Continental Road Attacks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throttlejockeyTJ

throttlejockeyTJ
Reaction score
I have read nothing but praise for them. An article said BMW is going to use them as OE. I loved Contis in the 70's & 90's when I quit riding. Cayon Chassers did a 1 front 2 rear extensive test with other tires in background and doesn't want to go back. They run at low temps so they have good grip and excellent feedback. Question is, Are they right for the FJR? TJ

https://canyonchasers.net/reviews/accessories/road-attack.php

I checked search and didn't find anything. Supposed to be most popular tire in EU.

One of the Forum Admins has run the Conties. He was -- ahem, not impressed. To edit down and paraphrase his tire report:

Gosh, darn, those tires were not all that I expected and I'm sure dissapointed. The construction of the tires is too weak for the FJR and causes the handling to be less than what is should be. It is my humble opinion that these tires may not meet everyone’s expectations

Some of you old timers may remember Mr. 'Child's tire report. Can anyone enrichen the collective by reposting it?

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

:wacko: :dribble: :crazy: :butcher: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!! :lmaosmiley:

Edit: Did a quick search of EZ and .ws and can't find it. That was a true classic, though!

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked FJR Owners and found this thread. There was a re-printed technical response from Conti.

Robert,

Thanks for your feedback! Conti Germany recommends the ContiForce Max for the front and for the rear they recommend either the Road Attack or the ContiForce Max. The Road Attack is going to give you more mileage and the Force Max is going to trade some mileage for higher grip. If you are happy with the performance of the Road Attack on the rear I would stick with it and run it in combination with the ContiForce Max on the front.

Safe Riding & Best Regards,

Greg Reich

Continental Tire North America, Inc.

https://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.p...highlight=conti

yes... I am the above person, Robert, Fjroamer.

This issue has been around on FJR forums and some folks (not even having used the Conti's) have distorted some issues. Here's (my perspective) of the plain and simple; Warchild and I (among others) were some of the first to try the Road Attacks on the FJR, not without some negative impressions and we immediately contacted Conti's Rep and German engineers. My impression was less severe than W.C.'s but I don't discredit his impressions as most likely, his demands for/on a tire are more excessive than mine(?).W.C and I had some private discussions on these issues and that's the way they will remain.

The facts: Conti immediately addressed the issues. The front R.A. was labeled "not the best choice" for the FJR and many "complainers" were offered free replacement "Force-Max" fronts, with different profile and construction. The Road Attacks (front) are of "flimsy" single ply sidewalls and mfg. in Korea. Under severe front braking, they would squirm around, being less than confidence inspiring. I developed major decel wobble as the tire wore on, unlike any other tire I've used (others have different testimonies). The rear seemed pretty well up to the task. I ran the set to 7,500 miles and concluded "they were o.k." under conservative riding, one up and did well in wet and varying road conditions. BUT, I always felt there were better tires out there for the Feejer.

On other forums, on lighter or less h.p. bikes, this seems to be an excellent tire choice and I will not contest others experiences on other bikes. I have just put on the Pirelli Diablo Strada EMS tires and find them to be superior to the Contis. Even if I pay a little more, it's worth the peace of mind of knowing I'm running a better tire. Why compromise when it comes to perhaps one of the most important (safety) aspects of riding?

Well, that's just my assessment, and my exchanges w/ Greg at Conti were helpful, courteous and prompt. I will not badmouth the folks or the tire, just state that for this particular bike (FJR) there appear to be better choices. Hope this was objectively helpful...., Roamer

Glad you chimmed in. In the 70's to the 90's I had Yamahas an XS1100 on which I loved the Conti Twins K112's. Being in similar weight ranges I was curious about the new tires.

If you could be more specific on the Stradas characteristics. Thanks Robert. TJ

I would suggest a "search" on this site and fjrowners forum re. the stradas so as not to

drag this out ... but, in a nutshell:

Other owners experiences may be more insightful than mine as I only have recently fitted them. I ride solo (180 lb), lightly loaded and of a "controlled brisk" pace, not afraid to push it a bit. The Pirellis fall into corners, hold their line, and stay planted better than the other brands I've used. They seem unaffected by rain grooves and broken or scored pavement. Brief runs on wet roads exhibit no negative affects and lastly, I've yet to read any real negative reviews for this tire on any FJR forum (although I'm sure they will follow)

As well, I've experienced the least decel wobble with this tire (virtually none) than I have with others (the Conti RA being the worst). If I can get over 7,500 miles (with my riding style) and the tires still handle well at extended miles, I will be most satisfied with them and will give an honest assesment if they don't satisfy.....

Again, this is just one person's input. I don't do track days, nor do I do extensibe Interstate slabbing. I've done one SS1000 but other than that, am not a LDR. Hope this helps.

I am running the road attacks on my Honda vfr after switching from dunlops 208's. They are only single ply and I found that you do not let the air pressure drop into the thirtys as they feel like the sidewall is flexing. At 40 lbs they are ok. Don't think they would be a good tire for my FJR. I am running Avon 46 & 45's on FJR and like them a lot.

:p I hope i just ordered the correct tires, i wanted the pirellie's so I ordered from SWMT.

PLease confirm these should be correct if I have read everything correctly.

03010037 Pirelli Strada 120/70ZR-17 Front

03040035 Pirelli Strada 180/55ZR-17 E FJR1300

:clapping:

I hope i just ordered the correct tires, i wanted the pirellie's so I ordered from SWMT.PLease confirm these should be correct if I have read everything correctly.03010037 Pirelli Strada 120/70ZR-17 Front

03040035 Pirelli Strada 180/55ZR-17 E FJR1300
The following response is NOT FREE

The Pirelli Strada is an appropriate tire for the FJR. The tire sizes and P/N listed are correct.

The bill for this fine reply:

Let me know how they work out for you! I just rode home in the rain and it is apparent that my tires are done 'fer. I'm considering either Stradas or Avons. I'm going to have to do something pretty quick because my tires will not pass inspection next month :eek: