Corbin seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
My corbin seat got wet coming home from Americade yesterday. I looked at this mourning and the passenger seat seat (charcol carbon fiber look leather) is all buckled up. I had a tourmaster bag on the seat but the area where is was exposed to the rain looks like shit. Will it come back, do you think it got into the foam, should I use a hair dryer to try to dry it?

Leather is a natural material, I would let it dry naturally, and you can use some saddle soap to clean it up. Massage it into form now while it's damp. The foam may be wet underneath, but it will dry out eventually. I wouldn't use much heat, if any, perhaps air, no heat.

Had the same prob with the Corbin on my FJ1200. It will dry out just fine eventually. Bigger problem was that on a 4 day trip thru Quebec and NH the seat got wet on the first nite and I had serious wet arse syndrome for the rest of the trip. The Corbin that I just got for the FJR is vinyl..

I've gotten my Corbin's wet before , they do dry out , and once conditioned look fine. If I know I'm in for a wet trip , it's easy to switch seats, or bring a cover . You might want to consider getting the Spencer seat mod for your stock seat for such occasions, at $70 it's a good deal for those wet trips.

I've had several Corbin seats with leather seating surfaces. They get wet. They dry out. If I'm at home, I use a towel. If I'm at a hotel, I use their towel.

Do not go near it with a hair dryer. That's a sure fire way to ruin the leather. Once you've toweled it off, let the air take care of the drying for you. I'm pretty sure that the Corbin foam (and the Sargent foam) are both "closed cell" foam products, and should not become spongelike if they are exposed to rain. I know that my seats (Corbin and Sargent both) have NOT become spongelike when caught in the rain.

A little off subject but I never use a hotel towel [anymore]. Staying at a Saranac Lake, NY motel, after a rainy nite a riding bud and I dried the seats and tanks with motel towels and the motel charged my card $20 x 3 towels and nothin' I could do about it..

A little off subject but I never use a hotel towel [anymore]. Staying at a Saranac Lake, NY motel, after a rainy nite a riding bud and I dried the seats and tanks with motel towels and the motel charged my card $20 x 3 towels and nothin' I could do about it..
Depends on the place .. I stayed at the Rosewood in in Bryson City NC recently, they lady that runs it is real sweet , she brought us towels for our bikes without asking. Clean rooms and only $45 a night. good restraunts within walking distance and great riding all around.

Depends on the place .. I stayed at the Rosewood in in Bryson City NC recently, they lady that runs it is real sweet , she brought us towels for our bikes without asking. Clean rooms and only $45 a night. good restraunts within walking distance and great riding all around.
i use a meguire product to condition the leather on the seat. i dont know whats in it, but it repels water. i use it about once a month and have never had the issue your describing.

GreyGoose

My corbin seat got wet ...looks like shit. Will it come back, ...to dry ...?
My S.O. rode with a leather Corbin for years -- but always carried a waterproof seat protector for it and put it on whenever necessary. It was a manufactured nylon cover with elastic edging -- so, she bought it somewhere...

The Corbin was fine for the duration. (of course, it never got wet...). :blink:

Unless you kept the towels, or unless you were drying off road tar, I'd say you could'a won that one. I just put the towels on the floor in the bathroom, along with the other towels used during the stay. Housekeeping takes care of them. Its nice to leave them a tip for their trouble, but not required.