Coolant Leak (schmutz) Cleanup ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faster675

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how best to clean up this mess:

Yammi_Coolant_1.jpg

Yammi_Coolant_4.jpg

I will be replacing thermostat and all three O-rings on "thermostat housing assembly tubes"

Last edited by a moderator:
If the engine is runnable - warm it up and then wash the whole area with a pressure washer. You may need a a small brush to get in and loosen any baked on crap................

Anything that can be scraped and vacumed first and then as the Bug man said. Citrus based cleaners are really good and don't damage parts. I think a pressure might be a bit to violent.

Problem with pressure washing, or even high-pressure hose washing, is that water can be introduced where it shouldn't. Use of high pressure cleaning is better restricted to areas that don't have seals, bearings, electrical connections of any kind.

Citrus based cleaners are OK, but avoid full strength, and rinse repeatedly

Wash, rinse, repeat..

You can also make good use of one of those soft bristle cleaning brushes favored by the Hardley crowd. They resemble latrine brushes, but are generally tapered, are flexible, and have nice long soft bristles.

daytona-brushes.jpg

I'd just use something like Inox and a tooth brush.

I'd also blow out the spark plug recesses, amazing what gets in under the rubber boots / caps.

Stops the crap falling into the cylinders on the next spark plug change.

The ends of the coolant pipes will be truly rusted down in their recess.

A bit of penetrating fluid down there as well if you ever want to remove the bolts that clamp the coolant pipes.