Concerned about tire wear pattern

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichieTwo

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, my, I would change those right now. If they aren't brand new they need to be changed.

Yup, normal. It's due in part to the dual compound technology. The way to look at it is: if you didn't have the harder rubber section in the middle, by right about now those would be down to the cords there, and you'd be throwing them out.

I'll go with the majority opinion and ride more, stress less. Although I thought the softer rubber was just on the outer 1.5 inches or so on the RP 2. Thanks guys.

Typical wear pattern for the front and rear. I am getting between 13,000-14,000 mile on the PR2 with the front tire wearing out before the rear. I am on my 3rd FJR ('03, '07, '11) and the Gen 2 bikes wear the front tire out first for my style of riding. I typically run 40-42 psig front and 42-44 psig rear. The original Bridgestones were gone at 7500 miles. I have relatives in Spring Lake.

Typical wear pattern for the front and rear. I am getting between 13,000-14,000 mile on the PR2 with the front tire wearing out before the rear. I am on my 3rd FJR ('03, '07, '11) and the Gen 2 bikes wear the front tire out first for my style of riding. I typically run 40-42 psig front and 42-44 psig rear. The original Bridgestones were gone at 7500 miles. I have relatives in Spring Lake.
Thanks Millsaps2. I spend a lot of time in Spring Lake doing Patriot Guard missions.

I'll go with the majority opinion and ride more, stress less. Although I thought the softer rubber was just on the outer 1.5 inches or so on the RP 2. Thanks guys.

More like the opposite, in my experience. You always get about a 1.5-2" stripe of raised rubber, right in the middle. And an even thinner stripe down the middle of the front.

BTW - I've never got more than ~9k out of a rear and 11k out of a front. You Mileage May Vary Wildly

Last edited by a moderator:

More like the opposite, in my experience. You always get about a 1.5-2" stripe of raised rubber, right in the middle. And an even thinner stripe down the middle of the front.

BTW - I've never got more than ~9k out of a rear and 11k out of a front. You Mileage May Vary Wildly
Most of my miles use to be open road and flat land (Okahoma and interstates). I live in NC now and spend a lot more time on curves. So it's a different wear pattern. But I can live with it.

I'd change them now.......I mean....yer endangering children and stuff. Change those tyres..........

The rear doesn't look like a PR2 to me. Do PR(1)s have the dual compound? As said, that front looks pretty normal. FWIW I get about 12-13K out of the PR2 front.