confused about Givi mounting racks!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshane

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Looking at websites for Givi trunks I can never figure out what else I'll need to mount it on my 09. B) Will a universal rack work or is there a specific part number I need? Looking to get the E46 or the 36. Any help with numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave in rainy Massachusetts.

Hello Everyone,Looking at websites for Givi trunks I can never figure out what else I'll need to mount it on my 09. B) Will a universal rack work or is there a specific part number I need? Looking to get the E46 or the 36. Any help with numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

The rack is a Givi 357 and the mounting plate is a M5

Hello Everyone,Looking at websites for Givi trunks I can never figure out what else I'll need to mount it on my 09. B) Will a universal rack work or is there a specific part number I need? Looking to get the E46 or the 36. Any help with numbers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Call Anthony at Givi 877-679-4484 for the definitive answers. I have an 07 and just bought the E228M. Haven't got it yet and done the installation but am told it mounts the the rear rack and the top case goes right on to that. No need for anything bigger or more extensive.

Dave I'm glad you asked the question....I too am confused as to what I'll need to mount a box to the back (I want the same one you do). It seems that I have seen pics on this forum of some Givi boxes that seem to sit right on the rack and other seem to stick up quite high from the bike?????? I would prefer to mount mine very close to the rack. I'll be paying attention to this tread. BTW I sent Givi and email yesterday so maybe I'll be able to add something when they respond.

Dave I'm glad you asked the question....I too am confused as to what I'll need to mount a box to the back (I want the same one you do). It seems that I have seen pics on this forum of some Givi boxes that seem to sit right on the rack and other seem to stick up quite high from the bike?????? I would prefer to mount mine very close to the rack. I'll be paying attention to this tread. BTW I sent Givi and email yesterday so maybe I'll be able to add something when they respond.
(For GenII anyway) the SR357 replaces the OEM rack (including the part with the grab rails) and provides a higher load limit, the E228M is a plate that mounts on the OEM rack with a lower load limit.

(For GenII anyway) the SR357 replaces the OEM rack (including the part with the grab rails) and provides a higher load limit, the E228M is a plate that mounts on the OEM rack with a lower load limit.
Thank you for that clarification. So does one sit higher than the other ?

There are losts of posts on the Givi mount issue on this board. Use Google search to help find them use site:fjrforum.com

I had an original Givi mount on my Concours. For the FJR, I went with the https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Yam...6_09_s/4972.htm, specifically https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Top.../pcabp10028.htm. note - you need to get the Top Box Mounting kit while you are it (not included).

I have the v46 with backrest

As I posted elsewhere, yes, the PCA with its fewer mounting points further back, is not as sturdy as the Givi mount should be, but the PCA mount is far better looking and I've ridden too quickly on the Lost Coast loop (60 mile loop of REALLY bad road south of Ferndale, CA) with a loaded trunk with no issue. I've now had my setup for 1 yr, 15k miles, and the Givi PCA mount is rock solid and I think the Givi mount doesn't look good.

And the PCA mount definitely will sit lower than anything else

Last edited by a moderator:
There are losts of posts on the Givi mount issue on this board. Use Google search to help find them use site:fjrforum.com
I had an original Givi mount on my Concours. For the FJR, I went with the https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Yam...6_09_s/4972.htm, specifically https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Top.../pcabp10028.htm. note - you need to get the Top Box Mounting kit while you are it (not included).

As I posted elsewhere, yes, the PCA with its fewer mounting points further back, is not as sturdy as the Givi mount should be, but the PCA mount is far better looking and I've ridden too quickly on the Lost Coast loop (60 mile loop of REALLY bad road south of Ferndale, CA) with a loaded trunk with no issue. I've now had my setup for 1 yr, 15k miles, and the Givi PCA mount is rock solid and I think the Givi mount doesn't look good.

Another vote for the PCA rack and mount kit. The best option IMO. Box sits flush with the rack, which mounts low on the bike.

Another vote for the PCA rack and mount kit. The best option IMO. Box sits flush with the rack, which mounts low on the bike.
And another vote for the PCA mount. I went with it because it's lower than the GIVI mount, and I believe it's a little more forward too. But not too far forward, so my wife/sister is not cramped. :thumbsupsmiley:

I feel your pain, it took me 1 minute to pick out a top case, and I spent a couple weeks trying to figure out how to mount the damn thing! There's lots of great advise on this forum for different mounting options. I'd link ya to 'em if I knew how.

Good luck,

I have to vote against the PCA mount. Not because of what you get from PCA, but due to the really bad FJR rack. I have twice broken the OEM rack (as have many others on this forum), the last time after three weeks carrying only an empty Givi top case. My next purchase will be for the Givi SR357 metal rack to replace the Yamaha piece.

Will the PCA rack mount to the gerauld rack I have??
PCA has a number of different mounts. The one I have and recommended mounts directly onto the FJR (unscrew 3 stock bolts, drop onto plate, re-install bolts)

If you have what I'm thinking of (large wide flat plate), then no. For that, all you really need is the Givi Mount kit ($18) and to drill the holes in the plate (in EXACTLY the right place)

My recommendation if you are thinking of going this route (adding the 3 pieces neccessary to mount the Givi on any flate plate) is to ask for someone local with the PCA mount for assistance and meet u pwith them and take VERY detailed measurements. Best if your pillion was with you to ge ta sense front/back positioning, etc.

I have a question and a word of caution regarding mounting the top box, whether Givi or stock. Has anyone ever broken the rear frame near the point under the seat where the three screws for the rack are attached?

I was using the PCA mount with a Givi box and have broken two OEM racks/grab rails. When removing the second broken rack, I noticed that the rear frame itself had broken under the seat. I have never carried much in that box - maybe a briefcase or computer. And the last rack broke when the Givi box was empty. That rear frame part doesn't look easy to replace, and costs around $700! I can't believe the frame is that delicate on a bike meant to tour.

As someone who wants the touring aspect of this otherwise great sports tourer, I have to admit I'm looking at repairing then selling the FJR. I can't risk this happening again and ending up with another repair bill.