• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Concourse or FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgvet

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2001 Concourse with 2400 miles; Rifle windshield; jet kits installed; risers; and gel seat for $4000

or

A 2007 FJR 17000miles for $8500

They both seem like good deals and I know the Concourse is older, but what do you think?

Many of us who own FJRs came from the Connie ranks. When I was converting to sport-touring from my old cruiser I bought a used Concours. It was a great bike for its purpose and assured me that this type of motorcycling is exactly what I was looking for.

The Connie is a great bike if "budget" is your chief concern. Maintenance is fairly simple (you can adjust the valves yourself) though oil changes are much more difficult than the FJR. I loved my Connie but there is no comparison between the two.

Yes, the technology is that improved between the two bikes. Much more power, torque is readily available on the FJR, oil changes are a 20 minute chore (the lower body work has to come off the Connie to change the filter), better brakes, and my FJR is cooler in the heat than my Connie was.

The Connie fairing would trap more engine heat and, because of the size of the fairing, it would hold the heat longer once under way. My FJR will cool to ambient in 1/4 mile where the Connie would hold the Summer heat for nearly 2 miles. I realize this is subjective and could be personal to me.

When I still had both bikes and would change to the Connie I would wonder, "Where's the power?" and "Where are the brakes?" That's not to say the Connie isn't capable, it is to say that the FJR is that much better for me.

Again I state, the Connie is a great bike and for its price point it is a wonderful ride. Given the choice I would agree with eddie, the FJR is really that much more.

Either way, enjoy your new ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned an '01 Connie for 6 years and have owned an '06 FJR for a couple of months.

First off the 4K for the '01 is way too much money, even if it's mint. I sold my perfect condition '01 for $3800 2 years ago.

There is no comparison between the Connie and the FJR. If you're on a tight budget and absolutely cannot afford the FJR then buy the Connie (after getting a lower price). The Connie is a GREAT bike and it'll put a smile on your face, I thought it was the perfect bike and thought I'd keep it forever (then i bought the Wee strom and the Connie went away) BUT......

The FJR is orders of magnitude better!!!!! They are not even on the same planet when it comes to power, brakes or suspension. If you never rode them back to back you would be happy with the Connie, if you could ride them back to back the choice would be VERY CLEAR on which to buy.

I have owned my 2006 Concours since April 06 and just purchased an 08 FJR about a week ago. As roger123 said, if you can ride them back to back your answer will be immediate. The Connie is a nice motorcycle and has served me well but the FJR is definately the superior motorcycle.

If you commute you will find yourself shifting ALOT with the Connie. The six speed can be nice but the ratios are close. Combined with very little low rpm torque compared to the FJR, shifting is constant. The torgue of the FJR comes in at very low rpm's compared to my Connie. The Concours really has no get up a go until around 6000rpm, once over 6000 it takes off but still nowhere close to the power of the FJR.

Another thing you may need to consider is weight, particularly up high. With the Concous tank full with 7.5 gallons it is much more top heavy than the FJR. You get use to it but if you have shorter legs it is something to consider.

Bottom line, knowing what I know today I would not hesitate to go with the FJR.

I just hope I remember the Concours has a clutch lever the next time I ride it. Going from one to the other might be interesting. :blink:

Greg

I changed from an 01 connie to a 04 fjr in jan. First interstate ride I thought I may have made a mistake, then I got to the twisties an WOW what a differance! Larger screen, hwy pegs and risers greatly improved the long haul comfort and I have no regrets at all now! (and duke is enjoying the fjr too!)

Well I found a 07 with 8500 miles for $7400. Told him I'll have the money tomorrow. Can't wait!

Many of us who own FJRs came from the Connie ranks. When I was converting to sport-touring from my old cruiser I bought a used Concours. It was a great bike for its purpose and assured me that this type of motorcycling is exactly what I was looking for.
The Connie is a great bike if "budget" is your chief concern. Maintenance is fairly simple (you can adjust the valves yourself) though oil changes are much more difficult than the FJR. I loved my Connie but there is no comparison between the two.

Yes, the technology is that improved between the two bikes. Much more power, torque is readily available on the FJR, oil changes are a 20 minute chore (the lower body work has to come off the Connie to change the filter), better brakes, and my FJR is cooler in the heat than my Connie was.

The Connie fairing would trap more engine heat and, because of the size of the fairing, it would hold the heat longer once under way. My FJR will cool to ambient in 1/4 mile where the Connie would hold the Summer heat for nearly 2 miles. I realize this is subjective and could be personal to me.

When I still had both bikes and would change to the Connie I would wonder, "Where's the power?" and "Where are the brakes?" That's not to say the Connie isn't capable, it is to say that the FJR is that much better for me.

Again I state, the Connie is a great bike and for its price point it is a wonderful ride. Given the choice I would agree with eddie, the FJR is really that much more.

Either way, enjoy your new ride.
The connie lower fairing could be modified very easily so you didnt have to remove it to change the oil. I rode mine way too much to go thru removing the fairing to change the oil. it was a hot machine in the summer. Bad head wobble in dirty air. Odd dated tire size make then tire chioces very limited. Dont get me wrong, i rode the wheels of my 2002 connie I had. but its not the same bike as the FJR. My brother in law sold his 2001 and bought a ST1300, Everytime we ride together he says he wishes he had gotten an FJR...

Well I found a 07 with 8500 miles for $7400. Told him I'll have the money tomorrow. Can't wait!
Great choice!
Let us know how you like it.... when you have time to get off the bike and stop smiling from ear to ear.
I came from an 00 ST1100 to an 06 FJR. no comparison.. FJR $7,500, miles of smiles...PRICELESS... congrats

I within the last two years have had 3- bikes trying to find my way. First was a 01 Connie., 2nd was a 01 Roadstar.

The Connie offered pretty good wind protect, but dang was it top heavy, and hot too. Lots of farkles, loyal following. Great bike for the price... old school, and I too bought mine for $4.K, and sold it for same.

For the price you can't beat a Connie. I bought my 05 FJR for $7.k and it's a whole lot of bike for that price too. Consider throwing more money in the hat and get a FJR, you won't think twice once you did.

Buck

Dls.TX