alternative" though. Since you have had both horns, would you say that an under the fairing location would be possible with the Magnum Blasters? Are they enough smaller to allow us to find an alternate location? I'm willing to take a hit on maximum sound in order to hide them and make the install easier. The stock horns are simply too wimpy to be of any use in the "real world". This question sorta hijacks the orginal thread, but then I started it........