Corbin Seat Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnuckleHead

Freedom isn't free.
Reaction score
So I get home today and my new Corbin seat is on my doorstep. :clapping:

However, when I try to get it installed, it won’t go forward enough. It is about 1/2 short if getting the little rubber bumpers into the holes. The instructions say that the "latch bracket is adjustable" but I sure don’t see how the hell it could be adjustable unless my definition of a latch bracket is different from theirs.

Can someone with a Corbin help a brother out here? I tried calling Corbin, but at 5:30 on Friday it is not surprising that I didn’t get an answer.

I don't have a Corbin, I've got a Sargent... but I read somewhere that the Corbin requires that you remove the little plastic piece that provides the hi-lo height adjustment for the stock seat. If you didn't do this, that could be the problem.

The other thing I can offer is that on Corbin's web site they give installation instructions with pictures, and these might be clearer than those that came in your box. The url is https://www.corbin.com/yamaha/yfjr1306.shtml. Look under the "Notes" tab on this page.

When I got mine I had to use a piece of metal bar I had laying about as a lever to force the seat foward enough for it to drop in the holes.

The good news is after you do this a few times the front of the seat wears in and forcing it is no longer required.

KM

Oh good, so its not just me. I did remove the plastic piece already. I will give Knifemakers, um, subtle approach a try.

So I get home today and my new Corbin seat is on my doorstep. :clapping:
However, when I try to get it installed, it won’t go forward enough. It is about 1/2 short if getting the little rubber bumpers into the holes. The instructions say that the "latch bracket is adjustable" but I sure don’t see how the hell it could be adjustable unless my definition of a latch bracket is different from theirs.

Can someone with a Corbin help a brother out here? I tried calling Corbin, but at 5:30 on Friday it is not surprising that I didn’t get an answer.
If you haven't already done so, you will need to remove the black bracket that was originally under the stock seat on the FJR because you can't install the Corbin seat with it still in place.

IMG_4120.jpg

Yeah, as I mentioned above, I have already removed the plastic piece.

I have yet to get the seat on right. I am getting closer, but only by using a pri bar and using enough force to just about put the bike off the center stand.

This is pretty lame...for $500 the damn thing should slip right on.

I have yet to get the seat on right. I am getting closer, but only by using a pri bar and using enough force to just about put the bike off the center stand.
This is pretty lame...for $500 the damn thing should slip right on.
I like most Corbin seats and have had good luck with them on several bikes over the years... however I know several guys who have been less than impressed with Corbin's follow up after the sale. If the seat doesn't fit, they have told some of my friends that their bike must be out of spec. This makes no sense.

In spite of the above though, you ought to give Corbin a call on Monday and see if they can walk you through it. It may be something simple.

The Corbin seat I bought for my DL1000 did not fit right out of the box. I could see how to make it fit by bending a tongue that was supposed to catch under the frame, but I didn't want to bend it and then have problems with warranty claims later, so I called them. The guy I talked to acted as though I were an idiot and told me to just go ahead and bend it. The bending was a two person job because the steel was pretty stout and one person needed to hold a position while the other did the bending.

In any event, we made it fit, and the seat turned out to be a great seat.... it's lower position made the handling better (lower cg), and the broader saddle style support was very comfortable. When I traded that bike I put the stock seat back on and sold the Corbin separately. If these aftermarket seats from Corbin and Sargent do nothing else well, they sure tend to hold their value.

Good luck!

I have over 30K miles on my Corbin now, and it is still tight when I need to get it back on the bike. It does get better over time, but it will always be very snug. Also, the locking latch on my bike sticks open, so make sure the latch is resetting so that it catches on the Corbin. Otherwise, all you can do is keep trying. If the bumpers on the bottom of the seat are close to going into the holes in the frame, you could get them lined up, and then bounce on the seat. I have had to do that once or twice. Better tight than loose; uh you know what I mean.

I have a sargent on my FJR but had a Corbin on my last bike (FJ1200). While it was a big improvement over the stock seat it didn't fit when I got it. It wouldn't latch and I ended up shimming the latches to move them lower. The quality of the seat pan on the corbin is rough compared to the stock or my new Sargent. I suspect they don't have a very "true" mold.

Make sure your latch is in the correct position, put the seat on, line up the front and push from the rear until it moves into the holes. Then place on the rear by lining up the back of the rear seat first.

I had to push mine very, very hard forward and down slightly to get it to first go on. It gets easier and takes much, much less effort over time. I loved Corbin seats over the years and have owned many. But this one for the FJR could have been better.

Last edited by a moderator: