Convex Mirrors;

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

painman

Reaction score
The mirrors being pretty much forward of the driver can cause some blind spots on the FJR. Reading the book, "Going The Extra Mile" by the great LDR Ron Ayers, he mentions using convex mirrors to help eliminate the turning of your head to check for traffic which over an extended period of time just adds another element to make you tired. In my case, I don't have much of a range of motion in my neck to check the blind spots so am most interested in a convex type setup. After checking the motorcycle mirrors available, its either use an automotive type convex mirror which is either too small or too large or use bar-end mirrors which I'm not totally sure if that wouldn't look dorky. Anyone have an idea or use a quality type convex mirror that really works? Thanks, PM. <>< :blink:

I've used Saeng/TA mirrors for years. they have all kinds of mounts.

I took my old ones off my last bike - and will be mounting the old ones as soon as I can get adhesive pad replacements

saeng web site

Chickey191 and Fabone thanks for that info. These quick scans and replacements look like the cats meow. Way better than the parts store junk. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Cycle Gear sells a small spot mirror (Motoboss stick on mirror) that works great when added to your stock mirrors. Using them virtually eliminates the blind spot as when the car next to you disappears from the spot mirror you simultaneously pick them up in your peripheral vision.

Ditto on the multivex...I have used them on all my bikes...great folks to work with.

If they don't have one for your mirror they will tell you how to make a template out of a sheet of paper and send it to them and they will make them up.

I don't recall them being that pricey...think I paid around $60 for a set.

Ride Safe

Ron

I've been thinking about getting a set of FZ1 mirrors for my '04, but just now ordered Multivex lenses instead.

I know the 06 FJR mirrors are convex, but wonder how much more convex the multivex mirrors are? I want to keep the bike looking as original as possible and this could be accomplished with the multivex. PM. <><

I sent Multivex a template for my 06. Just waiting on the cost and availability. :clapping:
Thanks for doing that. I will email them and add to the order...that may help. Multivex mirrors are awesome.

Ron

I received the ordered Multivex mirrors for my '04 and they look well made but...

...I'm not sure I'll use them. I had expected they would completely cover the stock lenses and provide a factory-installed appearance. Not so. The cut shape is both somewhat smaller profile than the stock lenses -and- thick double-sided tape will be visible for all to see (like a double decker bus). Yeah I know "form follows function". Am I being too anal???

I received the ordered Multivex mirrors for my '04 and they look well made but...
...I'm not sure I'll use them. I had expected they would completely cover the stock lenses and provide a factory-installed appearance. Not so. The cut shape is both somewhat smaller profile than the stock lenses -and- thick double-sided tape will be visible for all to see (like a double decker bus). Yeah I know "form follows function". Am I being too anal???
I just installed Multivex on my 05. I must say that the function is phenomenal! But the form is definitely lacking. I would now be willing to pay another $50 to get the same mirror mounted in the stock frame. The edges bother me. The tape bothers me. It just looks cheezy and homemade. But dear God, do they ever work!

I'm thinking of risking it all and tearing the stock mirrors apart to see if I can mount the Multivex glass using silicone and some type of edge coping.

Anybody have an extra stock mirror I can buy cheap?

Per the "datel in the mirror" farkle it is extremely easy to get the mirror glass out of the stock mirror housings. Take the mirror off the bike, lay it in the oven at 200, let it warm up for 1/2 hour or so, gently pull the mirror housing away from the glass and pry with a plastic stick or putty knife and it comes out so easily it will surprise you. Send THAT as a pattern and the new mirrors should pop right into the housing. Just heat the housing up the same way and pop them in. Extremely easy to change the glass.

BTW....if the white foam backed two sided tape showing bothers you take a black paint pen to it. You'll be surprised at how it disappears when it is black like the mirror housing. Or, if you know how to run a nice smooth bead of silicon, fill in the gap where the tape shows with a bead of black silicon. The "ultra-black" silicone seal is actually a dark gray that matches a lot of the "black" plastic almost perfectly.

I'm thinking of risking it all and tearing the stock mirrors apart to see if I can mount the Multivex glass using silicone and some type of edge coping.
The thing to do would be get a pattern of the original mirror, then send that to Multivex, so they can make a correct larger piece to fit in. Forget the tape on thing all together.

Damn......not fast enough!

Jestal's suggestion sounds like a good one and it would stand to reason that if they had an actual mirror for a template that they would then be able to make others on request. I think the mirrors on my '06 are different and am wondering whether the "bake and pop" method would work the same. I burned the garlic bread last night I can't imagine what I could do to a mirror....

After the appreceiated info from the posts here, I have decided to keep the stock mirrors. Even with the neck mobility problem I have, the stock mirrors are doing their job. I have only realized this by putting in the time on the bike. The factory mirrors are convex and while in traffic with multiple lanes, the only time a vehicle is not visable in the mirrors is when a small vehicle like a copper or VW bug is in the next lane and it is a very small amount of time. So I take the extra precaution when changing lanes and this is done by slightly slowing the bike and move up farther visually into the mirror before making the lane change. The more I ride the more accomplished this is for me and safer. To check this, let the approaching vehicle in the lane next to you come up and pass. Watch the vehicle in the mirror with your head looking straight ahead, watch it come into the mirror and notice when you pick it up with your peripherial side view still looking forward and when the image leaves the mirror. The mirrors are doing their job. I don't know about previous years and if the mirrors are convex but this is working for me right now on the 06. PM. <>< :D