Connect Garmin power cord to battery tender plug?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
Ok, so I got the bright idea of putting an SAE splice in the auto(cig lighter) plug so I can connect my 2720 directly to the battery tender plug and still use the cord in the cage. Only problem is; there's 6 friken wires in the power cord! Red, black, white, brown, green, and orange. Can this be done or should I just buy the motorcycle specific cord and have another wire I have to tuck in somewhere when not in use? TIA.

Ok, so I got the bright idea of putting an SAE splice in the auto(cig lighter) plug so I can connect my 2720 directly to the battery tender plug and still use the cord in the cage. Only problem is; there's 6 friken wires in the power cord! Red, black, white, brown, green, and orange. Can this be done or should I just buy the motorcycle specific cord and have another wire I have to tuck in somewhere when not in use? TIA.
Surely, it can be done. Some of the wires are for the sound signal, I think. I have mine connected to a Powerlet socket, and that was store-bought, but if it can be powered by 12V, it can be done. I did exactly this with my old Garmin GPSMap 60C, because I like the SAE connectors much more than the lighter jacks.

I would (carefully) connect the original lighter jack into a live lighter socket and test the wire ends with a voltmeter to find the 12V+/G wires. My guess is red and black, respectively. :)

-Dan

Umm. I think the Garmin cigarette plugs have a 12 to 5 volt converter built-in. So running 12v direct will likely fry it.

Umm. I think the Garmin cigarette plugs have a 12 to 5 volt converter built-in. So running 12v direct will likely fry it.
My thinking too! most of these devices run on 5V, the voltage provided by a USB computer connection. If you can charge your GPS over USB, it's running at 5V!

On that note, I'm looking at adding a 12V to 5V transformer (is that the technically correct term?) and a couple of USB sockets to the dash. That'll make it real easy since USB cables are a dime a dozen.

I did it on my Garmin Nuvi780, no issues, no converters.

I hooked my cig lighter cable to the Battery tender style plug. Fuse is 1amp. I had no issues with hooking it all up.

IIRC I first did a continuity check for the ground and hot to the plug itself. I hooked the cable to the cradle, counted the little contacts etc (on the cradle connector that attaches to the Nuvi) and then cut it and found the wires that went to those contacts again (I believe they were red and black for me, but CHECK). BAM! The ugly part was using fitting the splices to such small wires, it's all good though. I've used my Garmin now for about 25+ hours on the bike with no issues.

PM me if you want more detail.

***EDIT***

Italics are edits, above and below...

I used the hook up thru my cradle, NOT a USB.

Also I purchased an after market Nuvi700 series cig cable adapter online.

IIRC there were only two wires, red and black. Now it's coming back to me... I did all this checking then gently cut into the insulation to expose the internal power wires and there were only two. I also took apart my cig lighter, male end, and it had NO eletronics in it, nothing inline either.

I do NOT know about the 2720 unit though.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Garmin motorcycle specific hook up directly to the battery doesn't have any converter, plus it has no battery and if you want to use it in side, it came with a wall plug for 12 volt.

Surely, it can be done. Some of the wires are for the sound signal, I think. I have mine connected to a Powerlet socket, and that was store-bought, but if it can be powered by 12V, it can be done. I did exactly this with my old Garmin GPSMap 60C, because I like the SAE connectors much more than the lighter jacks.

I would (carefully) connect the original lighter jack into a live lighter socket and test the wire ends with a voltmeter to find the 12V+/G wires. My guess is red and black, respectively. :)

-Dan
That's what I was thinking...but 4 wires for the speaker? Anyway, how do you check for the ground wire?

I did it on my Garmin Nuvi780, no issues, no converters.
I hooked my cig lighter cable to the Battery tender style plug. Fuse is 1amp. I had no issues with hooking it all up.

IIRC I first did a continuity check for the ground and hot to the plug itself. I counted the little contacts etc and then cut it and found the wires that went to those contacts again (I believe they were red and black for me, but CHECK). BAM! The ugly part was using fitting the splices to such small wires, it's all good though. I've used my Garmin now for about 25+ hours on the bike with no issues.

PM me if you want more detail.
Sounds good, I just might be sending you a PM. Thanks!

I just ran the battery tender to a two hole cigarette lighter that I put in the glovebox. Plugged the lighter cord to the garmin in, out the same hole and to the Garmin. Use the other for charging phones, Ipod or whatever.

I just ran the battery tender to a two hole cigarette lighter that I put in the glovebox. Plugged the lighter cord to the garmin in, out the same hole and to the Garmin. Use the other for charging phones, Ipod or whatever.
Yeah, I could just plug it in the cig lighter plug in the glovebox (06 model), but I can't shut the lid and the speaker isn't waterproof. I also want to shorten the cord about 2-3 feet and just plug it in the battery tender lead right there by the steering head. That way I thought I could just put an SAE splice in the Garmin cord and use it on the bike and in the car with the speaker, but with 6 wires, that won't float.

Yeah, I could just plug it in the cig lighter plug in the glovebox (06 model), but I can't shut the lid and the speaker isn't waterproof. I also want to shorten the cord about 2-3 feet and just plug it in the battery tender lead right there by the steering head. That way I thought I could just put an SAE splice in the Garmin cord and use it on the bike and in the car with the speaker, but with 6 wires, that won't float.
On my 09 there is a rubber grommet at the bottom of the glove box that I removed and run the wire out of the bottom of the box to my NUVI 255W I cover the hole at the bottom from the inside with a piece of duct tape (temp set up) but works fine so far. :D

Found a great little ciggy plug adapter at Wallie World that provides two USB plugs and two ciggy plugs. The USB plugs provide 5v and it has a 3 amp fuse in it. That's what I use in my tank bag. Havent tried to fit it into the glove box but it might fit.

