Connector Maintenance

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
It all started with a starting problem.. Slow cranking. Replaced battery.. Several times over 3 weeks, press starter button, hear relay.. no action at starter motor. Nothing, nada, Zip. Error code xx showing ECU not happy.

Check the ECU connector. Looked good enough.

The male pins look ok too.

One final check of the females..

KrZy8 has many grounds.This one looks good.

I don't rain ride often in central kali and I don't wash either. Imagine this then..
This is the fan relay.
I do not ring

Really? It was still working.

..and this relay in better but not good condition. Sorry, did not record what this one is..

The main battery/engine ground is clean.

Upskirt view of the triple-tree..

..and this dangling connector.. what the hell does it do?

What a mess.

B+ connections..

Pix taken to ensure future routing reassembly once nose is removed..

The onerous headlight adjust cable...

..and abandoned in place wiring... It's going to be cleaned up...

Note to self.. Buy new windshield screws..

HID wiring routing..

Clearwater LED connector is clean.

Clearwater wiring routing.

Nose removal. First the screen, then the brackets.. KaitsDad, Thank You for excellent writeup.

OK, dCarver first this part then that part.

MONEY SHOT. Starter connector after relay and before starter motor. Don't ask me why I put this connector in. Maybe, without the access luxury provided by removing the forks, lower cowlings, and nose piece.. I needed this connector.. I don't know.. What I see is a corroded connector = resistance = heat = possible starter performance issues? I am hoping this is the proverbial smoking gun.!

I have been labeling to keep track and make life easier in the future. It's not easy keeping a 9 year old bike fully, FULLY roadworthy and run to 200k miles.

..and it was hot today.. 101F. Hard to stay focused and interested..

My labeling machine ran out of tape, so yellow electrician tape it is!

FjRay is working on a 1960 BMW of mine. It has maybe 12 wires..

Say goodnight, KrZy8. Know that Dad love you. And we WILL get to 200K Smiles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would seriously consider some better method of power distribution..... Even if it's just to a barrier strip under that upper fairing.

(Oh, where did i ever come up with that idea????):

P1010096.JPG

You can divide this up however you like by snipping one of the bridges at the top, and then just one power line from the battery, and one ground line, and the strip can supply everything else. All your fused power taps get their own terminal on the strip, and your battery terminal stays much cleaner and less congested. This was as found when I bought the bike, only 7 and 8 used for power, 1 through 6 for ground. I have since evened it out by cutting the bridge between 4 and 5 and connecting 6 and 7, so it's half and half now. Power comes from a relay triggered by the running lights, so it's switched power. The only accessory I have that's constantly hot is the GPS, and its draw is next to nothing and goes right to the battery.

Thank you for taking the time to document this. Excellent pictures.

I would definitely be treating every connector with ACF-50, I just can't speak too highly of that stuff............

Actually fellas, the best idea I came away with from all these pics is organizing fasteners in a muffin or cupcake tin. Silly me, I've been wasting money and landfill space using ziplock baggies all this time.

Where is ACF-50 bought? No one around here knows what the Hell I'm talking about when I ask if they have it.
It comes in a spray can or as a liquid. I prefer the liquid as it gives me more options on how I apply it. It's always possible to put a small amount in a (pump type) spray bottle.

Sorry I can't help with advice on where to get it in the US, I have always bought mine on the internet.............. (flea bay usually works best).

DC,
Just curious....does the "header wrap" do a darn bit of good?
Yes, it accelerates his progress toward his next issue when the head pipes start to rot through :) The heat has to go someplace, if he restricts it at the head pipes the cats will get darn hot and the exhaust pipes will start to damage the side bag plastic.

DC, only problem with the pictures are that they hide your lift ya rat.

What did my dad use to say, humm, oh ya, "If I had the lift and you had a feather up your butt, we would both be tickled to death".

Here's hoping that connector was the smoking gun.

Where is ACF-50 bought? No one around here knows what the Hell I'm talking about when I ask if they have it.
I have a TL1000R. They have two connectors known for corroding. I just juiced them up with some dielectric grease and have never had a problem with them, FWIW.

Booeshield T-9 is another product I have heard good reports about, also Internet sourced. https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

How did you get all those wires connected to the + terminal of the battery. I gave up while trying to connect a third wire and went to an Eastern Beaver fusebox which I installed under the seat. Much less frustration making connections afterwards.

I have a TL1000R. They have two connectors known for corroding. I just juiced them up with some dielectric grease and have never had a problem with them, FWIW.
Yes.. some of those connectors I applied the D-Grease to, but not all. Somehow, applying a grease that DECREASES conductivity seems counter intuitive. This time though, all connectors cleaned with BrakeKleen, then CRC Electri-Clean, then Dioxin, then D-Grease. All connectors labeled too!

Booeshield T-9 is another product I have heard good reports about, also Internet sourced. https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/
How did you get all those wires connected to the + terminal of the battery. I gave up while trying to connect a third wire and went to an Eastern Beaver fusebox which I installed under the seat. Much less frustration making connections afterwards.
It's easy, really. Got a longer length lead 'bolt' and the wires just drop in place.

....so tomorrow marks a good day. Re-assembly.

Cleaned and greased all moving parts on the windscreen up-down unit. What a mess that was. Living on a dirt road and all. Everything I own, even me, is dirty and squeaks.

Re-routed all wiring, especially the ClearWater lights harnesses, so I can have good access to the headlight connectors. I hope it all fits when I try to put the nose back on in the morning.

Pix to follow.

I cannot remember how I discovered my local stealership was supposed to carry ACF-50, and when I asked they had never heard of the stuff, and were surprised they were indeed listed as a retailer. They ordered a couple of cans - one for me and one for their wrench.

When/if I run out, I'll probably just order online.

Lear Chemical has a 'where to buy' page , worth checking in case there's a retailer near you.

It's great stuff for sure.