Confession of a "near" traitor....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty141

My name is Smitty.. And I have a motorcycle proble
Reaction score
It has been almost six weeks since I road my FJR. I have been enjoying my other bikes...07 KLR 650, and my newest speed demon 06 Honda CBR 1000rr. As a few know I have been sitting on the fence on selling the FJR. My thinking is I really don't tour, and the CBR if fine for 400+ mile days. It also satisfies my need for speed. The KLR lets me play on fire/two track/gravel roads at a slower pace with some dirt in my face.

Well today after a long absence off my FJR ,I thought I would take it out for a breakfast ride. Well ladies and gents it didn't take a few miles to remind me this is the best all around bike on the planet today. I know there my be others that are very comparable..but if I could only have one it would be my FJR.

The morale to this story is... If your thinking your FJR is getting a little stale, park it in the back of your garage for a month or two without riding it. After the time passes, fire that bad boy up and go for a ride. Hopefully you will come to your senses, and realize you have the best bike on the planet.

Smitty :rolleyes:

Glad that it put a smile back on your face.

"Near" traitor or not...if you ever plan a ride again...count me in! :clapping: :clapping:

See you at EOM. :yahoo:

"Luke, ...I am your father!..."

Resisted the temptation have you, Hmmm...honorable!

Smitty,Glad you came to your senses,if you left this forum we'd all be losing a valuable technical asset ( you).

I did my steering head bearings last week with your assistance and really appreciated your writeup.

Thats great news! However....

I had a buyer for your FJR, But i would rather see you keep it! :clapping:

I've only put 1500 KMs on mine, but I'm still amazed with it. Its the heaviest bike I've owned and yet the easiest to ride. Outright amazing bike.

There's actually one more piece to Smitty's story that he doesn't know. I was suffering from boredom with my FJR because all I do is commute. I had started comtemplating selling it and getting something sportier and cheaper since commuting is 99% of my riding. I hadn't done any pleasure cruising since SFO and it was definitely getting to me. So on a whim, I was perusing the for sale items on here. Ran across Smitty's HIDs he was selling. I got a very cool farkle for a very very good price! It made me wonder if he was thinking of selling his FJR.

Well getting those HIDs installed changed everything again. It amazed me how easy it was to get excited about the bike again. Just throw some dough into the fun stuff and presto! I still haven't been able to get any pleasure cruising in, but my commute home is in the dark and those lights are so damn cool!! Getting some better visibility at night has been on my mind for awhile and this completely solved the issue. So now I'm back in the FJR zone, and have also found some used hiway pegs which should hopefully help my knees out for longer trips. I thought I was done farkling my bike, but now I see. I'll never be done. There will always be something else to get!

Thanks Smitty for going through what you did, which saved me from some serious decision making. I'm glad you found your way back too!!

Don't take Smitty TOO seriously. He's had, what, 4 FJRs? And I understand it that he's owned as many as NINE bikes at a time. He's not hurting for diversity on two wheels, that's for sure. And Smitty changes bikes like some of you change your drawers.

Nice to know that he comes back again... and again... to our faithful steed.

Just don't sell that CBR1KRR until I get a chance to ride it!

(Wonder which bike he's taking to EOM??!?)

There's actually one more piece to Smitty's story that he doesn't know. I was suffering from boredom with my FJR because all I do is commute. I had started comtemplating selling it and getting something sportier and cheaper since commuting is 99% of my riding. I hadn't done any pleasure cruising since SFO and it was definitely getting to me. So on a whim, I was perusing the for sale items on here. Ran across Smitty's HIDs he was selling. I got a very cool farkle for a very very good price! It made me wonder if he was thinking of selling his FJR.
Well getting those HIDs installed changed everything again. It amazed me how easy it was to get excited about the bike again. Just throw some dough into the fun stuff and presto! I still haven't been able to get any pleasure cruising in, but my commute home is in the dark and those lights are so damn cool!! Getting some better visibility at night has been on my mind for awhile and this completely solved the issue. So now I'm back in the FJR zone, and have also found some used hiway pegs which should hopefully help my knees out for longer trips. I thought I was done farkling my bike, but now I see. I'll never be done. There will always be something else to get!

Thanks Smitty for going through what you did, which saved me from some serious decision making. I'm glad you found your way back too!!
Blasphemy I say! Selling the FJR?!!!!!! I need to get you out for a very strong drink and get your mind right. :p Sounds like you may be back to normal now though. I need some new farkles for my bike. Maybe that will make me feel better about riding in the 100+ degree weather.

GP

Blasphemy I say! Selling the FJR?!!!!!! I need to get you out for a very strong drink and get your mind right. :p Sounds like you may be back to normal now though. I need some new farkles for my bike. Maybe that will make me feel better about riding in the 100+ degree weather.

GP
dude! there's nothing that feels good about this heat. hoping for some relief by the weekend though. and yeah, WFO help set me straight too. lemme know what your weekend looks like.

That is exactly what happens to me. I have a fz6 that is a blast around town but with the stock seat anything over 3 hours is a killer. So i wonder why i have the fjr until i ride it and then it all comes back. What a truly wonderful machine. One of these days I may make it out to see smitty and get some of those farkles installed(cc).

One of the reasons I bought a futura instead of a fjr then was the sportiness of the smaller bike. I am looking again but I haven't been able to ride one. How much if a "sport" tourer is it?