Considering an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intrinsic

Reaction score
Hello

I currently own a 04 BMW K12GT, but I am considering selling it an buying a used FJR. I understand that the FJR got improved airflow management in 06 which reduced the heat on the rider, so I am looking for a newer model.

I would appreciate any insights folks can give me on how to select I good used FJR.

Thanks

I have a 2004 and the heat, even on that early bike, never really bothers me but (1) ATGATT and (2) I am more concerned with the bike's temperature than mine. As long as the beast is moving everything is fine (somewhat like a shark). In stop-and-go traffic with temps above 85 or so, the bike gets quite warm. That said, mine has never overheated. As far as finding a good one, it's a lot like any used vehicle (one owner, full service records, never dumped, lots of upgrades thrown in, little-old-lady-only-rode-it-to-synagogue-on-Saturdays).

Hello
I currently own a 04 BMW K12GT, but I am considering selling it an buying a used FJR. I understand that the FJR got improved airflow management in 06 which reduced the heat on the rider, so I am looking for a newer model.

I would appreciate any insights folks can give me on how to select I good used FJR.

Thanks
You might want to add where your from in your profile. If you live Kanadah. buy the GENI you will need the extra heat. :rolleyes:

If you live in texas go with the GENII,

Dave

I owned an '05 and now I own an '08! You are correct. The new air flow system on the 2006 and up is much better! But their are heat fixes on the site here to help with an earlier FJR if you should find a great deal.

Good Luck they are great bikes!

MJ

I have only owned a Gen II FJR. Each time I ride it, I am reminded of what a great bike it is. Buying used, either from a dealer or a private owner, it would make sense to have it checked out by a mechanic that you trust and to talk to the most recent owner about the history and maintenance of the bike.

Hi Intrinsic,

consider no more, buy much loved GEN1. You to will learn to love the smell of roasting nuts.

Regards

Surly

:ph34r:

My recently purchased 2009 has no heat issues in Florida during the hottest July in many years. The problem was fixed in 2006 I believe. A search for a used FJR might result in a fantastic deal. That's what happened to me. It's such a good deal I don't want to give the details as I basically stole the thing as I encountered a motivated seller.

Good luck, Bill

If you want to really learn about the FJR, bring your butt and your BMW to NAFO in Knoxville Tennessee. :yahoo: :clapping:

After that, whenever you look at an FJR, your face will look like this: :dribble:

Resistance is futile!

clicky

I have an 08 AE and live in Tennessee. Unfortunately we have had temps in the mid to high 90s for weeks now. It does get hot at low speed on body parts not the motor or cooling system.On occasion I try to point my toes out to side and move my knees away from the tank It does help. Hard to do for more then 30 sec or so. When its over 90 outside its just hot air blowing by you even at highway speeds. Wish we had dry heat like arizona