Found a great little ciggy plug adapter at Wallie World that provides two USB plugs and two ciggy plugs. The USB plugs provide 5v and it has a 3 amp fuse in it. That's what I use in my tank bag. Havent tried to fit it into the glove box but it might fit.
Now that could come in handy, the Gopro HD camera charges by USB. I see a trip to Wallyworld in my future. Thanks for the info!

One more ? The battery tender lead has a 15 amp fuse, would a 5 amp be too much for the GPS?
The fuse is intended to protect the device, the battery, and the rest of the bike from a short... but mostly the battery and the rest of the bike. An unfused short will wreak havoc quickly... which is why your fuse should be as close to the battery as possible.

You should fuse for your maximum expected amperage draw across the circuit... with a little bit of a safety margin...

Every garmin gps is different- some run on one specific voltage others can handle a wide range. My 376C can take up to 24 volts. The 2720 is designed specifically for 12 v, with a max of 13.8. You kind find this info in the Appendix to the Owners Manual. The 2720 cig lighter has a 1 amp fuse inside it, so if you want to go direct to the SAE you best add a 1 amp fuse inline.

Do not cut the wire , do not monkey around with it, because you will lose the functionality of the cig lighter voice . The cheapest easiest way to get what you want is a cig lighter female to SAE plug. https://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47968 . There are many many sources for this gizmo, or you can make your own .

Another easy way to get what you want is to take the 110 V wall plug and cut it in two and put an SAE connector on each cut end. Connect the two together to use in the wall socket and to use on the bike just use the end with the SAE and the garmin plug. If you cut this wire you will see only one power wire , the ground is a kind of foily wrap that wraps around the pos wire. You can easily connect this ground thingamajig to the neg wire of the SAE. I have done this with happy results for 2 years , no sparks no smoke. :yahoo:

Every garmin gps is different- some run on one specific voltage others can handle a wide range. My 376C can take up to 24 volts. The 2720 is designed specifically for 12 v, with a max of 13.8. You kind find this info in the Appendix to the Owners Manual. The 2720 cig lighter has a 1 amp fuse inside it, so if you want to go direct to the SAE you best add a 1 amp fuse inline.
Do not cut the wire , do not monkey around with it, because you will lose the functionality of the cig lighter voice . The cheapest easiest way to get what you want is a cig lighter female to SAE plug. https://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47968 . There are many many sources for this gizmo, or you can make your own .

Another easy way to get what you want is to take the 110 V wall plug and cut it in two and put an SAE connector on each cut end. Connect the two together to use in the wall socket and to use on the bike just use the end with the SAE and the garmin plug. If you cut this wire you will see only one power wire , the ground is a kind of foily wrap that wraps around the pos wire. You can easily connect this ground thingamajig to the neg wire of the SAE. I have done this with happy results for 2 years , no sparks no smoke. :yahoo:
Too late, I all ready used the cig lighter cable. I wanted to get rid of the speaker because it's not waterproof. The 2720 zooms in when you approach a turn, so I'll just need to glance at the screen occasionally. I put another SAE connector on the plug end I cut off so I can use it in the car too. If I really want to hear the voice guidance, I could get a little 4 wire connector somewhere(radio shack?) and hook the remaining wires back together, but I doubt I'll miss it. Besides, I'd have to remove all the electrical tape I used to cover them up and make sure the connections are waterproof. I did replace the 15 amp fuse in the battery tender line with a 5 amp I had and tested the battery tender function; it worked, but I'm going to replace it with a 1 amp just to be safe. Oh, btw...the red wire is + and the black is ground in case anyone else wants to try this. It makes for a clean install, I have a RAM mount on the clutch lever side and my battery tender line I have coming out the hole behind the steering stem, so all I needed was a short cable to connect to it. Whenever I stop for lunch/whatever all I'll have to do is disconnect the SAE plug; loosen the RAM mount and put the whole thing in a sidecase. Easy peasy, no long cord to wrap around the handlebar, but enough slack to not bind from lock to lock, and I still have the lighter plug in the glove box to charge the cell phone or the Gopro camera! Wooo-hoo!

Too late, I all ready used the cig lighter cable. I wanted to get rid of the speaker because it's not waterproof. The 2720 zooms in when you approach a turn, so I'll just need to glance at the screen occasionally. I put another SAE connector on the plug end I cut off so I can use it in the car too. If I really want to hear the voice guidance, I could get a little 4 wire connector somewhere(radio shack?) and hook the remaining wires back together, but I doubt I'll miss it. Besides, I'd have to remove all the electrical tape I used to cover them up and make sure the connections are waterproof. I did replace the 15 amp fuse in the battery tender line with a 5 amp I had and tested the battery tender function; it worked, but I'm going to replace it with a 1 amp just to be safe. Oh, btw...the red wire is + and the black is ground in case anyone else wants to try this. It makes for a clean install, I have a RAM mount on the clutch lever side and my battery tender line I have coming out the hole behind the steering stem, so all I needed was a short cable to connect to it. Whenever I stop for lunch/whatever all I'll have to do is disconnect the SAE plug; loosen the RAM mount and put the whole thing in a sidecase. Easy peasy, no long cord to wrap around the handlebar, but enough slack to not bind from lock to lock, and I still have the lighter plug in the glove box to charge the cell phone or the Gopro camera! Wooo-hoo!
Excellent!!!
Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

that's me , day late and a dollar short ;)